Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 63975 times)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Recipes
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
We should share recipes that we like! They can be our favorite thing to make/eat before a workout, easy and healthy weeknight meals, whatever. Since I almost became a chef before becoming a teacher, I know I'll geek out pretty hard on a thread like this. :) What's your favorite healthy recipe?

Here's one I love to make on busy weeknights (which is practically all the time for me). It's adapted from a recipe in The Dancing Gourmet, one of my favorite cookbooks written by a professional ballet dancer.

Bon appetit!

Soba Soup

Season 2-4 chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Broil or grill until done.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, saute chopped garlic, grated ginger, red pepper flakes for a few moments until fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms and chopped onion and saute until soft. Add equal parts chicken and vegetable broth. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.

While broth is simmering, cook whole wheat soba noodles until tender, and drain. Slice cooked chicken breasts.

Line bowls with fresh spinach leaves. Top with hot noodles and pour broth over the top. Top with chicken pieces. Garnish with chopped scallions, toasted sesame seeds, and fresh cilantro if desired.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »
Chicken:
- 5 to 6 pounds of chicken
- half cup of steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- lotsa spicy chicken seasoning

Mix seasonings together, and pour them into a large pan. Drop the chicken in this pan, and slosh it around a bit to spread out all the sauce. Grill. Eat some now, refrigerate the rest. Should last you the week... Maybe.

Steak:
- 1 to 2 pounds of top round
- lotsa steak spices

Mix in a fashion similar to the chicken. Grill. Etc. Will last you 30 seconds. Tops.

Hard Boiled Eggs:
- water
- eggs

Boil water in a pot. Put 6-8 eggs in the water. Wait about 7-9 minutes. Take the eggs out of the water. Peel before eating.

Tuna:
- can of tuna
- can opener
- steak sauce

Open can of tuna; drain. Add steak sauce, because tuna tastes like crap without it.

Cottage Cheese:
- container of cottage cheese
- fruit and nuts, etc.

Open container of cottage cheese, and put some into a bowl. Add fruits and nuts. Add steak sauce if necessary.

OKAY! I'll admit to it! Maybe I'm not the best cook! Just maybe!

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »
lol Whiteninja. No worries. Whatever works for you. ;)

As promised in another thread, my favorite lentil recipe, also from "The Dancing Gourmet" cookbook; and my hummus recipe. Both are cheap, easy, healthy, and satisfying. Don't let the length of the recipes fool you or make you uncomfortable. Both are quite easy to make.
Bon appetit!

Lentils

1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
4 1/2-5 cups nonfat chicken stock
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 large carrot, trimmed, scraped, and chopped fine
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2-1 small hot red chile pepper, trimmed, seeded (unless you like it really spicy), and finely chopped (I often use red pepper flakes for convenience)
4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped*
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Rinse lentils well. Bring 4 cups of chicken stock to a boil in a large pot and add lentils. Turn heat down and simmer. Cook lentils 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Saute onions and carrots over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, and tomatoes and cook until soft, about 3 minutes more. Add cooked lentils and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat through, adding more chicken stock as needed to make the lentils slightly soupy. Add lemon juice and heat through.

*Peeling plum tomatoes is kind of a hassle, so I often just use canned chopped tomatoes for convenience. One can, drained, usually does the job. If you want to use fresh tomatoes, here are two ways of peeling them. The complicated way: cut a few slits in the skin. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for about a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water too cool them. The skins should slip off easily (I have never had much success with this). The easier way (discovered accidentally by me): Cut tomatoes into quarters or eighths; manageable sized chunks. Put into a Zyliss chopper and chop coarsely. The tomato flesh should chop, but the skin should stay intact. You can now scrape the chopped tomato flesh easily off of the skin. Voila!

