Author Topic: Where (physically) to begin?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline jubzella

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Where (physically) to begin?
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »
Hi everyone - I'm Julian and I'm 38 years old. I know its a little bit old to start parkour, but I'm an ex-marine and want to do it to stay fit and it looks hella fun.

Quick Question- Where would you all recommend I start physically? I've been trying to do some stuff in my backyard, but it's not the same. I could try doing it at the office park at work but I might scare some of my co-workers away. Where would you recommend for someone who is fit but a beginner?

Offline Eduardo06sp

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Where (physically) to begin?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
I'm going to start at a local park next week hopefully.
I recommend you watch Ronnie Shalvis' guide to location scouting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7khdCOmyc

made by Parkour Wiki user Mrwiddim

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
Hey man! I suggest you go to some local park and look for a good spot. Or just think of what have you seen in your city that looks like a good place to train. Then if it's a good spot you have a chance of meeting some local traceurs. Or you can ask around your local parkour community what are some of the more popular ones, or even ask for someone to go out and train with you. A lot of people will be happy to get a training buddy for what was going to be a lonely session and teach you a thing or two.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »
Try searching the area or city you live in and parkour. So "New York parkour" for example. Do this on both google and on facebook and there's a chance you can find a local group or gym to meet up with. Another option you have is to do the same thing but search for gymnastics gyms and find one with open gym hours. If you go train there there's an ok chance that you'll meet a group of free runners as well. That's actually how I met the guys I train with.

If those don't work out, then I second the parks idea. Playgrounds and parks usually have a bunch of obstacles. Aside from that just explore. Look for low walls, ledges, rails, and things of that nature. Anything you can climb, jump, or vault and have at it.

Offline jubzella

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »
Wow, this is great. Thank you all for your help. I've been looking for some local parkour communities, but it looks like there aren't too many in Birmingham Mississippi. I have been able to find a local park though that has some great surfaces.

Thanks again all ---- is there any other recommendations you would give?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »
Don't be afraid to bail a little bit. Slip ups happen and things might be awkward at first. Learn to laugh it off and keep trying.

Practice jumping, landing, and rolling every time you go out. Get comfortable with those things, one or two vaults, and wall runs. That gives you a really solid foundation for moving on to pretty much anything else and gives you something to do in almost every environment.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »
Second that. You will bail eventually and it will hurt. Nothing that will kill you, but still. You'll get a few bruises, no matter how safe you stay. Get a pair of sweatpants. You don't want to train in jeans. Really. You don't.  ;) And learn to roll and fail. These skills, being the simplest things you'll get to learn, will save you from situations like the ones in "parkour fail" videos on YouTube. And of course - have fun! :)
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Goldjoe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:52:25 AM »
You don't want to train in jeans. Really. You don't.

Sometimes when I don't have any clean sweatpants I train in these jeans I have that are really baggy or cargo pants. Sweatpants work the best but it dosent feel that bad to train in these. As long as there not restrictive I don't mind.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:43 AM »
I would never wear jeans, but that's only because I hate jeans. I neever wear them unless I have to. So I wear sweatpants :P
Yeah, I'd just train at your local parks. That's pretty much the only good spots around where I live, as well as the high school I go to. Gyms are awesome for training, but not required. I've never been to a gym in my life. If there are colleges around where you live, skateparks, or pretty much any other public place, you can probably find a place to train. One of my favorite spots is on the side of a church  ;D
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline GalenDiz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 05:09:45 PM »
Brenden Dixon from Upland was looking for An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation

Coleman Griffin found the answer to a search query An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation

An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation

descriptive essay thesis generatorMilton, Paradise Lost and Forgivenesscustom essay writer service for mbacheap article ghostwriter service for college, essays in spanish about family hugi. Should NJ Raise Driving Age economic essay topics, An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation proefschrift thesis pim van lommel.
how to write good college essay example reflectionsessay outlines formatsat conversion chart essay. Persuasive speech on Stereotypes college application essay topic ideas 10000 words essay journey by train 50 g2000.
esl personal statement writing websites for masters. cheap papers proofreading for hire us, Macbeth Compare Contrastwriting critical essay global warmingpojman strong dependency thesis. free essay on global warming for kids write an essay about your birthday card for husband visa!
research paper ideas 10th grade write essay online, professional analysis essay ghostwriting services cabeauty contests essays? how to start a 10 page research paper do you write, 100 college essay new york times best books fictionFemale Characters In Romeo and Julliet.
help with my human resource management movie reviewreferencing book titles in essaysessays italicized or quotationspopular presentation proofreading sites for universitytoefl sample essays free download. professional mba essay ghostwriters services online 10000 word essay xenophobia listmending wall theme essay promptspay to write professional dissertation methodology. esl paper writing site for masters, An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation uwic dissertation format.
A Turning Point in Miamiielts writing task 1 sample answer band 9. pleasure of reading books essay write my essay esl analysis essay writing site for masters.
The mayan empire top dissertation writer website for university, custom assignment ghostwriters service usamost inspirational people essay. ets toefl essay, COLD WAR NOSTALGIA.
cheap bibliography ghostwriters for hire for universitywrite my essay examples childhood memoriesprofessional dissertation introduction writers website - essay writing help. An Investigation Into An Aspect Of Human Variation and best dissertation introduction proofreading services for masters, apush dbq essay articles confederation.
professional dissertation ghostwriter services for university. professional rhetorical analysis essay writing websites for masters, essay writing service, Ritalin Use For ADHD Patients