Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 68531 times)

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »

Here's how I would punch it up, Animus:

1. Use light olive oil as opposed to EVOO. EVOO is more fruity tasting and can diminish "strong" flavors. Also, reduce the amount of oil you're using, you want to use the fat in the meat to flavor the vegetables,rather than the oil, because it's more flavorful. Too much olive oil will compete with the meaty flavor.

2. Saute the garlic by itself for a few moments in the oil, just to flavor it. Then add the ground beef and brown it. Remove meat from pan to drain and saute the onion in the meat drippings, adding the zucchini shortly thereafter. As the vegetables start to give off water, use the liquid to deglaze the pan.

3. Eliminate the basil and parsley. They are "sweeter" flavors and you want something more savory. Cumin is good as is paprika. I'd also recommend using Zatar, a Middle-Eastern seasoning blend, (you can use thyme if Zatar isn't available, as it's a main ingredient in Zatar), and a shot or two of cinnamon.

4. Don't caramelize the onions. This brings out a sweet flavor and you want them to still be snappy-tasting. Yellow onion (not a sweet variety like Vidalia, but just a standard Spanish yellow onion) is good. Saute the onions in the beef drippings until they're just starting to sweat, then add the zucchini and use the liquid to deglaze the pan. Then return the meat to the pan and add your spices, mixing to incorporate. You may need to add a little water or beef stock to keep the pan moist if things are starting to stick. Add salt (I was puzzled to see there was no salt in the recipe--salt is the easiest way to make foods taste more like themselves!)

5. Toast the pita bread in the oven; it only takes a few seconds. You can also brush it with olive oil and shake a little Zatar over it before toasting. You just want it a little crisp but still flexible enough to stuff with your meat.

6. I would add finely chopped, peeled cucumber, a pinch or two of sugar, and a little white vinegar and chopped parsley to the yogurt, to make a thinnish "dressing" to pour over the fillings.

Hope that helps!

I'm making this tonight. It sounds glorious and I've been having some sort of bread craving recently so I needed an excuse to get some whole-wheat stuff.  ;)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:11 PM »
Awesome, Bret! I'm interested in hearing how it turns out! I thought Animus's original recipe sounded pretty yummy.

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
I hear this one is delicious -- i may make it next weekend :P

High Protein Chicken Pizza 

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
I hear this one is delicious -- i may make it next weekend :P

High Protein Chicken Pizza 

OMG, flattened chicken breasts as pizza crusts... brilliant! Why didn't I think of it before? This recipe is a gem! Thanks for sharing, Chris.  :-*

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Quiggz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »
This thread is brilliant.  Who's up for compiling it into a legit cookbook and selling it in the APK store?
We give it all
This is the reason why I sing
So give it all
It's these reasons that belong to me.

I believe the human body is capable of anything the mind can imagine, so long as the unity of mind and body is strong enough.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »
This thread is brilliant.  Who's up for compiling it into a legit cookbook and selling it in the APK store?

I've been considering it for quite a while. It could be a community project. Here's what I think we need:

1. Someone to compile/write copy/organize/edit (I'd be happy to do that, compiling from this thread and any other submissions)
2. Someone to do design/layout/formatting
3. Someone to do art design/illustrations/photos
4. Someone to do nutritional analysis
5. Someone to oversee printing/binding
6. Someone to manage inventory/selling in the APK store (my guess is that'd be Mark and his crew).

Thoughts? Volunteers?

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
Aww thats awesome, I want to help. Except, I cant really do any of those, though I might be able to get you some help with the Design/photos/illustrations. I have friends with amazing skills, who Im sure wouldnt be too adverse to me cooking for them in exchange for small services (My buddy has a very nice thousand dollar camera, maybe more, im not even sure).

So I guess I should rephrase my first sentence. I could help out with number 3.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
So, I'm going to sidetrack from the exciting thought of an APK cookbook to add this little ditty:

..."Food"
Some sort of beef fillets
Parsnips
Ginger root
Garlic cloves
Red Wine Vinegar
Beef Broth

Saute le beef (salt and pepper!). Add parsnips (actually, parsnip pieces, which should be peeled, sliced, and quartered), grated ginger root, and finely chopped garlic cloves. Remove all from pan. Deglaze with red wine vinegar, add a bit more garlic. Reduce by adding beef broth. Pour reduction over beef + parsnips, enjoy.

Attempted something like this today for the first time after wanting to Saute/deglaze/reduce for the first time and cook something OTHER than halfway pan-roasted chicken. Originally I used ground venison and it didn't turn out quite how I wanted it.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »
Sounds delicious, Bret! How did it turn out?

