Author Topic: Not Parkour, or is it?  (Read 23520 times)

Offline Alex Steadman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Not Parkour, or is it?
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:49:25 AM »
Ok, I'm not trying to start a big giant fight like on the UF boards, but there's this kid on a scooter forum that keeps saying kips and wallflips are Parkour, and I keep saying no, they're FRPK or tricking, but he won't listen.  Please tell me I'm right and not fighting for a lost cause, and give me some good arguments maybe.  This kid seriously thinks he's God and knows everything about PK.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile

Offline Alex Steadman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Not Parkour, or is it?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 07:02:40 AM »
Thanks brah.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 02:41:42 PM »
This kid seriously thinks he's God

Dude, if god were to post on a message board, it sure as shit wouldnt be a Scooter one. lol

and youre right, flips are not parkour, alls it takes is 5 minutes of research on his part to figure that one out  ;)

Gearsighted

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:26:33 PM »
Wait...you're worried about arguing Parkour with a kid on a scooter forum?....

::)

hahahahahahaha....

I don't think you have much to worry about. Don't waste your time, you'd be better off outside training!

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »
Yes yes, please listen to gear, don't waste your time on there or even here.
BTW: it is never good to start an argument unless it is constructive  ;).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 06:37:08 PM »
As long as he doesnt just call it Parkour then hes ok...if he puts some other phrase like freestyle walking or blah blah...then leave him alone.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 10:38:55 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

DUDE, best christmas present ever, thanks you asa for that.

Gearsighted

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 04:41:54 AM »
Hahahahaha, and you have the vague "Doug" reference and everything!! LOL

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 06:09:52 PM »
I say there's no reason for zero tolerance, if a flip is the most usefull method to get the job done than it fits in with parkour just as well as anything else.  Yeah I know what your thinking, not likely, sure of course, but something like a wallflip is a very effective means of evading another person, I'm picturing the jackie chan-esque scenario of an antagonist chasing you (the traceur) towards a wall, and then wall fliping over and behind him.  If that doesn't sound good enough, think about horizontal wall runs.  The majority of their purpose, I think, lies in overcoming another person, not an obstacle.  Don't get me wrong, I love em, but thinking back I can't recall any situation where a wall run was the ideal method of conquering an inanimate object.  I can give you plently, however, where it was usefull against someone trying to catch me.  Point being, they share an effectiveness that shouldn't leave either technique labeled more accepteable than the other.  I've got plenty of theories on things like why flips can pervey more efficiency in forward motion and roll momentum and stuff, but I won't bore you all with that unless you want to hear it.

Really I have no desire to argue, I mean, I'm just providing some weight for the opposing argument to avoid a biased conclusion on the topic.  I can fully appreciate the negative argument as well.  Just tell me what you think, I want to hear a rebutal to this because like everyone else here, I'm looking to learn and improve with these forums.

Hit me with everything you got,

I'm a big boy, can take it :)

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 05:34:42 AM »
if a flip is the most usefull method to get the job done
but thats just it, it isnt the useful method. it takes energy, a more complicated mental state and more movements than there needs to be for control. The jackie chan type moves that involve running at a giant wall to GET AWAY from a person are not real. No person will chase you within inches of a brick wall, they will know you have no other place to go, so he finished watching you do your little trick, and snags you while you are regaining your ballance. Stuff like that just doesnt work in real life  :-\

this isnt a "lets argue just to get some sparks going" type topic. Its a "there are advanced traceurs or moderators that usually know more about parkour than the new comers, so we will do our best to educate them" type topic. Seriously we are trying to be a humble as we can by giving correct information to people that dont seem to know as much, but then people try to argue with us?!?!? Im even still fairly new and Ive already learned how to say "hey, thanks for the info, i now know more than i did before."

Im not trying to be mean, but there are two sides to this argument here, the mods, the admins, the people that are well known and have been doing it for years... and then there are the people that are fairly new to everything. im not one to take sides... but im just gonna go with my gut on this on and side with the people who might have picked up a thing or two in their days.  ;)

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 04:19:52 PM »
quazar, this is easy.   there is people like you on the one side  (training for maybe 2 years or less) and there is david belle on the other side (inventing parkour and training 20+ )   and then one like me, or the others here, have to decide where they want to listen to, who they want to believe.

and well, i joined pawa, i guess thats an answer for you ;-)

ciao

nuff said.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »
Hmmm ... I agree with Quazar in some sense here.

