Author Topic: 39 Year-Old Male who wants to practice Parkour  (Read 6743 times)

Offline alec2008

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
39 Year-Old Male who wants to practice Parkour
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »
Hi everybody,

this is my first post. I'm a 39 Year-Old Married Male with 2 little kids. My height is 1.75 meters (5.74 Feet I think) and my weight is about 85 kilos (187 pounds I think). I hope I made the conversions correctly to feet and pounds.

I used to practice Tae Kwon Do about 20 years ago and recently read on a movie magazine about a traceur chased by 007, so I got curious and I started to look for material on the internet.

I work in front of a desk now and I'm not in shape (I'm not fat but I have a little belly). I haven't done any excercise since many year ago (I do walk a lot, even though I know it's not enough).

I do want to start practicing Parkour and I will thank anyone who can give me tips on it (I also got some advise from Mark Toorock. Thanks M). I will buy the APK Tutorial DVD but I know I also can get good tips and suggestions here.

I hope I'm not missing any information I can give so I can get better help.

I already read on this section some suggestions for us, over 30. I WILL take it easy, that's something  I will do.

Thank you in advance for your time and tips and hopefully I will be around for quite a while here.

Regards

Alec

;D ;D ;D

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: 39 Year-Old Male who wants to practice Parkour
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:09:31 AM »
Welcome Alec--or should we refer to you as "Metric Man".  (Probably few of us has a clue if you made accurate conversions of your stats.)

Yes, you will find many helpful hints in this particular forum regarding your situation.  A "slow-as-you-go" policy will be your SAFEST bet, especially if your only regular exercise has been walking.  A general overall conditioning regimen (highly reduced chunks of the WOD--"Workout of the Day") will give you all you can handle.  It will address every area you ever thought needed some attention and THEN some.

Please be advised that "gradualism" (taking baby steps) will be your best injury-avoidance protocol.  Pulling, tweaking, straining, and God-forbid BREAKING will majorly cramp your style.  Down-time is no fun, so avoid it at all costs.

The tutorial DVD is excellent as well as their "DISPERSION" DVD.  Take special note of the "outtake" mishaps at the end of "DISPERSION"--it's not all effortless and mistake-less accomplishments--crash-and-burns DO occur and they are better survived by the teens and twenty-somethings than 40+somethings.

Take it slow.  Have a good time.  And be careful.

Be careful & have fun.

Offline alec2008

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »
Thank you David I will follow your advice, too

I found this on the internet that shows even one of the the most experienced people such as David Belle, can fall, but the most important thing is to get back on your feet again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kh8NeG9wf8&mode=related&search=

I liked what I read on this Video...it inspired me

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
APK warm up for basic conditioning. Then, if you want to punish yourself, try the WOD :)
Getting started - Concentrate on landings at first, then try rolls before you work on your vaults.
Jump Westminster show Forrest and Dan training kids in the UK. The beginning part is inspiring, and watching how they train kids will give you an idea of how you can train yourself.

Your metric conversions are dead on, just short of 5'9", 187 #. I know the conversions, but it's easier to just go online.

Because you're heavy [compared to a 64 kg/ 141# marathoner], take it easy running on pavement. Maybe start with swimming or biking to get your body used to moving again, but without the impact. Walking's not intense enough or high speed enough for what you're going to do.

PK's a lot of fun. I see a lot of 2-7 year old kids doing the basic jumping, landing, and some of the balance things. You can combine play time with your kids and physical exercise at the same time. Quad movement [QM = moving around on hands and feet] is great with kids at ground level. I notice that sometimes QM freaks out little kids [ <2 ].

Down time is NO fun. I twisted my ankle last Monday jumping onto safety mats. It still can't handle the jumping/ landing stresses. I've been walking, biking, swimming, jogged [felt good at the time, but not the next day], and tried jumping .3m into a tree to do pull-ups yesterday [still hurts].

Listen carefully to your body. If you're feeling pain, something is wrong, and you need to fix it [if possible].

Offline alec2008

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »
Thank you, mate for the tips.

I specially liked the documentary "Jump Westminster"....it is interesting the way Parkour is taught to begginers (specially kids) and the tools they use to practice....

