Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 64721 times)

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Alright, I hate to do this, but this comes from the same site as Chris' and Muse's highly recommended High-Protein Chicken Pizza. But these are so good, and I added some minor notes, that I feel justified in posting:

Lemon Tarts

Pastry
. 1 cup almond meal (Almond meal is nothing more than finely ground almonds. Take some, stick 'em in a blender/food processor/Magic Bullet. PULSE them, don't grind too finely)
. 3 Tbsp lemon juice
. 4 dates
Filling
. 6 Tbsp lemon juice
. 1 finely grated lemon rind
. 1 Tbsp honey
. 2 eggs

Pre-heat oven to 365 degrees Farenheit. To make the pastry, place ingredients into a blender and mix until well combined. In a muffin tray (I like to use a mini muffin tray), line individual holes with baking paper, and firmly place pastry mixture on the bottom and sides. You'll have to shape it with your fingers. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until pastry has browned. Leave to cool.

To make the filling, place lemon juice, lemon rind and honey into a pan and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes. In a bowl, beat eggs well with a fork. When mixture is simmering nicely, turn heat down a bit, then slowly add the beaten eggs, stirring vigorously to form a nice smooth texture. Add more honey if desired, though I don't recommend. Leave to cool slightly.

When pastry has cooled, and the filling has reduced to a warm temperature. You can then spoon the filling into each individual tart. Place in the fridge until cooled and set (about 30 minutes). Makes around 4 servings, depending on size.

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
Something quick and easy I've found:

1 can tuna

1 hardboiled egg

Light Mayo (Optional)

Bread (Also optional, I don't usually eat it on bread anyway)

Cut up the egg, (remove yolk if needed) add the tuna and stir in a little mayo and eat! If you dont particularly like the taste then put it on toast, that works pretty well.
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2009, 05:12:25 PM »
Here is my adaptation of a recipe from Cooking Light magazine...

Greek-style salad (or as Mr. Muse and I call it, Gyro salad)

1 pork tenderloin, fat trimmed
oregano, marjoram, garlic, & fennel to taste
red wine vinegar
olive oil

Mix the above ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag and mix well, massaging seasonings into meat. Let marinate for 30 minutes or more.

8 oz plain yogurt (low fat if you like)
1 whole peeled chopped cucumber
fresh dill

Mix the above in a blender or food processor until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.

Grill or broil pork tenderloin until done. It's better on a grill but if you don't have one, a broiler will work just as well. (Tip: if broiling, slice tenderloin into "medallions" before marinating and arrange medallions on broiler pan--they will cook faster this way).

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix

salad greens
spinach
sliced tomato
thinly sliced red onion
8-10 kalamata olives
1-2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese

When pork is done, let cool a bit, and arrange slices over salad. Top with the cucumber-yogurt dressing. Enjoy!

Can also substitute beef or lamb.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:32:03 PM by Muse_of_Fire »
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Bowdz

« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
Wow Muse, that salad sounds amazing! I can't wait to give it a try this weekend.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
This is super easy, and it tastes great in the summertime. :) Warning: There's a lot of fat in here, but most of it's good fat, so whatever... ::)

Avocado-Tomato Salad...Thing
Ingredients:
  • 1 carton cherry tomatos (or equivalent amount of tomato of choice)
  • 2-4 avocados
  • 1/4 - 1/2 red onion, diced
  • flat-leaf parsley (curly-leaf parsley works too, or even cilantro, but they taste funny to me)
  • fresh mozzarella
  • lemon juice
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Directions:
  • Wash any of the produce that needs to be washed...
  • Cut up the tomatoes and avocados and mix together. If you're using cherry tomatoes, just cut them in half, but if you're using larger ones, shoot for chunks that are ~1" cubes.
  • Dice the onion and parsley add them. This is to taste, so add as much or as little as you like.
  • Cut the mozzarella into 1" cubes and add it.
  • Mix in whatever else hasn't already been mixed. You're done! :D

