Author Topic: Not Parkour, or is it?  (Read 23523 times)

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
Re: Not Parkour, or is it?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »
No worries skip (did I just call you skip?!? ...sorry :))  I got your message, were cool.  Like I said, I understand how it can be tedious.

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 10:44:40 PM »
I dont know if this is off topic, but I've actually used flips efficiently. Well not really flipping but doing double legs. I've learn how to jump/dive high enough and turn myself. So if a wall is too high for me to vault effortlessly, but too low do to a tap up effortlessly, then I just dive-doubleleg it! But once again that situatiion isnt all too often...
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 05:36:03 AM »
Thanks Leonn! :P

Once again, for the sake of this being posted where people of all (and no?) ability may see it, I think it is a more clear message to simply say that Flips are not parkour and then let more advanced people work out their own conclusions.

Allow me to quote myself ... ahem :)
Yes, we could find the one situation in 237,439  where the flip is the perfect move, but for the sake of getting the correct message out to the majority of the people who will read this, it truly is better to say "Flips are not Parkour" and leave it at that.

I don't think it should be boiled down to "efficient, suitable", or anything else in this case, as this argument in general is just so beat to death.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 08:42:56 AM »
...annnnnd ladies and gentlemen the five finger hello goes to no other than the infamous LEON. :P
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 09:53:22 AM »
heh I love being sarcastic to the point where people think im pointing out a great point  ;)

Seen that post I made on the Flips and Parkour thread? *Waits for gear to hand me his sarcasasm award*
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Gearsighted

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 01:10:43 PM »
I refuse to give up my award! ;)

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »
It is fair to say that flips are not parkour but it is also fair to say that the majority of people on parkour sites do/practise what is considered freestyle parkour. That is true for this site and UF. They just might consider it "training" or they just enter into the gray area of not officially labeling it but they DEFINANTLY DO IT. My proof is in the Pic of the Week. I just opened up 3 albums and EVERY SINGLE ONE had a freestyle parkour pic in them (either a handstand, flip, wallflip, or palmspin) I did not come across any disclaimers stating why there are freestyle pics being singled out as being noteworthy on a PARKOUR website. (I  do freestyle parkour and I DO like the pics) but it is misleading. I know this once again makes me appear to be a jerk for bringing this up and I am not trying to anger anyone but my words are the truth. If someone thinks I am not telling the truth: look for yourself or go to the pic/vid thread and watch 10 videos and see how many of them have freestyle in them on this "parkour" site.

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 11:24:45 PM »
Hey Deft...The flips Thread is back open LET us HOT TAIL it to the resolved thread...wait...people have once again unresolved the resovled debate...WOAH IS ME!!! *cries in corner*
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 03:40:23 PM »
Deft, I agree with your point that people on here and other sites do a lot of moves that are not strictly parkour. what I don't agree with is you calling this a Parkour site in capitals (and then in quotes) and saying that "this is misleading". From this site's inception, we have stated that we will be tolerant of MANY types of movement, mainly Parkour and things that people interested in Parkour do.

We have a very clear description of what is and is not Parkour as the first thing you come to on this site.

So, if people choose to put up pictures of things which are not Parkour, then what is misleading?
Do you propose that we disallow any video that isn't parkour? Take them all down then, you can't get someone's mindset and intentions on film.

Theoretically, you can't take a picture or video of Parkour, only Parkour practice or drills or of a movement that might be used in Parkour, but you can't take a picture of someone's mindset or intentions.

Be Useful.

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »
M2- if you ordered a large mushroom and onion pizza but I bring you a large mushroom, onion, and anvhovie would you be happy? ( you would get what you ordered but I would just be throwing a little extra without mentioning it.) It is in that way I feel that some things are misleading on this site. (Don't get me wrong I appreciate EVERYONE on here who honestly tries to shine a positive light on parkour and I believe EVERY mod/admin try to do that, but I still have a complaint.) What if that scooter forum guy came to this website to learn about parkour. Afterall the name is American Parkour. If he went to the pic/vid thread he would find mostly freestyle and if he went to the Pic of the Week category (I would assume this would only consist of good parkour shots) he would once again find freestyle and in neither places would he come across a disclaimer or anything mentioning that what is posted is not really parkour. Maybe most people here are closet freestylists? I don't know. Either way, people who are yelling till they are blue in the face about what is not parkour are training/posting/practising/sharing non parkour stuff without disclaimers (besides the ONE disclaimer on skippers vid. where he is just being silly.(( I really did like his Free Willy moment hehe))  )  So why do you think an outsider might have misconseptions about what is parkour or even the people who train in this sport/art/discipline?

