Author Topic: Spam Issues (Discussion)  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Spam Issues (Discussion)
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
As you have noticed the spam problem here is way out of hand. Tomorrow morning Mark Toorock (aka M2, Administrator of this forum and president of American Parkour) will be attempting to fix/see if anything else can be done with captcha to prevent spam bots from making new accounts.

We are taking consideration into possibly archiving this forum and starting to use something else for our online community, such as disqus. Please leave your comments, concerns, and suggestions here.

EDIT: See the post by Russell and the post by me right below it
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:38:02 PM by Nick Holmes »
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum! (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:41:31 AM »
My suggestion stays the same. Changing the forum system. From what I've seen, disqus is more suitable for comments. Like in armorgames. I never got to administrate my own forum, but I wanted to start one and read about the different systems. And from my experience as an user of different forums I qualify the systems like this:
  • vBulletin
  • ipBoard
  • phpBB3

vBulletin and ipBoard  are pretty much on par, but as an user I prefer vBulletin. Also I think the community support is better for it. Anyway, they are probably out of question as they both cost money. Quite a lot of it. This leaves the list with only phpBB3, which is WAY inferior than them, but still works better than every other free one out there.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:53:28 AM by Alvendam »
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Caleb The Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
A new forum would be awesome these spammers really piss me off...  ::)  :P  :-X  :-[  :'(
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
Yeah nearly 6 pages of spam is a little much. How long do you think it would be to get a new forum? In the meantime is there anything we could use to contact each other because for now it is abandon ship for me.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Caleb The Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
Yeah what sebastian is i'll be checking up to see what's going to happen but other than that for know it's mission abort :/
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
it's sad that I have to leave all of it. Unless the problem is fixed. This is my main source for info regarding parkour. I talk with my team over this site, I have my training journal, I have advanced all the way to Mangabey, and made some new friends. It sucks it may be ruined by spammers :( :'( [WTF] [WTF]

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »
This may seem minor, but could we get a more pronounced color scheme?

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
Hey everyone, Russ here.

First off, I want to apologize for the huge spammer problem that recently occurred here. As most of you know, Nick and I are really the only moderators active on the forums. We try to clear up forum issues as best as we can, but this one definitely got out of hand.

Previously we, as moderators, were only able to delete threads and post selectively. This was where the issue lied, as the spammers would be able to post a new thread every 2-3 minutes. They were already 9 hours ahead of us, so we were already dealing with a large bulk of spam posts by the time we were aware of the situation.

The Moderator accounts have recently been given elevated permissions. I was able to change some of the security issues to halt the spam. We have since been working non-stop to clear up all spam.

Again, we do apologize for this problem. I would like to thank all users who has brought this situation to our attention.

I do want to remind everyone to please report to a moderator if you noticed any issues. When you do use the report to a moderator feature all admins and moderators receive an e-mail of your report. I check my e-mail very frequently so I can assist any, if all, problems as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:11:13 PM by Russell Wilkie »

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
As shown in Russell's post, moderating will be much easier for us. Now, if spam is posted multiple times by a user it is only necessary to report a single post of that spam and Russ or I can delete all of it's posts with a couple clicks. Previously this had to be done post by post.

Our new security measures seem to be working for now so we will most likely be keeping this forum. The forum will be receiving an update of SMF (Simple Machines Forum, the service we are using).
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »
Huh. And here I thought you had both abandoned ship.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Issues (Discussion)
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:29 AM »
I entered today and there are no new spam posts?! You managed to deal with it?
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Issues (Discussion)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
ohh. Hahahahahahaha (continues laughing) Good job guys and thanks for keeping the forums safe.