This works great on its own, but it could also be a dip-type thing if you adjust the ingredient ratios. 8)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Cody

• Guenons
  • Strength is overcoming pain in the body.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Cody Burger

Patty of choice hamburger meat
Lemon Pepper
Freshly Ground Pepper (regular is fine i'z just preferred)
Garlic Powder
BBQ seasoning
Minced Garlic
Diced Onions
Onion Salt
Choice Cheese
Bread or Buns

Directions:(?)
Start with mixing a tiny forkful of the minced garlic and adding it to the burger and mixing around.
Make your patty thin so when you you cook it you can avoid having to mash the juices out of the burger with you spatula.
Lightly season with Lemon Pepper, Garlic Powder, Pepper, BBQ seasoning, and Onion Salt on both sides.
Embed the Diced Onions lightly enough into the burger to where they're not too deep in to leave sides but not deep enough to stay. This will saute onions while burger is cooking.
Cook burger and try not to use spatula to flatten, this causes a dry burger if done excessively.
Add cheese (my favorite to use is swiss) and if wanted sauce (my favorite is KC master piece) and bread, then... viola, you have a 5 star burger!!!
DO NOT STEAL MY RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked very hard to come up with this creation!!!!!!!!
Prince Mradhampir

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, that is why it's called the present."
Kung Fu Panda

Offline sbrochew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
Killer Meatloaf

2 lbs. Ground beef
1 small to medium onion
1 small to medium green pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
Salt and pepper
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
Dash of Tabasco Sauce
3 slices of bread
Ketchup

Dice the onion and green pepper then saute in pan until the juices come out. Mix all ingredients together with the veggies except the 3 slices of bread, bread crumbs, and ketchup. Soak the bread in cold water then squeeze out and drain. Mix together with the beef mix and add the bread crumbs. NOTE: ALWAYS MIX WITH YOUR HANDS FOR BEST RESULTS! Mold big pile of stuff into whatever shape you imagine your meatloaf, making sure its not too crazy so it will cook all the way through. Spread ketchup (to your liking) on the outside of the meatloaf, put in preheated oven on 375 degrees for about 50 minutes or until cooked through.

Serve with a bag of steamed veggies!!!

"That which does not kill you only makes you stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
I thought I would add something else besides technical info and scientific discussions, so here is one of my personal recipes:

(I enjoy chemical or artificial food a lot, and not wanting to hurt animals I also use chemical food in place of meat/fish):

Chemical Hot Dog (high-protein, high fiber, almost fat-free, low calories):
1 chemical meat-free hot dogs (lightlife smart dogs)
1/4th high fiber multigrain soft wrap
~1 tsp of spicy brown mustard

nuke the fake hotdog in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, then wrap it in the softwrap with some mustard, then microwave again for 10 seconds.

Nutritional info for TWO of these is:
Calories: 90+50+2 = 142 (fakemeat+wrap+mustard)
Protein: 18+4.5+0= 22.5 g
Fiber: 2+6+0= 8 g
Carbs: 2+4+0= 6 g
Sugar: 2+0.5+0= 2.5 g
Fat: 0+1.5+0= 1.5 g (mono-unsaturated, from e.v. olive oil)

At least in my opinion, delicious ;)

Offline Phil Howe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »
Scotch Eggs

A baked version of a UK classic, this particular recipe was taken from the Achewood Cookbook.  You can make as many or as few Scotch Eggs as you like, the basis was 4 Scotch Eggs for the recipe yield.

4 hard boiled eggs, shelled.

1 pound loose sausage

2 beaten eggs

2 cups bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400F.
Cover one baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Put bread crumbs and eggs into separate bowls.
Divide sausage into equal portions, and spread each portion out into a flat round.
Place a hard boiled egg in the center of each round, and then wrap the sausage around the egg, making sure to cover the egg completely and evenly.
Dip covered egg into beaten egg, then roll in the bread crumbs to coat.
Place dipped and coated eggs on the baking sheet, and then when all the eggs have been fully coated, put in oven for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool for a few minutes and then slice in half.
Appreciate the beauty of layers.
Eat.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
OMG I *LOVE* Achewood!!!!!