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 09:44:59 AM »
well you have to understand that this is a forum. information shared in forums are not always correct and you should not rest the entire reputation of the site on the information that is given by people who do not represent the site directly. If you were to direct someone to this site that wants to learn about parkour, you wouldnt say "skip everything and go to the pics and vids section, there you will find everything you need to know about parkour." No, just direct them to the homepage. If you notice in the top right corner, there is a box that says "What you need to know." under that youll see "    *    What Parkour Is, * Basic Movements, * What Parkour is Not, * Origins of Parkour, * Parkour Philosophy." Being on the homepage, i feel that it kind of gets the message across. But heres the twist....... we dont care if youre a tricker, furpicker, gymnast, diver, etc.

Anyone can post a topic that says "Flips are parkour, and the creator of parkour is Mr. T in his early days." If a mod or admin were not to delete that thread in time for a huge influx of newbies, then i garauntee you that at least one person will leave the site thinking they know what parkour is and who created it, according to the inaccurate thread. Thats why the forums dont necessarily have to be the only source that you retain information from on this site.. Only M2 and Gear can edit whats on the main site, and i feel they have an understanding on what we want to portray here. So if someone were to enter the site, all the information is right there before you even see the forum link.

Not sure what else you need, if someone puts a pic of them doing a roundhouse kick to the face in a matial arts competition, ill say thats awesome. no need to explain that it isnt parkour, because i read the APK homepage information, and i know what parkour is  ;)

And the pizza example might not be the best fitting. the correct association would be, if M2 were to order a pizza with mushroom and onion, you would bring him a mushroom and onion pizza, but also offer him anchoves if he wants to give them a try. Just like if someone wants to talk about a certain move in tricking, then i have the choice to listen to him or just move on to the next thread. Nobody is holding a gun to my head to view that particular thread...... except m2, because I am a mod, but you arent  :P :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 09:50:35 AM by Skipper »

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 05:18:41 PM »
Ah Mr. T,  His kongs were off the hook!
Just what did you think the T stood for?:   ...Traceur.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to post my idea:  Check the "Suggestions" section about "the purpose thread."

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »
I agree 100% with what Skipper has said.

Deft your complaint is heard, acknowledged, but won't be acted upon in any way other than Skipper's (and this) reply.

I don't feel this site is out of line with any other Parkour site on the web, and in fact, has more correct information right up front than any other site.

If people look at pictures first, we can't help that, but I'm not going to censor what people can and can't put in for picture of the week. If you want input, vote like everyone else :)

If you'd like to write an article or make some other submission to help the site give out a good message about Parkour, that would be great!
Be Useful.

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Well, thank you for at least listening to all my rants and rambles and for taking into consideration all the "non-parkour" pics that lay in the P.O.W. If I ever come up with a good article or something that I feel will benefit the group, I will gladly share it.

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »
When I say check the post, I mean check it after I make it. :) :P ::)It's not there yet, sorry.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 09:18:52 AM »
Well, I guess if I were to try and contribute in a resolution why can always section off the Pics and Vids.  So if APK were to section the vids into different folders it might help. The video links that people put on the site will increase but APK does not have to worry about bandwidth and sponsoring videos so its not that big of a deal.

I know that it would be hard sectioning off folders for Pics and Vids but you can section them in a way close to this
Parkour - FreeStyle Parkour - Tricking - Mixes - Other

You obviously do not have to use the same organization as me...Freestyle could be represented as free running or what ever you want it to be.  I know that would create more threads for you guys to monitor but I think it might actually clear a LOT UP.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »
No way.

how do you qualify them?

If a video has one tricking element and 5 minutes of Parkour then it can't be in the Parkour section.

If  a video has some really sweet PK but also a lot of gymnastics where does it go?

I'm sorry, but to me this is really a ways of telling people how to make their videos, because they would have some preconception about which section it would belong in.

And after all was said and done, someone would still complain if a video was in the wrong place and it would lead to more arguments.

The problem here is that people really need to lighten up. Once you have an understanding of what Parkour is, you know it when you see it. For people who can't be bothered to educate themself, I'm not going to segregate this website.

Be Useful.

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
Matthew- that wouldn't work because there are a lot of closet freestylists on here who always scream about what is and what is not parkour. Then they make videos that are not technically considered parkour. When in fact most videos are not 100% parkour.They wouldn't want to be in the same classification as us. (That classification being Freestyle Parkour ;D.)

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »
"Closet Furpickers" - brilliant!
Be Useful.

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 01:36:25 PM »
I thought about putting the phrase I coined "closet freestylists" into the lexicon but decided against it.
But, I am glad that you found it humorous ;D ;D ;D

You might be a closet freestylist if....

your last 3 pieces of media (vid/pic) had freestyle in them AND are active in telling people what is and what is not parkour.(especially being on the side of Traditional Parkour)
you have submitted a pic in the POW that is not of true parkour AND are active in telling people what is and what is not parkour.
everytime you train you do the "stuff that is fun to do but is not technically parkour" AND are active in telling people what is and what is not parkour.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 01:41:52 PM by Deft »

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly