Author Topic: Monkey-CO's Log  (Read 24408 times)

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
Re: Monkey-CO's Log
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
Thanks Muse!! It feels good to be back  :)

9-13-08

Conditioning:
APK WOTD
Warmup: Slow jog, 10 skullcrushers, 10 pushups, stretching

Rounds for time 15:00
100 m sprint
15 bench dips (only supposed to do 10, whoops!)
15 squats

I got 8 rounds

I almost puked

I feel good now
  :)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
This made me giggle:

I got 8 rounds

I almost puked

I feel good now  :)

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:32 AM »
Thanks Muse!! It feels good to be back  :)

9-13-08

Conditioning:
APK WOTD
Warmup: Slow jog, 10 skullcrushers, 10 pushups, stretching

100 m sprint
15 bench dips (only supposed to do 10, whoops!)
15 squats

I got 8 rounds

I almost puked

I feel good now

ZOMG YOU DID THIS WORKOUT IN THE FUTURE!!!  How did u jump a month ahead to do a WOD!? :P

Nausea is the goal here :P  good work.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
Ha ha..indeed Chris...I train so hard i go...

Wait for it....

BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS: Glad I could give you a giggle Muse  :)

!8!-14-08

Rest day, was in meetings and school functions 'till 8PM
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »
8-15-08
Friday ended up being a wash as well...back to school stinks!!
We did get out to see Dark Knight finally....that movie is AWESOME!!!!

8-16-08
COPK class at Boulder...
This was the week I felt like I really came back....class a few weeks ago was rough with the altitude change and this week I was all amped up from the National jam! Plus, Carolynn is back from S. America so it really felt like old times!!

Also worked out a schedule where I can stay for both classes/jam which is really great!

Beginner class was basics...long warmup and conditioning to start followed by basic gymnastics and some courses. We finished off with some blind training which was different and fun.
Intermediate class began with 10 second drills which I hadn't done before. We then spent the rest of the time jamming around town which is always good fun! We also discovered a new spot downtown and spent a lot of time working some bouldering-ish problems on the state building.
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »
8-17-08

Conditioning:

Pushups were pretty weak at class on Saturday, so decided to try and grease the groove a bit...did 10 pushups every 1/2 hour from 11:30AM to 5:30 PM.
Total: 120 pushups
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
8-18-08

Conditioning:
Basic exercises:
50 situps
20 (4x5) pullups (think I gotta grease these to get back to my PB!)
20 pushups
minor parallette work

Want to be mostly fresh for class tomorrow!
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
8-18-08
I did something...
I can't remember  :-\

8-19-08

Parkour:
First time down to Denver Parkour Academy!
I was a really good time!

I felt crummy and tired after work and almost went home, but turned around and went to class instead.

The classes in Denver are fantastic! Gym Riki and the surrounding area is another great Denver hotspot!!!

Warmed up with the beginner class and then switched to the intermediate.
Highlights of the night:
getting a wall run
challenges outside
Travis' "bad foot" takeoff training
Training during the week  :D

-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
8-20-08
Rest Day

8-21-08

Back at Gym Riki for class again...going to try and do this every week...great motivation for midweek training.
Highlight of the might: 10 second 1-hand handstand!!! Against the wall..but still felt really cool!!

So..3 hours of Parkour training
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »
Long week work-wise....didn't get off until at least 6PM each night!!

Went for a nice backpack last weekend...5 miles in, beautiful sleep out near this alpine lake, then returned the next day...gorgeous!

Work interfered w/training this week...and will pretty much rule out training during the week this month as trip season goes out.

Today was wonderful though:

8-31-08

Class in boulder...helped coach the beginners, then did fitness testing during intermediate class.
Though I did lower overall than most of the other guys...I think I got some PBs today. certainly felt "on"

After Chipotle, we hit Park Place...relearned a tic tac I did last year, and Ryan helped me with climb-up cats and a good climb-up drill!

Gorgeous weather and fun times!!!  ;D
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »
Ugh...I am a horrible journaller...

Gone but not..you know..gone..he he

Trip season is upon me...(only two weeks left now) and I've been averaging only 48-72 hours at home each week, with the balance spent out in the field with students.

Been on a lot of wonderful trips with kids (rock climbing in Vedawoo was a highlight) and training on the weekends at COPK classes.
Really trying to be thoughtful on student feedback during beginners class and then pushing myself hard during second class.

Unfortunately I sprained my ankle REALLY badly last Saturday...during warmups!  >:(
So that hurt all week and made it so I couldn't race the kindergartners and 1st graders I had on trip this week...just hobble along behind the energy ball of 25 younglings  :)

Glad to be back training though (even though it's only 1 day a week) I feel like I've turned another corner in my Parkour life, punched through a barrier and am ready to take it to the next level!!! I'm having a lot of really good "aha" moments that are showing me how to do things more efficiently and/or properly. And I'm having fun again!!!

