Author Topic: Legal practicing grounds?  (Read 9473 times)

Offline stevegray

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Legal practicing grounds?
« on: May 19, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
Hi all,

First off, intro:  I'm fairly new to parkour/freerunning.  I'm 17, and an instructor at a Yoshukai-style karate school.  I found out about parkour through a random search on Metacafe, and was hooked instantly.  I've always done a lot of climbing, some running and tumbling, and I work out quite a bit, (job security. ;))  I'm anxious to start applying my previous training to learning parkour, practicing some novice moves, and techniques, but I'm faced with the a problem.

I've seen plenty of videos of David Belle and Sebastian Foucan doing their thing in cities and urban settings, but for one who doesn't have a camera crew following them around, how legal is parkour to do on the street?  I don't have any elaborate city parks or anything to practice on, and getting shouted at by the cops for doing it downtown would really put a bad taste in my mouth.  Anyone have any advice or ideas?

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
Re: Legal practicing grounds?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »
Legally you can do parkour on any public property........but skateboarders skrewed that one up.

I would try to practice in secluded areas, places where people know you, places where people wont care, ect

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
Find out the trespassing laws for your area. That will give you a general idea...

For me, I found an area where I could practice all my basic techniques, and got permission to be there. The people who manage the property have known me for years. They know I'm mostly responsible, and they laugh when I jump over stuff, climb up into the trees.

The other day they were talking about chopping down a couple palms, because they're getting too high and the trimmers don't want to climb them. They were laughing and told me, "You could do it." The maintenance guy gave me permission to jump a section of waterfalls and small ponds. He warned me about thorny plants at the top of one fall...

I'm sure their security cameras have hours of footage of me. I wish I could get some of it :)

Offline Jamie Crosby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
ive got a local park that i just went to everyday and nailed my basic's down for like 4 hours a day everyday, i never had anyone say anything bad about it, just alot of small children on the playground watching me haha

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
if you're just beginning to learn, you could just go to a park with picnic tables and a playset.  i still do that.  you can do plenty of exercises and some of the basic techniques.  after a couple weeks, maybe you will have found a place where you can train a little more extensively and get a feel for the other techniques.  the city is prob one of the best places to train, so if you're up to it, drive through or walk through your town/city to find good spots.  at most, business owners and/or cops may ask you to leave (as long as you don't live in the ghetto or something crazy)

Offline deltron3030

• Patas
  • l2p
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:37:04 PM »
Legally you can do parkour on any public property........but skateboarders skrewed that one up.

I would try to practice in secluded areas, places where people know you, places where people wont care, ect

since public schools are public.  r they public property then???

Offline Jamie Crosby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »
eh id try to be careful, ive noticed around my area that they are putting up signs that say "this park is intended for children between the ages of blah and blah" even at the schools and everywhere, it kinda sucks. Id say just be careful, do it when people arent around ,and if they ask you to leave, just leave.

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »
I practice in my backyard (vaults off deck benches, rolls on patio), a local park (jungle gym, picnic benches), and a college campus where my dad is senior faculty (sweeet).

Offline littleboy PK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:51 PM »
my teachers caught me jumping a wall :'(. I NEED NEW LEGAL PLACES!!!!! help

Offline littleboy PK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
my teachers caught me jumping a wall :'(. I NEED NEW LEGAL PLACES!!!!! help
Erase all of that i did get caught but dont listen!!!!! PLEEZE
 :-[

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:51:09 AM »
Schools and hotel properties are bad places in Hawaii. The trespassing laws are stronger there, and the penalties are higher.

For starting out, look for some place that isn't busy, where a few scuff marks on the walls aren't going to freak them out. Maybe walk around the back of your supermarket, or an industrial warehouse. Don't forget natural areas - even a couple good trees can give you a good workout. If it's private property, either don't go there, or try to get permission.

Look for anything that can hold your weight without damage: For me, that's 55 gallon industrial drums, trees, rocks, heavy railings, loading docks, cement walls, some rock walls, curbs, the cart return at Wal-Mart, Dumpsters [but not on top of the ones with the black rubber/ plastic tops], guardrails, chain link fence, my car [if I'm careful], on and on and on...

Offline Cervias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
wow, I would have never thought of using the cart returns at walmart! thats resourceful! haha

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:22:01 PM »
Any where any time is legal dude, come on noobie
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »
No but really good stuff "btay", great ideas and stories.
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 08:29:35 PM »
College campuses are usually great. There's usually a large amount of buildings (lots of concrete + a bunch of metal railings = good places to train) and on most college campuses, people aren't often surprised to see a kid doing something unusual/unsafe looking.

Offline NinjaBoy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:11 PM »
Me and my brother were on a parking tower, and I saw a great place: four buildings, different elevations for each, ladders and walls for vaulting. I told him that would be the next stop for us. He pointed at the sign to one of the buildings. Apparently, it was a bank, and he didn't feel like explaining what we were doing on top of it...

Offline Daemon of Dunasthai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »
some of the best places around here are illegal...we never go onto the grounds, but trust me, we daydream.

hey, looking isnt illegal is it?

Offline Cyro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace (Where I keep myself accountable)
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:24:43 PM »
Easily overlooked and potentially overflowing with options: Parking Garages.

Multi level parking garages usually have various downtimes when they are almost, if not completely, empty. Usually decently lit even in evening. Keep away from any fancy cars or doorways and you won't usually get bothered.

The concrete dividing walls often slope from 3 ft to 6 ft, not to mention and garbage cans or other obstacles around the outside walls on the bottom floor. For the hardcore, you can do roach climbs, using leverage to shimmy up or down levels between the dividing walls. Some will even have electrical conduit that can be climbed or swung on. (check carefully and throughly to make sure they are well mounted, metal, and will hold your weight + forces.)

These can be found in downtown districts, campuses, hospitals, and malls, plus I'm sure I've missed other locales.

P.S. Cart Returns are always 'in my way' when I go to the store. Vault, underbar, vault. always fun, and love the old folks looks of "Wish I could do pointless stuff like that still."

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »

Hey be nice to him he is just askin...We were all noobies at some point right? ;D
-Fr33Runner

shadow1234

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »

lol that's not true sorry.