Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 64740 times)

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: Recipes
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »
I cooked dinner last night, and I made a fairly interesting combination of leftovers and eggs.

I'm a fan of the "improvisational" cooking school, so there won't be many measurements here:

1 (bunch) of chopped tomatoes.
1 (bunch) of chopped cucumbers.
Whatever other vegetables you want to throw in.
1 (dash) of milk.
Several (cups) of water.
Several (handfulls) of leftover rice (already cooked, then frozen.)
2-3 eggs.

Break eggs into bowl, beat them (MERCILESSLY). Add in your dash of milk to make them a bit thinner.

Put a frying pan on your stove, turn on said stove. Every so often, wet your hand and toss some water droplets onto the frying pan to see if it's hot enough. (If it's not, they'll just kind of sit there. If it's hot enough, they'll bounce around and sizzle a bunch.)

Pour all of your rice onto the now-hot pan. Add a bit of water, and use a spatula to slosh the rice and water around. Once the rice has soaked up most of the water, put in all of your vegetables. Add a bit more water, and keep pushing and flipping them over with the spatula. I haven't done this, but it MIGHT work better if you keep the rice and the vegetables on different parts of the pan for now. I had some trouble ensuring that the vegetables cooked all the way (this is essentially a stir fry, but the rice was getting in the way.)

Once your vegetables are getting closer to done, add the eggs/milk to the frying pan and begin to scramble. Once they're about 3/4 of the way to where you like them, smoosh everything together with the spatula, and mix it all up. Mix it way good up, and let the eggs keep scrambling. Once they're how you like them, dump it onto a plate and eat!

It's basically stirfry with rice and scrambled eggs. Not too complicated, but it's a nice change from just plain old scrambled eggs.

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
Happydud, that is a special case of recipe called "FOOD!"

1. Put everything that it is eatable from fridge onto pan.
2. Pour a couple of eggs over.
3. Wait 5-10 minutes.
4. Shout "FOOD!" and begin to eat.

PS. Oh yes, you should turn the pan on too.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »
As you wish, Animus. :) By the way, these are NOT "healthy." They are insofar as they're not processed, they're all-natural (or mostly so), etc; but they are not "health" or "diet" food. FYI. But I am under the assumption that, even though she is a traceuse, your goals here are a bit different than a simple post-training session refuel. :)

Also, I did not scale the recipes for two. I am too tired to do math at this hour.

Menu #1 (New Orleans):

Big Easy Shrimp (wine: Viognier or Pinot Gris)
Green salad
Jambalaya (wine: Tempranillo, Oregon or California Pinot Noir, or a Grenache-based red--look for a fruitier wine)
Caramelized Bananas with Rum Sauce

Big Easy Shrimp (serves 4-6)
5 sticks butter, melted
1 1/2 T black pepper
5 t minced garlic
1 t cayenne pepper (or to taste)
3 cups Worcestershire sauce
1 lb fresh peeled 16-20 count shrimp, butterflied

Combine all ingredients except shrimp. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Add shrimp. Broil on high 4 minutes. Stir. Broil another 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.

Jambalaya (serves 10)

1 stick butter
2 yellow onions, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped with seeds
1 T Creole seasoning
1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
1/2 t dried thyme
1 lb andouille sausage, or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 pound chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 14.5-oz cans chicken broth
1 16-oz can plum tomatoes, diced, with liquid
3 cups long-grain rice

Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and herbs/spices. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, to bring to a steady simmer. Cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.

Caramelized Banana with Rum Sauce (serves 2)

4 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 bananas, halved lengthwise then crosswise
4 t packed brown sugar
4 T dark rum
4 t water
dash nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
dash cinnamon
4 T chopped pecans, toasted
Vanilla ice cream

Melt butter in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute bananas, cut sides down, shaking skillet, 1-2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle brown sugar around banana, then pour rum around banana. Return skillet to heat and continue to saute, shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar begins to melt, about 30 seconds to a minute.

Add water and spices, and a pinch of salt. Cook over moderate heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Serve warm over vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.

Menu #2 (Spanish):
**serve with a crusty European bread

Gazpacho (wine: Sauvignon Blanc)
Green Salad
Seafood Paella (wine: unoaked Chardonnay or a Sauvignon Blanc)
Fine chocolates

Gazpacho (serves 4)

2 slices day-old baguette (you can also dry them out in the oven if you don't have any day-old bread)
3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 T chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 c tomato juice
3 T red wine vinegar
1 t paprika
1/2 t salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
hot red pepper sauce, to taste (optional)

Garnish: garlic croutons, chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped cucumber and red onion

Soak bread in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Place vegetables, parsley, and garlic in food processor. Pulse several times to break up chunks. Add bread, tomato juice, vinegar, paprika, and salt. Process 5 more second, or longer for a thinner soup. Add pepper and hot pepper sauce (if desired) to taste and stir well. Chill until ready to serve. Serve in chilled bowls, topped with garnishes.

Seafood Paella (serves 8)

Broth:
3 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon saffron threads
2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice

Herb Blend:
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 large garlic cloves, minced

Paella:
1 pound monkfish or other firm white fish fillets
16 unpeeled jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
1 cup frozen green peas
16 littleneck clams
1 (7-ounce) jar sliced pimento, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

To prepare broth, combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.

To prepare herb blend, combine parsley and next 4 ingredients (parsley through 2 garlic cloves); set aside.