New goals to work on after trip season:

8 ft broadjump (currently 7'6" on a good day)
Planche and front lever practice every day
Get muscleups back
Reorganise garage so I have a small workout space for rings and other instruments of torture fun
Get six-pack back  :)

Cheerio!!!
Monkey
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »
Trip season is over!!!  ;D

Had a lot of fun this fall..great trips and great kids!!

Been going to Saturday classes every week..nursing the ankle, but focusing on upper body and coaching skills.

As promised...worked planche progression (froggy stance) for 60 sec total time today...best rep: @ 18 sec.
-Japanese Proverb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »
Ugh..banished to the 6th page!!!

Looking at goals from October:

Get muscleups back
Reorganise garage so I have a small workout space for rings and other instruments of torture fun
Get six-pack back  Smiley

Broadjump is improving, planche and front lever practice has fallen away, muscleups still suck, but working on them, garage is (slowly) coming together, fat around middle is ever-present  >:(

Weekend classes have been going very well...got to step in and do more instruction this fall which felt good!
Intermediate classes/workouts have been really positive and "learningful" (new word). Lots of new skills and breakthroughs!

I did an eight foot lache a few weeks ago..felt huge and really good to land...now have it almost dialed and feel more like a monkey than ever!!

Weekday training has fallen off....very tired after work and after-school programs. Would like to get back to weekday classes in Denver to motivate me but its sooo easy to just get in the car and head home when it's already dark and I'm bushed.

CATS open gym should be fun to start hitting again this winter....I'm going to have to get someone to give me tips on backflips so I can finally get them nailed this winter.

Altogether feeling positive by my progression..but as always..there is massive room for improvement!  ;)
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
Ugh..banished to the 6th page!!!

Looking at goals from October:

Get muscleups back
Get six-pack back  Smiley

Broadjump is improving, planche and front lever practice has fallen away, muscleups still suck, but working on them, garage is (slowly) coming together, fat around middle is ever-present  >:(

Weekend classes have been going very well...got to step in and do more instruction this fall which felt good!
Intermediate classes/workouts have been really positive and "learningful" (new word). Lots of new skills and breakthroughs!

I did an eight foot lache a few weeks ago..felt huge and really good to land...now have it almost dialed and feel more like a monkey than ever!!

Weekday training has fallen off....very tired after work and after-school programs. Would like to get back to weekday classes in Denver to motivate me but its sooo easy to just get in the car and head home when it's already dark and I'm bushed.

CATS open gym should be fun to start hitting again this winter....I'm going to have to get someone to give me tips on backflips so I can finally get them nailed this winter.

Altogether feeling positive by my progression..but as always..there is massive room for improvement!  ;)

Jim,

I think you may be trying to do too much at once and getting caught up in logging it all and working on it.  For your lifestyle, you may want to consider focusing 100% on 2 things instead of 100% on 6 things...because on top of working explicitly towards your goals you also do things like go to the PK classes and run your own adventure stuff with your school.  I only say this because it seems like some things are "falling off" like FL and PL practice as well as weekday training. Last thing you should become is a "weekend warrior"!  If you isolate just working on muscle ups every night for 15 minutes, whether its sets and reps of negatives or maybe even GTG throughout the day it should be a lot more manageable.  If this is too cumbersome u can do as little as 10 minutes a night on FL and PL work to advance these skills -- if these are the only 2 things you do during the week you will progress on them VERY quickly.

Only a suggestion, but I think you may want to consider logging your daily food intake and adjusting your diet.  Just carry a little pad around with you everywhere and every time you put something into your mouth u write it down on the pad.  At the end of the day, time allowing, transfer it as best as you can into a www.fitday.com profile to see your caloric intake/ratios.  Even if you don't get to log it into fit day, writing down EVERYTHING you eat seriously makes you consider the foods you put into your body and most certainly helps with weight loss.  A few weeks of this and the fat around the middle should melt away VERY quickly, as well.

Hope I helped on some level!  Keep up the good work and tell Brenda I said hey :)

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
Chris,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. You are absolutely right in your noticing that I stretch myself too thin. I really like you idea of dedicating smaller chunks of time on specific goals rather than getting lost and overwhelmed trying to do everything at once!!!

I took a look at fitday.com and will try it out. We actually eat very well for the most part (mostly local, homecooked, vegetarian food)..but I must admit that I have no idea what my caloric intake is...and I don't think I'm super fat fat....I just hang around all the skinny COPK guys all the time and they are my comparison!!

Happy holidays and hope to see you up in our neck of the woods soon!!!

Cheers
Jim

PS: Brenda says holla back  ;D
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »
PS: Brenda says holla back  ;D

haha :)

Yeh, I wouldn't consider you fat either -- but fat loss is definitely a goal of yours..and most of the COPK guys are way to skinny anyway haha :)  Fitday may be an eye-opener for you.  It is similar to someone who never keeps track of their expenses then suddenly monitors their spending.  Usually it sounds something like "WOW I spent 600 bucks on Food and Beer that month?!" but instead its, "WOW I ate 900 calories in carbs from pasta in that meal?!"  It will definitely make you more intimate with your meals which is always a good thing when you are striving to be as 'in touch' with your body as possible.