Author Topic: How Bad Does A Front Flip Hurt If Messed Up?  (Read 3590 times)

Offline QuasarDecimari

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How Bad Does A Front Flip Hurt If Messed Up?
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »
So, I have been doing parkour and free running for a while now, and can land front flips great on trampolines and air mats, but I'm still afraid to do one on the hard ground.
I hear that it's not too rough landing on grass, mulch, or sand, so I'll start there, but I want to know:

Say I rotate enough to barely land on my feet and fall back on my butt, or even just land on my butt, how badly will I hurt myself on those terrains? I usually do not over-rotate or under-rotate, usually the problem is getting enough height to complete the spin, which is something I am working on.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: How Bad Does A Front Flip Hurt If Messed Up?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »
Butt-landing on grass will barely hurt, any landing on sand will not hurt at all. What could hurt, IF you have a headache, is landing on your back, on grass. And it will be your head in pain, not your back.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Micah Marchand

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Micah Marchand About
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
It really does not hurt at all!  Its crazy... you expect it to hurt but it really is nothing... but that hard part is getting your mind to actually remember that b4 u flip! I still can't flip cause I have that stupid fear cause I think it will hurt!  Sigh... I have failed multiple times but it has never hurt.  Or course don't do it on cement or rocks... do it on grass or wood chips! 
Life Is Great... Cherish it.

Offline QuasarDecimari

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
Butt-landing on grass will barely hurt, any landing on sand will not hurt at all. What could hurt, IF you have a headache, is landing on your back, on grass. And it will be your head in pain, not your back.

Wonderful!
So, the body is able to take the impact a bit better than we give it credit for. Guess I just have to find a good place to start, thanks!

Offline Animeous

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:59:13 AM »
It depends on where you do it, and how you do it.

If you're doing it on sand, it won't hurt at all, any way you land.
If you do it on grass, landing on butt could hurt, but not necessary. Landing on your back hurts a bit, so be careful not to land on your back!
If you do it on rock hard ground, it'll hurt both ways.

I'd recommend doing it in the gym or on sand, if you're amateur and never done it before. Good luck!
Please visit my YouTube parkour channel! Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/animeousofficialyt

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
This was my fear when I learned the Front flip. Id always land on my heels and then fall on my butt. It wouldn't hurt at first but after landing like that for a few times I could start to feel soreness in my legs and knees.

I recorded myself doing the front flip and compared it to a professional (For me I watched Daniel Ilabaca, Love his style)

I learned that instead of grabbing my knees when I tuck, Reach for and grab my ankles. This sped up my spin so that I now had to roll out of my Fronts instead of landing on my butt.
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Woo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
a lot of variables go into it, so it really depends, but generally I wouldn't say it hurts. I taught myself frontflips on grass, started by rolling with a little hop, to jumping aiming for my feet with a roll. Now I have pretty great from flips, and no lasting injuries.

Offline JensA

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Make the city your playground
    • View Profile
    • BOOKANAUT - H?lspore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:13:09 AM »
It depends, I have had some butt landings that was very painful.
You should always be careful and only do it if you think you can. If you are in doubt, you should not do it.
Make the city your playground
/JensA

Offline TheBestParkourGear

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • TheBestParkourGear
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
It's all in your head.  Don't get me wrong there is still a possibility of injury as there is with any parkour movement or any sport in that manner.  But if you are practicing on grass or sand which you should be as you are starting, as long as you rotate past your head, you really aren't going to hurt yourself.

Landing on your butt on sand or grass isn't very painful.  And you shouldn't be afraid of it, and just stick with your practice and you'll be fine!
Parkour is Meant to Be Cheap - Check Out https://thebestparkourgear.com

Offline nielstraining

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
Have you tried performing the front flip on grass? I think that would be great front flip training on a hard surface until concrete is possible. Most likely it is just a mental block that you need to overcome, keep at it!