Yay! :D

I was supposed to get the Achewood cookbook like 2 years ago for my birthday, but Onstad ate my order, apparently. And now there is a new one out, I think?

Please tell me Ray isn't dead.

</hijack>
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Something to help you feel better on a cold night:

Boiling Water
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 freshly ground/grated cinnamon bark
2 anise seed pods or 1/4th teaspoon five-spice powder.
Pinch of cayenne pepper for added kick

1.) Combine honey, ginger, cinnamon, anise seed pods and cayenne pepper.
2.) Add as much boiling water as needed to dissolve honey.
3.) Let steep for 5 minutes, each ginger pieces as you go along, or if you can't manage that, strain of solids and drink.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »
In honor of cooler weather and fall produce...

Ingredients:
1 medium-sized butternut squash (or cheat and get the canned stuff)
3.5-4 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp sugar or honey (optional)
salt
nutmeg
cinnamon
1 cup whipping cream (not whippED cream)

Directions:
(1) Cook the squash. You can do this any way you like, but one good way is to cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds/stringy bits, put it in a baking dish (cut side down) with a little bit of water, and stick it in the oven for ~45 minutes at 350 degrees. Supposedly you can microwave it, but I haven't had much luck with that.

(2) When the squash is done, get rid of the skin and mash the insides. You can do it by hand if you're careful to get rid of all the lumps, or you can use a food processor. The goal is to end up with about 4 cups of mashed squash.

(3) Put the squash in a largish pot on the stove, along with the chicken broth, the sugar (if you're using it), and a little bit of salt. Bring the mix to a boil over medium heat. If you find lumpy bits of squash, smash them against the sides of the pot with a spoon.

(4) When the soup is at a rolling boil and you're satisfied that everything has mixed well, stir in 1/2 of the whipping cream, a little bit at a time. Add nutmeg and cinnamon, to taste.

(5) Turn the heat down to low. Keep checking the pot periodically, and stir every so often to keep the soup from scorching.

(6) Whip the rest of the whipping cream.

(7) When the soup has heated all the way through, take it off the stove. Serve right away, and put a dollop of the whipped cream on top of each bowl. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Bon appetit! :)

Notes: You can try this with other types of squash if you like, even pumpkin. And don't be afraid to play with the spices! If you're feeling really adventurous, try adding other things to the soup, like chunks of carrots & celery, or pieces of cooked chicken (in which case you'd add a bit more salt and omit the dollop of whipped cream at the end).
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2009, 03:22:53 AM »
No bake protein snacks

1 C. Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
1/2 C. Raisins
1/2 C. Dry Milk
1/4 C. Sunflower or sesame seeds
1/4 C. Honey

Blend ingredients and roll in to balls, then refrigerate. My grandma's recipe, and they are really good.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
Nice dinner I make every once in a while. Ill get pics next time I make it. :D

Dinner Combo

Ingredients -
Red bell pepper
2 Potatoes. Or just an instant mashed potatoes packet. :)
An onion.
Peas
Chicken breast
Chicken Gravy (Any other gravy works, but this is the best so far)

Instructions -

Potatoes - Peel 2 potatoes, Slice and dice, Boil in water until the potatoes become soft enough to poke them easily with a skewer.

Spice Mix - While those are boiling, take a red bell pepper and some unions. Chop em both up, and stick em in a pan over the stove. Mix them around and together until golden brown. You should end up with a small bowlful of them.

Chicken - Take some chicken breast and tear off small chunks of it, about bite sized

Chicken Gravy - If you have it, make some.

Peas - Heat some up. :D

Once the potatoes are done, start mashin em, doesn't matter how. You should end with a nice pan of mashed potatoes. Add some chives if you have them, then mix in some ground pepper, a little milk, and a little butter.

