Author Topic: Please Post your height and weigh maybe it can help  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Chrislan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Please Post your height and weigh maybe it can help
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
I'm not comparing myself to others but I feel slow learner
I can do some vaults but in the 8th month I learned to kong---8TH MONTH!!!!!  :-Sarcasm
no flips, some tricks, just cartwheel , scoot and some easy free run movement

I wish I could learn more free run (tricking move's gainer's,etc) I can only do butterfly kick...  [WTF]
I always feel my body weigh is holding me back to do this tricks
I cant even flip...front back side.....

Im 5'6" tall and 160 pounds and I feel heavy should I go 135-145?

HOW??

I love to eat...

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Please Post your height and weigh maybe it can help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:21:52 AM »
It's more about strength to weight ratio than the actual amount that you weight. I'm 5'11, 198 pounds and being heavy does slow me down a bit but I can still flip fine. The biggest problem in my experience is that landings are just more impact.

If you don't want to lose weight try getting stronger instead. Get on those squats, deadlifts, pull ups, and dips.

Offline TheFreshFreerunner

• Guenons
  • Currently Working On: Solid Ground Backflip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »
I'm 6'1" 145-150. I'm 16 however i am slowing my training because I'm starting to lift weights at school and i need to be full energy to do my flips etc. But I'm not trying to gain or lose weight I'm improving my strength to weight ratio like Dick said. There is no set weight. If you want to progress faster id say to do body weight exersices. I'm focusing on weights now not body weight (which i shouldn't be doing but i want more muscle mass) so just do pullups. invest in a 15-20 dollar pullup bar to put above your door. i have one and i use it everyday it helped so much. i can now do muscle ups which are regular pullups and after that you extend your arms so where your hands and everything upwards is above the bar. it helped my climb up speed and strength and much more. So get a pullup bar you wont regret it

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
There's nothing wrong with weights, man. They took my broad jump from 6 feet to 9 feet, fixed my knee and back pain, and made my landings infinitely better. Bodyweight or weight isn't that significant, both are just tools and it's more about how you do them and how much you eat. You can put on a ton of mass with bodyweight training, and you can get strong either way. For the lower body, though, weights are arguably a superior tool.

You might also benefit from putting on some muscle. Strength to weight isn't all about having the lowest bodyweight possible. You need some muscle as well or you'll be undershooting your potential. Also being able to lift heavy things is just a useful life skill.

Offline Mr.Curly Parkour

• Guenons
  • I'm de cooliyist in colorado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 05:27:48 PM »
I'm 5'5" and I weigh some where around 155 or 160, my license says 175.
train safe, train hard

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
I am 5-11 or maybe 6 foot ;D and weigh 137 lbs
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
Haha I'm up to 205 now

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:06 PM »
thats nearly a quarter of half a ton lol. It is cool how humans can weigh that much yet can still do things like parkour.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »
It definitely makes it harder but that's one of the reasons I'm such a big proponent of strength training. If you're gonna be heavy you gotta be at least kinda strong.

Haha it's like adding weight to your bodyweight exercises, except you're just heavy.

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
I am 6'1" and currently 175lbs and my target weight is 165 lbs.   I was 185 lbs in the middle of January this year.  I want to get stronger but I feel that lighter weight will help get the skills I am having issues currently. 
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15

Offline Chris_Selle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »
I'm 5'7" 190lbs (I was 200lbs). I have been doing parkour now for about 9 years and I would not worry about your kong vault. I did not have the kong down till 2 years in(I had that fear of clipping my feet). Just train at your own pace, and let your own style develop while having fun.
APK Instructor since March 2013
Phil 4:13
Isaiah 40:31

Offline VerticalLimit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Just starting, always learning, never stopping
    • View Profile
    • Check out my instagram:
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
I'm a solid 5'9" and I weigh 130, but I agree with all those preceding me that your height or weight isn't incredibly important, but what truly counts is the strength, flexibility, and ultimately practice. Work hard enough at anything and you'll get there, focus on the form and mental aspects of what you're working on, not as much on how tall you are or how much you crack the concrete.  ;)

Work and you'll get there, best of luck. 
I'm new to parkour and freerunning, I'm athletic and dedicated, excited to join this movement and looking for help where I can get it.

Check out my instagram for my urban photography and upcoming parkour videos: https://instagram.com/danielburgess_/

Offline Skylar.Layne

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Parkour Till You're Old And Broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:15 AM »
As everyone else has said, height and weight isn't a huge problem. Strength, technique, and flexibility can make up for it all. I'm 6'2" and about 195lbs. I am capable of every vault, and a good portion of the flips.
When I started, I learned slowly, because I tried to go straight into the move. Maybe that's what you're doing?
Progressions are incredibly helpful when you're learning the moves, even though my mind still insists that it's slower working up to something. In reality, it helps. You get the move down faster, and spend less time in pain.