NOTE: To keep preparation simple, I often make the lentils in one pan, sauteeing the vegetables and seasonings in the bottom of a large saucepan or dutch oven for a few moments, and then adding the broth to boil, and then adding the lentils, lowering the heat to a fast simmer. It alters the taste a bit, but not in a bad way. Makes the flavors blend together more. Plus there's one less dish to was at the end!

Hummus

In a blender, mix until smooth (all proportions approximate; adjust to taste):

1-2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/4-1/2 cup tahini
Juice of one half to one whole lemon
minced fresh garlic (to taste)
Salt (to taste)

You may need to add some water to soften it to the consistency you like. Enjoy with whole wheat pita wedges, chopped fresh vegetables, on sandwiches/wraps as a substitute for mayo, etc.

Enjoy. Let me know if you have questions on any of these.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
*Peeling plum tomatoes is kind of a hassle, so I often just use canned chopped tomatoes for convenience. One can, drained, usually does the job. If you want to use fresh tomatoes, here are two ways of peeling them. The complicated way: cut a few slits in the skin. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for about a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water too cool them. The skins should slip off easily (I have never had much success with this). The easier way (discovered accidentally by me): Cut tomatoes into quarters or eighths; manageable sized chunks. Put into a Zyliss chopper and chop coarsely. The tomato flesh should chop, but the skin should stay intact. You can now scrape the chopped tomato flesh easily off of the skin. Voila!
Or you can do it the "marines' way" and chop huge hordes of sphere from all sides making it a cube  ;D
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline kenkomachi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 06:19:32 AM »
mmmm, foooood. I like this one because it doesn't involve a lot of ingredients....

Moroccan Chickpea Stew

Ingredients:
3 15.5 oz. cans chick peas (drained and rinsed out)
1 small onion diced
1 clove garlic
1 15.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
sugar
salt
4 cps chicken broth
1/2 package frozen spinach

1. Heat up some olive oil in a soup pot and sautee the diced onions
2. Press garlic and add to onions
3. Add the cumin, paprika, and cinnamon and cook for a minute or two to get the flavor in. Stir it around a bit so that it doesn't start burning....
4. Add everything else until it bubbles
5. Lower heat and simmer / bubble 45 mins.
6. Mash the beans a little, and then add spinach
7. Add salt and sugar to taste

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:16 AM »

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:13:34 PM »
Cereal:
milk and choice of cereal
(joke)

i get some awsome recipes from gormet mag

like this pizza margherita

2 6-inch sourdough halved
2 tble spoon olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
1 cp tomato/ basil pasta sauce
1 1/3 cps shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup basil sliced
2 italian plum tomatoes, diced
some parmigiano-reggiano
-
preheat oven 375
put the rolls on baking sheet cut up
brush with mix of oil and garlic
 bake for 2-3 mins
spread the pasta sauce
put on other stuff on roll nicely arranged in this order
: mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, and parm.
bake 6-7 min until cheese is melted

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:10:51 AM »
I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, but I'm really excited to.  Muse, you said you'd have a lot.  Please share more!  I love this thread

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Crispy Parmesan Chicken Breasts

Ingredients
1.   1/3 cup KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
2.   1/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
3.   1/4 teaspoon paprika
4.   1/4 teaspoon salt
5.   1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6.   6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
7.   3 tablespoons butter or margarine melted

Nutrition Info   
Serving size: 6 servings
·   Calories: 225 kcal
·   Carbohydrates: 3 g
·   Dietary Fiber: 0 g
·   Fat: 10 g
·   Protein: 27 g
·   Sugars: 0 g

Cooking Directions
1. Preheat ovens to 400 degrees F. Mix cheese, crumbs and seasonings in shallow dish.
2.   Dip chicken in butter; coat with cheese mixture. Place in greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
3.   Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Yield: 6 servings (Serving size: 6 servings)

That’s the way your supposed to make it but I do it differently, I substitute the butter with an egg or two and I don’t use exact measurements I just sort of throw stuff in until it feels right and it always comes out nice (but its still more or less along the lines of the recipe calls for).

