Author Topic: Laws and Law Enforcement  (Read 7558 times)

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Laws and Law Enforcement
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:21:03 PM »
Any avid traceur is no doubt aware of public suspicion about what we're doing. I haven't been practicing for more than a month, but as my fellow local traceurs are experiencing as we try out new locations, law enforcement is often dubious as to our activities.

Here's a few tips to aid in making sure law enforcement doesn't have anything to worry about:

1.) Make sure you aren't breaking any laws/regulations, such as:
       a. Trespassing-get permission from the property owner if you're practicing on private property
       b. Vandalizing-don't break stuff as you PK
       c. Running from the police-don't run from the police, they can't do a damn thing unless you've done something wrong
       d. Don't break any other laws either

2.) If police are near, do not do anything overly reckless/daring, like a gainer off of a high ledge, or a large jump. Just do some harmless vaults until they go away.

3.) If the police ask you to move on, don't argue with them. You can (nicely) ask them if they have any ideas for places that may be more allowing of parkour. The police aren't assholes, quite the contrary-they'll probably help you out, that's what they're supposed to be for anyway.

Talking to police/security gaurds, when they confront you (this stuff works, I did it today when we were stopped by a police officer.)
       A.) Be respectful and civil, and they'll treat you just as nicely
       B.) Do NOT act pissed off in any way, because if you're understanding that the guy or gal is just trying to do their job, they'll understand that you're just trying to have some goodnatured exercise and fun.
       C.) Answer their questions, comply with any reasonable demands, (i.e. the officer asked to see my license today)
       D.) Explain what parkour is, what the goal is, and say it in terms they can understand ( I said it was like running with urban obstacle coursing, overcoming barriers in your path). This way they're not perplexed as to what the hell you guys are doing, and they can see you're not wrecklessly endangering yourselves.

Keeping in mind that the officer is doing his job, and that you haven't done anything wrong, the only way you're gonna have any problem is if you cause it with you attitude or something.

I have a question also, does anyone know of any more laws that might apply to parkour?

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Laws and Law Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 09:19:09 PM »
very nice write up. you get an applaude. the only thing i would say is don't ask them for any other spots that you can parkour at. sometimes you will come across a cop who is a dick no matter how nice you are (i mean, every group of people has a few assholes), and he could just follow you. like some people are just really close minded, and they are not gonna want you doing it anywhere. but like you said, just talk to them. if you run, you will only make things worse for everyone.

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:37:55 PM »
If you haven't already, you should submit this as an article for the site. There's been a few posts in the past on this and even more where a post like this would have helped out, an easy to find article on the subject would be nice!
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 08:39:14 AM »
Sure thing, thanks for the comments guys. Anyone know where the submit button is on the main page? Or how do you submit for publishing on the main site?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 08:44:19 AM by antwawn »

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 02:47:29 PM »
it looks like the link is down, but submit it to submissions@americanparkour.com

put in your name, title, and all that good stuff.

well done!

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 08:01:34 AM »
Definitely good ideas. You don't want to ruffle any feathers so to speak. Communication is KEY!
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »
Awesome post I was meaning to write something similar, publish or perish I guess :P . In any event I work security at a night club and it helps me understand were law enforcement are coming from.  It is Their job like mine to look for things that are suscipcious or out of place their trying to prevent crimes from happening and need to be on gaurd. If the have never seen parkour before it could easily seem like suscious beahvior the same way some who dances strangely will draw my attention.

Sometimes it better to just avoid attention but its is also a very good idea to foster good relationships with law enforcement. At the club were I work there is particular patron who likes to do kung fu forms to the music, he made sure to inform the security staff of what he was doing and that he would desist if the cloor became to crowded he is allways respectfull of other peoples space so we don't have problems with him. Normally however if you start practicing martial arts on my dance floor I am going to be imedieatly suscipious and looking for you to cross the line to the point were I have to ask you to leave.