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline HydeTheFormer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
I really like stir-fry for my diets, because it can give a wonderful bouquet of flavours, it's comparatively low-fat (I usu. use peanut oil, too), and best of all, it doesn't take very long.  :D  It's fairly easy, as well.  Basically oil and heat a wok on the stove (or a med - large skillet, if you don't have a wok), throw in meat and cook/brown carefully (keep stirring!), gradually throw in veggies, lentils, fruits, spices, etc.  Let 'em cook for a while, keep stirring, and it's done in 10 - 15.  Simple!  Recipes are basically whatever you feel like putting in the mix.  My favourite:

1-2 lbs chicken, cubed/diced
Tofu (if you want)
1 red pepper, julienned
2 green peppers, julienned
2-3 tsp sesame seeds
         - for maximum flavour, lightly brown seeds in wok/skillet before pouring in oil
1-3 tsp ginger (to taste... 1/2 cup if you're like me.  :P)
Salt & black pepper, to taste

That being said, if you already own a wok chances are you know how to use it... still, I'm sure somebody was wondering.

Here's a recipe I threw together a while ago.  It's now my wife's favourite.

Lemon Chicken

2-3 lbs chicken (I recommend thigh first, breast second; you can leave the skin on, it makes it crispier)
2/3 cup of lemon juice (more if needed)
~ 2 tsp rosemary (less if chopped fresh)
~ 2 tsp thyme (again, less if chopped fresh)
~ 2 tsp black pepper
1 - 2 tsp salt
And, of course, 2 tsp. ginger  :D

Combine all non-chicken ingredients into a medium-sized bowl, mix well.  This is your marinade.  Tenderize, perforate, and other fancy ways of "stabbing holes in" chicken.  This will let it take the marinade better.  Place chicken in bowl, make sure the marinade covers it all.  Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Heat oven to about 400°F.  Remove chicken from marinade and place on a pan or baking sheet (but make sure the sheet has raised edges -- the chicken gives off a lot of juice).  Save the marinade for now, and place chicken into oven.  Bake for about 25 minutes, then brush some of the marinade onto the chicken (you can get rid of the marinade after this).  Bake the chicken for another 35 - 40 minutes.  Basically you want the chicken to be fully cooked, and maybe a little brown on the surface.  If you left the skin on, the skin will be brown and crispy.  Use the fork test to make sure it's done if you want.  Let it cool for about ten minutes, then serve.  Goes great with steamed rice!

I like this dish especially because, when I'm just cooking for myself, I can get a few hours of jogging or training in while the chicken is marinading.

Anyway, hope somebody likes these!

~ Hyde, The Former
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:48:21 PM by HydeTheFormer »

Offline Matt Hein

• Patas
  • Dallas, Texas PK
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »

I've been considering it for quite a while. It could be a community project. Here's what I think we need:

1. Someone to compile/write copy/organize/edit (I'd be happy to do that, compiling from this thread and any other submissions)
2. Someone to do design/layout/formatting
3. Someone to do art design/illustrations/photos
4. Someone to do nutritional analysis
5. Someone to oversee printing/binding
6. Someone to manage inventory/selling in the APK store (my guess is that'd be Mark and his crew).

Thoughts? Volunteers?
I can do nutrition analysis. Though the mesurements would have to be pretty exact and I would need to know how much stuff was drained off and such.
A bad traceur does a move untill he gets it right. A great traceur does it untill he is not able to get it wrong.

Offline HydeTheFormer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
I'd buy that.  Heck, I'd help with the compilation and such.  Also, illustration could be sped along if every member with an included recipe would make the dish they posted and take some pictures.
I think that's a good idea, in short.  I'm still a relatively new member so I'm not sure how this sort of project would get started, but I have a bit of spare time these days, and I'd be willing to commit most of it to something like this.
~ Hyde, The Former

Offline Matt Hein

• Patas
  • Dallas, Texas PK
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
Welcome to APK. Yeah, pictures would defenately help. As well as some artistic plating.? ;) I'd buy it, and my dad would love to try cooking some of that stuff to I think.
A bad traceur does a move untill he gets it right. A great traceur does it untill he is not able to get it wrong.

Offline Matt Hein

• Patas
  • Dallas, Texas PK
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
Although selling would bring in money for APK.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
I think selling it kinda defeats the purpose of learning to cook cheaply , but some organization would definitely be helpful.

Naw. Buying it is a one-time expense. Hardly expensive.

Offline Matt Hein

• Patas
  • Dallas, Texas PK
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »
And we can put em in stores lol. We could make APK some money off this. Muse, can you get in touch with the guys who run the store? Since this was your Idea, you be coordinator.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
Happy to... and I will start a new thread to avoid cluttering this one.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »
Here's one i made up, and i love it.
Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwich
2 slices of whole grain bread,
-Spread one side with a thin laywer of cream cheese.(sounds gross but just try it)
 Top with:
 -*A filleted grilled chicken breast,
 -Tomato,
 -Lettuce,
 -Cucumbers,
 -Any other veggies you want,
*if not available, replace with sliced turkey
(can add)
-Cheese
-Mayo
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »
Grilled Chicken Breast

1. Fillet breasts and poke with fork, (too cook faster, more fully, and help flavor mix in)
2. Marinate in Italian Dressing for 45 mins.
3. Place on grill on Medium and sprinkle Greek Seasoning on both sides.
4. Continue too cook until inside do not have any pink

-I find that if the grill is on too high, it flash fries the chicken and it make it really dry.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
Penut Butter Sandwich

-Two slices of whole grain bread
 -All Natural penut butter inbetween
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,