For the cheese the smaller it is the better so grate it or buy it grated because it’s a pain to get it fine enough otherwise

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »
Applesauce, I'll try to get more, I promise! :) I'll see if I can think of a few more but hopefully this will hold you in the meantime.

Maple-glazed salmon.

1 salmon fillet
maple syrup (the real kind, from actual trees; not Mrs. Whatshername's or whatever. It's more expensive, but worth it.)
black peppercorns.

Amounts are to taste; experiment with what you like.

Preheat broiler and prepare broiler pan (I line the undertray with foil for easy cleanup). Pour a thin layer of syrup into a shallow pan large enough to hold the salmon fillet. Crack peppercorns coarsely using a peppermill (or place in a large zipper bag and crush under a rolling pin or heavy skillet). Sprinkle cracked pepper over syrup. Place salmon fillet in syrup, skin-side up, to coat salmon flesh in syrup and make peppercorns stick evenly. Place salmon on broiler pan, skin-side down, and set salmon under broiler and broil until fish is matte all the way through and flakes easily along ridges with a fork.

This recipe has quite a bit of sugar because of the syrup, but it's nice for a simple, elegant treat. Served with steamed asparagus and a fresh salad, it's delicious and you can mitigate the sugar a bit.

Bon appetit!

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »
Here are two recipe ideas, both would work for easy, healthy snacks or side dishes to a larger meal. Bon appetit!

Cowboy Caviar.

This is a great snack, packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins. The corn kind of makes the carb count go up a bit, but there are worse things. The protein and fiber are great though. It's normally served with tortilla chips, but I've found that whole wheat pita is a healthy alternative. Another option is to use the cowboy caviar as "filler" on a sandwich or wrap, or as a side dish for a cumin-rubbed broiled chicken breast or fish fillet.

1 can pinto beans
1 can black-eyed peas
6 oz. chopped jalapeno peppers
1 can "shoe peg" corn
4 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 green and one red bell pepper, diced

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Mix Splenda and vinegar together until sugar substitute dissolves. Whisk together with oil, forming an emulsion. Marinate all vegetables & beans in vinegar mixture for several hours. Drain off marinade before serving.

Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges

These can also be kind of high in carbs, relatively speaking, but they are packed with vitamin A and are relatively low in fat for being as satisfying as they are. They are a great side dish for cajun-spiced meats (especially pork tenderloin), and are also a great snack when you want to feel like you're eating chips or fries. The peeling and cutting of the sweet potatoes is kind of a hassle, but worth it.

2 peeled sweet potatoes, cut into "pub chip" shaped wedges. Combine sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss gently to coat. Place wedges on a baking sheet (do not overlap); bake at 425* F for 25 minutes or until very tender. (I usually bake mine for just shy of 40 min).

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »
Doh! Forgot the other ingredients for the roasted sweet potato wedges *slaps forehead*

Sorry guys... I tried to edit them in but got an error message. Here you go:

1 t. olive oil
1/2 t. curry powder
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/8 t. ground cloves (I usually leave these out)
salt & pepper to taste

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
Thanks Muse!

+1

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:08 AM »
maple syrup (the real kind, from actual trees; not Mrs. Whatshername's or whatever. It's more expensive, but worth it.)

Thank goodness you mentioned that.
Almost no one realizes that big-brand maple syrups are nearly all HFCS and water.
Take a look at the ingredients of any of them... The only mention of maple is in "artificial and natural flavors," which is the second to last thing on the list after "sodium benzate (sp?)," a preservative. It's basically a bad tasting liquid which is 6x more sugary than Pepsi.

When I have a need for syrup, I usually replace it with watered-down honey (if you don't water it down, it's still really sugary; give the water and honey a day to mix together).

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
A simple way to prepare steak (also works nicely for pork chops):

Muse's Tasty Dry Rub

2t. dry mustard
2t paprika
2t garlic powder
salt to taste
freshly cracked peppercorns to taste

Mix dry rub ingredients together (you may adjust quantities to taste). Rub over meat. Let stand 10-30 minutes at room temperature (refrigerate if using pork). Broil or grill to preferred doneness.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »

Thank goodness you mentioned that.
Almost no one realizes that big-brand maple syrups are nearly all HFCS and water.
Take a look at the ingredients of any of them... The only mention of maple is in "artificial and natural flavors," which is the second to last thing on the list after "sodium benzate (sp?)," a preservative. It's basically a bad tasting liquid which is 6x more sugary than Pepsi.

When I have a need for syrup, I usually replace it with watered-down honey (if you don't water it down, it's still really sugary; give the water and honey a day to mix together).

Or... you know.... don't eat anything with syrup.

(I don't like sweet tasting foods most the time.)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »
Okay folks; here is another one. This one I just kind of made up, so the measurements are vague. I rarely measure when I cook, and instead go by my senses of sight and smell, and intuition. It's based off of a traditional Provencal recipe, which I have eaten but have never made; and just sort of simplified/reverse-engineered to try to make a basic and low-fat version that's quick and tasty on busy weeknights. Enjoy!

Poulet Provencal

Chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
Herbes de Provence
White wine (1/4-1/2 cup)
Butter (small amount 1-2 teaspoons, for flavor)
Olive oil
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 jar nicoise or kalamata olives, drained and rinsed

Salt and pepper chicken breasts to taste. Heat olive oil and butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl pan to coat. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add chicken. Brown chicken on all sides until golden. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Pour white wine into pan and deglaze until reduced by about half. Add tomatoes and herbes de provence, stirring to combine. Return chicken to pan and simmer, partially covered, until chicken is done, stirring and turning chicken breasts occasionally. Add olives and cook uncovered 10 minutes more. Add more herbes de provence to taste during last 5 minutes of cooking.

Bon appetit!

Tomorrow I'll share my unbelievably simple salade nicoise recipe.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 08:08:27 AM »
As promised, here is my salade nicoise recipe.

Salade nicoise is a classic dish from Nice, in the south of France (one of the most beautiful areas of the world, in my opinion). There are many variations but nicoise olives and tuna are two common elements. I like it because it's a great way to get a lot of protein and a lot of vegetables in a very satisfying way. All you're eating is salad, but it feels so substantial because of the ingredients. There's a lot of "up front" preparation but it's pretty simple in the long run. The dressing is a classic French vinaigrette; pretty much what "real" French dressing is (not the orange-red stuff!)

Again, as usual, proportions are not given because I never measure. This recipe can be easily scaled for the number of people.

For the salad:

Tuna steak(s)
Salt & pepper
Eggs
Fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
Fresh tomatoes
Romaine lettuce leaves (or salad greens of your choice)
Nicoise or kalamata olives, drained and rinsed to remove excess salt
Chopped scallions
Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

1. Preheat broiler or grill. Season tuna steak(s) with salt and pepper to taste. Prepare a bowl of ice water and set aside.
2. Place whole eggs in a saucepan filled with enough cold water to cover them. Place saucepan on burner over high heat. Bring to a boil. Set timer for 12 minutes.
3. When eggs begin boiling, place green beans in a steamer insert in a saucepan with water. Cover, and turn burner to high. Bring to a boil.
4. Place tuna steak(s) under broiler or on grill. Broil/grill 4-6 minutes each side, or to desired doneness and remove from heat. Let cool.
5. When egg timer goes off, turn off all burners. Your tuna should be done as well. Remove eggs from saucepan and plunge into bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep the yolks from turning green.
6. At this time your green beans should also be done; they should be bright green in color and still a bit crisp. Remove steamer insert from pan and plunge green beans into bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep them crisp.
7. While your eggs and beans are cooling, prepare the salad: chop greens, tomatoes, and scallions to your liking, and place in bowl. Make vinaigrette (below).
8. Remove eggs from ice bath. Peel away shells and cut up eggs into slices. Remove beans from ice bath and drain well. Cut up tuna steaks into chunks.
9. Top salad greens with eggs, green beans, and tuna pieces. Pour vinaigrette over and toss gently. Sprinkle olives over and serve.