You should end up with

Mashed potatoes
Chicken gravy
Chicken
A Pepper/Onion mix
and Peas

Scoop mashed potatoes onto a plate. Mix in peas, so you have a nice even mixture. Next, take the chicken, and mix it in as well. You should now have a big ol' chunky mixture of potatoes, chicken, and peas.

Place the pepper and onion mix on top, and spread it out so you dont get too much at one time.
Pour the chicken gravy over everything.

You're ready to eat!

No more fussing around with seperate piles of food, its all in one here.

It works because -
-The chicken gravy, the chicken, and the potatoes go together.
-Peas and Mashed potatoes. Whats not to love?
-The peppers and onions add a bit of a spice too it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:49:56 PM by Andrew Granite Wilson »
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Katherine Mercy B

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • DarkasNight
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
here is one of the many takes on the jerk seasoning recipe ^_^ [just i've have about 9 or 9 already trying to refine the right type for my tastes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup ground allspice berries
1/2+ cup packed brown sugar
6 to 8 garlic cloves
4 to 6 Scotch bonnet peppers
1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
2 bunches scallions (green onions)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce to moisten

WoodlandGhillie

1-Ingredient Ice-Cream for the Healthy!
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Bananas. Yep, thats the one ingredient! Healthy and yummy, right?

What you'll need:
Preferably small blender or food processor
3 medium sized bananas for approx. 8 oz.
a freezer
a ziploc bag (freezer bags are best)
a sunny day is helpful as well

Additions:
strawberries
honey
whey protein powder
Anything you want!

You'll need your bananas to be browned slightly. (Little brown spots, not the whole thing black/brown.) This is easiest if you leave them outside for about an hour or two. Once browned, open them and cut them up into 4-10 pieces. You will have 12-30 pieces of banana. (If you are using 3) Stick them in the freezzer overnight, or until frozen (If you want to add strawberries or other fruit, stick them in the freezer as well.) Pull then out, and stick all your fruit/optional items in the food processor. Add a tablespoon or two of water. Blend until VERY smooth. I mean, REALLY smooth. Try and keep the processing time under 8 minutes, or else they begin to defrost, then it's not really ice cream.

I just made a plain banana batch and ate it, I also made a banana-strawberry batch and stuck it in the freezer. YUM!

(Idea came from http://www.instructables.com/id/1-ingredient-Ice-Cream/#)

(EDIT: Thanks for merging Chris, didn't know APK had a recipe thread.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:14:07 AM by Evan "Blanc" S. »

Offline Cheryl-MimiIBlonde

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Simple girl, big city. Oh what to do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »
I found a great improved way to enjoy brussel sprouts without the yucky taste! All you need is a simple very few ingrediants.

1 carton of Brussel Sprouts
As many cloves of garlic as you want, I used like three
1 small/medium onion

Any other veggies welcome, serve with wheat pasta, with couscous or whatever you like.

Slice onion into rounds and seperate. Heat pan on stove, about medium and add a liberal amount of Olive oil, or EVOO (I used butter) Add onion ringlets into pan and saute until soft. Take Brussel Sprouts and trim off the stem area, you won't be needing that. Also cut into rounds, and then give a rough chop before adding in with the onions. The last thing you want to do is wait until the Brussel Sprouts are slightly darkish green and add the minced garlic. I want to head a warning though...so here it goes: DON'T BURN THE GARLIC!!!! It doesn't taste good when it's brown and crunchy. Wait until the garlic gets soft and then remove from heat, add salt if desired. Serve with whatever you like, wheat pasta or couscous, or whatever you like.

Will post pic once I do it again.
I am strong; I am fast; I am a traceur; Think you can out run me now? Sure, you use the obvious path, but I will use the fastest.
Obstacle? What obstacle?
21.6 pounds lost! 50 more to go!

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Anyone have a good recipe with egg noodles and an infinite amount of spices? (I'm not kidding, there are over 250 little bottles...)

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Mouth=watering
unfortunately, most of the recipes i know aren't exactly... healthy