Question to all APK Forum Members: Do you guys think I as a beginner should use protection on my wrists, ankles, knees and perhaps....elbows?

Have a good day EVERY DAY all of you

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »
3 ways to go:

;D Uber-padded: pad and protect EVERYTHING. Wear a helmet and a mattress. Video yourself and post it, because we were talking about doing PK in tons of protective gear in a different thread, and we think it'd be really funny to watch.

;D Naked: You'll need to be more careful about the moves you make. Start off slow, with soft obstacles and landing areas, in a safe area. Please don't post that video... at least not here at APK.

;) Something in between the 2 extremes. Most people I've seen in videos lean more toward the naked side. Padding can restrict motion, and sometimes it gives you a false sense of security. Wristbands seem to be the protection of choice, sometimes a heavier sweatshirt or hoody when you're starting off/ working on rolls.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
Question to all APK Forum Members: Do you guys think I as a beginner should use protection on my wrists, ankles, knees and perhaps....elbows?

Have a good day EVERY DAY all of you

i debated this a bit when i first started... (LOL, like a few months ago) cause like most people i bashed my shins a bit and in case you haven't experienced the joy of your shin hitting a metal railing at a full run... well... it hurts a little bit :)

so i considered shin guards... like for soccer... in the end i decided against it

why?

pain is an amazing motivator... if i had not paid for my incorrect technique i would not be doing half of what i am now.
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline alec2008

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
My Video naked was not approved, so I uploaded a pic of my ugly face instead, lol  ;D ;D ;D
And I'll take your advise on the clothing for rolling, which I understand is one of the first steps to work first on ground level  ;) ;) ;)

Jason@FiveTen, did you mean chin? If you did, that didn't hurt a "little bit", it can knock you out, I hope it never happens to me while practicing (in my dreams, lol)  ;D ;D ;D
And you're right...pain comes with the territory  :'(

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:42:22 PM »
Shin, as in front of lower part of leg... not chin. If we messed up our chins as much as we messed up our shins, I don't think many of us would still be doing PK. It'd be real easy to spot other traceurs, though.

I've got a nice collection of scars on my shins from hitting concrete, metal and wood.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
I conditioned my shins thoroughly for seven years before beginning parkour. My daily regimen was to bash a wooden board repeatedly against my shins, sometimes until they would bleed. If it hurt, I would just wait a minute or two and then start again. Sometimes, I would also smash them on low brick walls, handrails, curbs, benches, and other objects that were handy. It worked really well, because now I don't have much feeling in my shins anymore. This technique is called skateboarding.

If that doesn't work, you could try what my cousin Lewie did. He was really into martial arts and kick boxing. As part of his training, he was required by his sensei to condition his shins with a rolling pin by sitting down and rolling it up and down the shin bones every day until it was sore. He also lost sensitivity in his shins and developed a thick layer of callous along the ridge of his shin.

I don't know for sure which method is better because I never tried the rolling pin method, but I suspect the skateboarding technique is superior.

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »
At first I thought you were kidding--I then realized you weren't.  No matter what activity you train for, it should NEVER include purposefully inflicting bodily injury upon yourself so as to just go numb to the pain.  The pain signals are there for a reason--to indicate injury is taking place.  There is absolutely NO reason to beat the sh*t out of your shins just so you can avoid the pain in case you happen to misjudge a maneuver.  You are not training for some life-or-death struggle.  It's just about fitness & fun--that's it.
Be careful & have fun.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:21:45 AM »
No, I was joking! I didn't bash my shins on purpose. It just happens ALOT when you skateboard. Basically it's unavoidable if you are learning tricks or doing freestyle.

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
I kind of assumed the skateboarding scenario was part of the occupational hazard--it was the purposeful roller-pin-on-the-shin "training" that caused me to cringe a bit. . .
Be careful & have fun.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
The rolling pin thing was for real! That was an actual part of my cousin's conditioning as a kickboxer, however I would not seriously suggest anyone try that. LOL. :P

Offline alec2008

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
I used to practice Muay Thai years after I did TKD but we never hit ourselves with a board or something like shown on Jean-Claude Van Damme's Kickboxer...

I agree with you David. Pain is a sign we should pay attention to and This should be about fun and fitness.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
There is indeed a good reason why we have been given pain receptors!