Bon appetit!

Vinaigrette

Mix in proportions to your liking:

Red wine vinegar
Olive oil (not extra-virgin; you may want to mix it with a more stable oil such as canola)
Dijon mustard
Salt & pepper
Thyme and/or parsley.

I like to shake the mixture in a screw-top jar to make the mixing easier and to get a better emulsion. I also find it's easier to mix all the ingredients except the oil first, and then add the oil at the end. Sometimes I'll add some finely chopped shallot and/or minced garlic, but it's a matter of preference. Vinaigrette will keep for only a few days in the fridge, so it's best to make it in small batches.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline plasmagrey

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
World's Best Guacamole in 8 Easy Steps!

With this recipe I've single-handedly made the avocado industry an extra $2mil per year. (Now where's my check?!) Seriously though even people who HATE guacamole become total converts once they've had this stuff. ;D
It tastes GREAT, it's healthy, and it's pretty easy to prep. Great as a dip, Mexican side dish, or topping. Serves 3-4, or one hungry bastard (me, for example).

Ingredients:
3-4 tbsp. hothouse tomato, diced
3-4 tbsp. red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 medium avocados (1.5 large ones)
1/2 lime juice
salt
Mexican spices (chili powder, garlic salt)
I've got my own spice mix but it's TOP SECRET :P

Tools:
(optional) guacamole bowl (any bowl with a rough texture. Makes mixing easier)

Preparation:

1. Slice open jalapeno and scrape out all of the junk inside (seeds, white stuff, everything) leaving only the skin. Cut off the stem. Dice jalapeno.

Jalapeno Handling tips:
Are you sensitive to jalapeno? You're about to find out! The moment you start cutting it you'll cough like a mustard gas victim and your eyes will burn (it owns). If you'd rather not get pepper sprayed, run the jalapeno under cold water while you scrape out the seeds. Got an itch near your eye? DON'T SCRATCH IT. Gotta pee? HOLD IT IN.  Wash everything - front, back, fingernails. SCRUB like the president's heart surgeon or you will be SORRY. Taste-test your finger. If it burns, wash more. Wash your utensils too.
( Eat guacamole at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any sitcom-style eye / crotch-burning shenanigans )

2. ok so you've peeled off your jalapeno containment suit, now get to work on dicing that onion.  About 3-4 tablespoons worth should work.

3. I love tomatoes so I add around 4-5 tablespoons of diced tomato to my guacamole. Use 3-4 tablespoons for a more balanced flavor.

4. Avocado prep can be tricky. (make sure it's ripe! Just a little squishy to the touch) Take a knife and cut lengthwise until you hit the pit. Then go around until you've cut it in half. One half has the pit, and the other doesn't. To remove the pit you can chop into it with the knife and twist.

5. Now take a spoon and scrape out all the avocado insides, try to get it out in one piece.

6. Chop your lime in half. Stick a fork in one half and use it to squeeze out all the juice into your guacamole bowl. Add about 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of the mexican spices and salt to the bowl.

7. Drop your avocado in there and mash it with some forks. Leave some chunks in there, you're not making mashed potatoes. :)

8. Gently mix in the tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos until it's all even. Then add salt to taste.

Done!

Aw man my mouth is watering. Geez, now I gotta go make some.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
Plamsagrey, that sounds *AWESOME*. But you have to tell us what your secret spice mix is! Otherwise it won't be the same! *puppy dog eyes*

Guacamole is pretty much one of my faves. And for those of you trying to gain weight, it's a great way to get a ton of super healthy fat.

I'm going to try your recipe some time this week, PG.

www.madisonparkour.com