Communication can defineatly change peoples disposition towards and perception of what your doing.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 02:54:39 PM »
haha ... I am always doing little bits of forms as part of dancing ... I still can't dance, but that's besides the point. One of the best times I ever had was on a retreat with about 50 people from a Kung Fu school all on the dance floor doing forms to fast music ... definitely dangerous!! Of course the DJ whipped out "Kung Fu Fighting" which only encouraged the bunch of drunken fools!!

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 03:47:10 PM »
Hahahahah, we need to rig a city to play a song and it will be our dance floor. other than that, im not sure how we could recreate that experience for traceurs. We will think of something! haha

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 09:25:38 AM »
Chuck Norris Sued Law and Order Tv drama because they took the names of his left and right legs.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 09:22:22 PM »
how was Chuck noris Sueing law and order relavent to this topic???  ??? ::) :P

Offline IwishIcould

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »
"Law" and "Order" are his left and right legs, this apparently is a very old joke, I think its fron Conan O"Brian. Anyway sometimes cops are just pissed off and just have an axe to grind, and sometimes they just stop and talk to you or just laugh at you, Ive experienced all three.

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 07:36:38 PM »
i just thought of something...if a cop is being a total dick go to a play ground and start practicing if there arnt any little kids and stuf there....cause play grounds are ment for stuff like that arnt they?
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline coastal96

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:49:59 AM »
I went to the local community college on Monday (MLK day) for a bit of training.  The campus was obviously closed and while I was near the library a security guard came out and asked if he could help me with something. I told him I was just there for a some parkour training.  He didn't even ask me what that was but he seemed content in that I wasn't trying to break into the library or vandalize it or something and gave me the go ahead to carry on.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »
lol i saw this in big red letters when i started to post. lol "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. " Well i like how this topic formed out and it is true that you have to be nice but dont be smug because it pisses people off lol. I had some cops come over and kick me outta a church playground because it was private property even though there were no signs and it was a church i wasnt pissed because i knew it would get me no where's.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 12:25:03 PM »
This was published as an article on 12/27 last year ... I've brought it up to the fornt of the homepage because it's always good advice.
Be Useful.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »
oh i didnt know that.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »
I had a little trouble with the police a couple weeks ago. I was doing parkour at the court house (of course i didn't know it was the courthouse.) A cop came up to me and said "Whadya think this is a playground?" And then he spit. (He had dip in his mouth, it was really gross). I said "No, i'm just doing parkour."
Cop "What is that"
Me "A Dicipline, Kind of like a sport, where you move thru your environment in the most efficent way possible."
Cop "It's not a sport around here"
Me "Well it's rather obscure."
Cop "Well wheres your parents"
Me "My dad is coming to pick me up in a little while"
Cop "Well you can go sit there on the steps, and don't jump around anymore. This is no jungle gym. And your tresspasing."
Me "Well my dad won't be coming for about 20 minutes, and he is going to pick me up behind the library."
Cop "Ok, you can go wait at the library, but no more jumping. Anywhere you go you'll be tresspassing. So it's illegal to do it anywhere, except your own house."
Me "I'm sorry i can't do it, Anywhere, except my house?"
Cop "You heard me, do i have to explain myself again"
Me "No that's ok i'll look it up on google later"
Cop Gave me a mean look "I'm going to explain just so you understand it. You can't do it anywhere, except your own house, because it's tresspassing."
Me "I understand that, can i go now."
Cop "Yes but no more jumping till you get home."

Now he wasn't the worst cop in the world, but he wasn't the nicest. I tried googling it and couldn't find much information. Can someone explain to me why it's tresspasing to do parkour in front of a store, but walking in front is fine.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:32:41 AM »
Yeah, do a search, I made a pretty long post about why doing Parkour actually IS tresspassing by the letter of the law, but only if some observer (your cop in this situation) wants to call it tresspassing.
Be Useful.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 04:58:02 AM »
Thanks.  ;D I get it now. I need to keep that in mind.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.