Author Topic: Summer training  (Read 868 times)

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Summer training
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »
Hey guys,

Just checking in and seeing how everyone's summer training is coming along.
I hope that all of you are training safe and enjoying the warm sun.

Stay beautiful!
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Summer training
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »
How's it going, Tim? Always refreshing to hear from you.

Me? Eh, not terrible, but could and should be much better. To say that I've been bored out of my mind from my same, old, crappy training spots doesn't begin to describe it anymore. Not to mention that I may have even been kicked out of two of my former spots. This past Monday morning, 8/3, I was approached by an official from my high school saying that I can't be jumping around those picnic tables and bike racks. The track/oval and football field were fine, but not there. They used the cliched "no insurance" reason. So just like that I'm two spots less. Didn't know my town could actually be "anti-parkour".

This is bad. My situation(s) could be worse than I ever first realized. If I ever have the money for it, I'm now even considering the possibility of one day actually buying the materials so I can try building my own vault box at home. It's sad that it would have to come down to that, but so be it. At least if I had my own obstacle specifically dedicated to parkour right in my very own yard, I wouldn't have to worry about driving 20 mins. to my college campus, wasting gas, or even using up a bit of my energy biking to my high school, which has even worse spots.

I wonder if there's a correlation between how obstacle dense/good of outdoor spots an area has, and if that area has a strong, tight-knit parkour group. While I have noticed there are at least a few/handful of traceurs scattered all about in my area, parkour is still pretty much unheard of in my county. And yet, right across the river in the city, there's the Movement Creative, who train/hold classes pretty much every/most days of every/most weeks. I think it's just a sad fact that my area is just not very conducive to parkour at all.

Those of you who do have good outdoor spots right nearby, a dedicated PK group who can meet and train regularly, a schedule that can still allow ample training time, and a town that supports parkour, I envy you. So badly. Just consider yourselves very, very, very lucky, because not everyone is nearly as fortunate as you.

Well, let's see what little I can still squeeze out of what I do have, if it can even still be considered parkour training at all. I know it'll get too busy again once the fall semester starts. And especially if we'll end up with another polar disruption for the winter of 2015-2016, we're out of luck.

Offline lildrummerninja

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
Hope you find some good training spots soon Jan-su. Do you have any wooded areas or anything like that nearby? At the very least you get to climb some trees.

My training's been going pretty well. Although I started recently (around April or so) I've been making some great progress and have been having fun. For example, I can roll on concrete pretty consistently now from a crouched position.  :D

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:01 AM »
After a horrid 3 week break from parkour I am starting again (not that I ever left.) It has been fun this summer but I didn't progress how I wanted to because of my general laziness.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads