Author Topic: What are some of your judgement and bad experiences?  (Read 658 times)

Offline Mr.Curly Parkour

• Guenons
  • I'm de cooliyist in colorado.
    • View Profile
What are some of your judgement and bad experiences?
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
So to start out i'm writing an outline for a documentary about parkour, and the judgement practitioners face on a day to day.

I have
1 people yelling at us "you'll break a leg"
2 we all don't have jobs
3 we are going to break everything
4 there's no safety involved

This is just to name a few

the goal of this documentary is to help spread the positive light about parkour in the US, and help counter the main stream medias look at parkour as reckless and dangerous.

have an examples of judgement you face every day.

train safe, train hard

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your judgement and bad experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
There was that old woman once. I was doing some (really, really) small jumps, few meters above the ground, over stairs, when she started shouting at me. It was something in the lines of "Get down, you are gonna break our neck, I'll get a hearth attack!". I just told her that it's not her job to tell me what I am going to break. And I didn't really had other experience. People around here seem to be pretty positive towards parkour, even when they don't really know what it is. Most of them tend to see just a buch of kids playing/exercising. And you bet we are doing our best to keep it like that. The only time when we were "kicked out", the guard was a pretty cool, eldery man, who literally told us that we have to go playing somewhere else. We were indeed probably on a place that we shouldn't be and the old man apologized and explained that he just has to tell us to go, like 3 times. So me and my friends are always trying not to get into accidents and arguments with people (wich is probably why we have had generally good experience with the public :D). Though our buildings/cranes climbing is limited to one school rooftop and one other building (I wasn't on the second), I suppose we will be able to explain our way out of every trouble we might get into.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your judgement and bad experiences?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:50 PM »
It's weird because I live in conservative south Lousiana and really don't get any negative comments. I've had a police officer ask me what I was doing and I said playing, so he said okay and drove off. We had a few issues with campus security at a jam in NO once, but it wasn't big.

The only "judgements" I've gotten is from people who think they know what parkour is, so they shout parkour and ask me to do flips for them. (Which I decline because I'm not a circus performer. I don't do it for other's entertainment.) However, there was one guy in youtube comments who was acting like parkour and freerunning was just about showing off, so maybe you could use that and explain why we aren't showing off (most of the time).

Things I've heard other traceurs deal with:
People thinking we're show offs
Getting in non-traceur people's way by accident
All the stuff you said
People thinking we're immature or weird
People relating parkour to skateboarding and its stereotypes
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.