There is no "Zero tolerance policy" on APK.

But Flips aren't parkour. :P

Yes, we could find the one situation in 237,439  where the flip is the perfect move, but for the sake of getting the correct message out to the majority of the people who will read this, it truly is better to say "Flips are not Parkour" and leave it at that.

I don't think it should be boiled down to "efficient, suitable", or anything else in this case, as this argument in general is just so beat to death.

I have to say to Skipper and Andi that I feel Quazar's post was fine, he made a point and said why he made it, he didn't say "I'm new and think I should argue with mods / more experienced people"

There will be people (and I applaud them) who need to "explore" a subject, not just be told of a single boundary.
It will be fun for some people to come up with a circumstance or situation and argue about why it may or may not fit in.
Personally I feel it would be a real shame if we squelched that curiosity by saying "Other people know more than you".

At the same time, the flipside if that is having to explain well known axioms over and over, which does get tedious. Personally though, I think everyone deserves the chance and choice to question things and explore answers for themselves.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »
THANK YOU, (you got some good karma there) alot of people get their information about parkour from the forums that their on. And because of this there becomes this rail road like or circle like ( i know there completely contradicting smilies but i think they both work) method of learning where every one is set in the same path I.E
person 1: i did this sweet flip after a Kong...yada yada yada.
Person 2: NEWB flips aren't parkour!!! (insert feestyle parkour insult)
Person 3: flips can sometimes be parkour
 i think you see where I'm going with that, but every now and then something new gets thrown into the mix a realization is made. But when you flame, people become intimidated and don't want to disagree with anyone  so you fall back into the same pattern and its pointless.

PS i wanted to throw in something about a devil's advocate but i don't feel like writting an essay.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »
"hey, thanks for the info, I now know more than I did before"

Your right, I agree with you guys.
 Ã‚ I still have my own personal philosophies and opinions just as anyone else here, but I understand that for the sake of communication and in order to provide a learning environment for such a large group as this, sometimes we need to put aside those little idiosyncrasies.  Thanks for helping me to better understand that and for being so respectful in doing so; (I don't feel flamed at all :))  We've got a great crowd here, way to be. ;)

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »
they will know you have no other place to go, so he finished watching you do your little trick, and snags you while you are regaining your ballance.

hmmmm, that sounds familiar. I'm sure everyone here has seen the matrix, and the scene where neo is sparing with Morpheus and neo does a wall flip over Morpheus, like how quazar stated, and when he landed he got OWNED with a kick into a wooden pole by Morpheus. I don't know if any of you guys remembered this but i was just playing path of neo and i just got to that part.  This probably wouldn't happen in real life because the guy chasing you would be so amazed by your flipping powers that he crawls away crying. Ya, that's what would happen.  ;).

More on topic, i think that flips aren't parkour ever that much, because unless you had a perfectly setup situation, then flips aren't as efficient. Don't get me wrong though I just learned a wall flip (though i haven't done it outdoors yet) and i love it! I also am feelin like i am going to be getting a back flip soon too. So, even though these moves are really fun, (and look freakin cool) they aren't parkour most of the time.  That is just what i have gotten from my years worth of practicing parkour. I am pretty sure i am right, but if anyone feels differently then i am open to your opinions.  :)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »
ok, the way it came off im sorry if it sounded harsh but i assure you, that the post was accompanied by a personal message to quazar trying explain it in friendly terms. This thread had come to somewhat of a conclusion some time ago, and to have it sparked up again wasnt in my best interest. I just thought there was enough information in this thread and the other about flips not being parkour, and then to have someone continue to disagree is not so much tidious, rather a but of a headache.

Im not saying i know more than everyone, im just saying that when people with known experience are trying to tell you and educate you on something that they have figured out the hard way already, listening would be a key action, not arguing  ;) Im not really sure whats still going on here so ill just say sorry if my frustrations came out too harsh.

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 11:55:30 PM »
Ooohh, it's all just.... "Abigail (abigail) Silk (silk)....."
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Gearsighted

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 11:44:45 AM »
...now every day I've been listening to love supreme...

...I mean I've fallen in deep like a submarine....

;)