Author Topic: Self-teaching and training  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Tommyp200

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Self-teaching and training
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:58:47 AM »
Hiya,

Im a 16 year old guy living in the UK where there is very little accessability to parkour teachers or any areas specifically designed to practise parkour. I have found a training area but I am needing to self teach everything and its pretty difficult to learn everything from the very beginning, even though I have a martial arts background... Any advice that I could use in trying to learn with nothing but the enviroment around me?

Thanks

Offline ZachTheKing

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Self-teaching and training
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »
You have the internet, and with it access to hundreds of videos and people that can help you learn almost anything you want.  Its how I learned. 

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:25 AM »
Do you know where a railing or maybe a picnic table is? If you do then that is all you need. As you progress in parkour you will find that it is much easier to find spots to train. First learn how to land correctly, roll, and do some basic vaults. And like I said if you have a railing or a picnic table then that is all you need. Please ask us if you have anymore questions.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline jordon.kell

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
If you have access to the web, then you can find tutorials on youtube. That is how I started learning 5 months ago and am now able to do some of the harder stuff like the side flip along with the double kong. Just look for places with picnic tables, rails, and a small wall to start off with. I would recommend around 8-9 feet to get the technique of the wall run down.

Offline Reuben Morris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:56:49 AM »
I feel you man. I have been in the exact same situation for a while, but let me say from experience that it can be done. I have the basic vaults down and a few tricks as well. In fact, I just got my backflip down yesterday. My advice is to a) use the Internet to your advantage(obviously), b) don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get something down, and c) if you have any friends who you think might be interested, invite them to come learn with you and just have fun. Good luck!

Offline SteveZuelke

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Operator Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
I have had the same problem as you in that I don't have teachers or professionals or anything.what I have always done is watch tutorials online and bring friends with me that know how it should look to point out what is wrong and what I should improve on. But if you are alone you could record yourself on your phone or a video camera to watch yourself and tell yourself what you are doing and wrong and how to fix it
-Operator Parkour-

Offline Evembee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:13:02 AM »
Thanks dear, Its really good to know that there are so many members which share this amazing info.

Offline Lorettataphy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Hello
Self teaching and training
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
Wow, I realy havent been resharing my stuff enough o.o I usually just retweet and/or reblog things once. Thanks for your advice, everyone This was realy helpful.