Author Topic: At CSUN they don't want to allow parkour clubs  (Read 1140 times)

Offline noobienoob222

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
At CSUN they don't want to allow parkour clubs
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »
What do I make of this? They don't allow us to have a parkour club at my school. Isn't that whack? They say its because its a fringe sport and so they want sports that have been around longer that people are more familiar with. Also, they want sports that they can prepare for in case of an injury. Its really weird. They'll let us do parkour on our own, but not as an official club. Luckily, there's a parkour gym, Tempest Freerunning Academy, near by. But still, they should allow parkour as a club. Its becoming more and more popular so why not?

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: At CSUN they don't want to allow parkour clubs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
If they let you do parkour on school grounds, why do you need an official club? Are there any other benefits?
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Inari

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »
There is a major difference between turning a blind eye (not stopping you from training) and officially endorsing people training (club) in terms of liability, so if they're nervous of injury etc then it makes sense.

As Alvendam said, is there any benefit to having an official club? Probably grants etc...but if you've got relatively free reign to train, just enjoy the hell out of that!

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Speaking from my experiences, I sort of wished my first school had a student parkour organization of some kind as well, but all other things considered, I’m now thinking it might just be added unnecessary work, and that which might not be possible to get done. I’d have to look for a faculty advisor, and some people to be the executive board (president, vice president, etc.). But since parkour is almost completely unheard of in my area, such individuals for this kind of club would be difficult to come by. In fact, I’m probably the only traceur in my entire campus, at least, that I know of at this time. (And no, I don’t think I would qualify to be the head of even a small parkour group of any kind at the moment.)

Now I can tell you that in my school, our Student Activities Board (SAB) allots $500 per main semester, fall and spring, to the budgets of all official clubs. So that’s $1000 per academic year (although any leftovers from the fall cannot carry over to the spring, for some strange reason I’ve yet to discover). I’ve also heard of certain rewards some clubs could earn from having been able to hold a number of their own successful events throughout the semester.

So I’d ask a similar question that Alvendam and Inari gave; are there certain perks to having an official club in your school? In addition, would you need people to fill in the executive positions? And if so, can you find individuals who can meet the expectations of those roles adequately?

I’ve just not too long ago found a few spots at my school that I can use to train, and my sessions have been going decently even without a student parkour group in my school. At least I might not be bound to possibly too many rules otherwise. Almost anything goes and I can train how I want to. I’m trying to take advantage of it right now during the summer where there’s not as many students and faculty as in the fall and spring, so not as many people might question me what I’m doing. I also try to do it where our Public Safety does not patrol nearly as much so that I won’t get in trouble with them.