To prepare paella, trim connective tissue from monkfish; cut into 1-inch pieces. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large paella pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and shrimp; saute 1 minute (the seafood mixture will not be cooked through).

Remove seafood mixture from pan, and keep warm. Add onion and bell pepper to pan, and saute 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paprika, crushed red pepper, and 3 garlic cloves; cook 5 minutes. Add rice, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, herb blend, and peas. Bring to a low boil, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add clams to pan, nestling them into rice mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells. Stir in the seafood mixture, and arrange shrimp, heads down, in rice mixture. Arrange pimento slices spokelike on top of rice mixture; cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Remove from heat; cover with a towel and let stand 10 minutes.

That's it! I figure you can handle a green salad, and picking up some fine chocolates, on your own. ;)

Hope this helps.

Bon appetit, et bonne chance!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
Arg! edit time limit!

The paella recipe serves eight. :)

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »
*facepalm*

I was going to add shrimp to my jambalaya recipe just for you...erm, her... and I forgot. And I can't edit, so...

anyway you can throw in 1 lb. jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined) with the veggies at the beginning, then remove them from the pan when they're nearly done and cook the rest of the stuff per the recipe. Then throw the shrimp back in during the last few minutes just to heat them through/finish them, and incorporate.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
Merci beaucoup, Muse!  Je te ferai savoir comment il disparait!  Et qu'est-ce que je ferai cuire.  :)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »
Please do! :D

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »
Animus, still waiting to hear how your culinary adventure turned out! :)

Here is a new one; pretty easy, and great for those nights when you're coming from a really hardcore training session and need something substantial. Ladies, this is also an excellent iron delivery system for when you're low.

It's especially effective if you serve it with sauteed spinach. Did you know that you absorb more iron from iron-rich foods eaten in combination with one another than you would if eaten separately? It's true! (At least I think it is... I read it somewhere... I could be wrong).

In any case, iron is good for you. :) I find this is a great pick-me-up when my iron is low, and/or after a particularly strenuous workout.

Bon appetit!

Pepper Steak

2 4-6 oz. filets mignons
Black peppercorns to taste
Garlic powder
Canola or vegetable oil
3 T red cooking wine
1/4 cup beef broth
1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 T apple cider vinegar
Dash balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sour cream
Pat of butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Crack peppercorns coarsely in a peppermill over a pie plate (or crack in a ziploc baggie using a mallet or rolling pin, and transfer to pie plate). Sprinkle pie plate with garlic powder to taste. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, press steaks into peppercorn-garlic mixture, coating both sides. Mix broth, Worcestershire, and vinegars in a bowl and whisk briefly to incorporate.

Sear steaks in hot skillet for 2-3 minutes per side. Be sure to let them sit undisturbed in the hot oil so they caramelize/brown evenly. Transfer steaks to a baking pan or broiler pan and put in preheated oven. Cook in oven for 5-6 minutes (rare) or 8-10 minutes (medium rare); or to desired doneness. When steaks are done, transfer to a warm plate to rest and tent loosely with foil.

While steaks are in oven, pour broth/vinegar mixture into skillet and deglaze pan over medium-high heat. Reduce to 1/2, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and add sour cream, stirring briskly to incorporate. Mount sauce with butter, and pour over finished steaks.

Serve with steamed mixed vegetables and sauteed spinach leaves.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2007, 02:38:39 AM »
LoL...  I'm sorry, Muse, but I've still been trying to find a time when I can cook for this girl!  I was supposed to do it tonight, but I ended up really sick and had to cancel.  She's been over a lot, but it tends to be very late (or after a training session) and I'm too lazy to cook or it's not an appropriate hour.  Soon, though.  Some time next week when I'm feeling better.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »
No worries, Animus. It will happen when it happens. I just want a full report when it does.

...about the food, I mean; I'm not about to go digging into your personal life. ;)

Here is my recipe for Thanksgiving stuffing. It's more "dressing" since I don't actually stuff it into the turkey (I'm scared of germs and I also don't like it soggy). Instead I bake it separately in a casserole.

I have been told that this is the best part of my Thanksgiving dinner. I don't have a "recipe" per se because I learned how to do Thanksgiving just by helping my mom in the kitchen since I was 5. So nothing is written down, it's just a series of steps and senses to the final product.

Preheat oven to 425 F.
1. Soak one 16-oz pk walnut halves/pieces in 16 oz of chicken broth. Set aside.
2. Brown 1-2 pkgs Jimmy Dean sage sausage in a heavy, deep skillet. Drain and set aside.
3. Saute sliced baby bella/crimini mushrooms in sausage drippings. Add 1-2 tablespoons butter as needed to keep moist. Saute until just golden but still not giving off much liquid. Add ground dried sage and thyme to taste and saute just until fragrant. Put shrooms in a bowl and set aside.
4. Melt 1 stick of butter in same skillet. When butter is bubbling and beginning to brown, add 1 large yellow onion, chopped; and 1 bunch celery, washed and chopped. Saute until just beginning to soften.
5. While vegetables are cooking, pour 1 pkg sage and onion flavored bread cubes (I prefer Brownberry brand) into a huge bowl. Pour mushrooms and their resulting juice, and drained sausage, into bread cubes. Mix well.
6. When celery and onions are ready, add these to bread cubes. Mix to incorporate.
7. Pour walnuts and broth into mixture and mix well.
8. Add 1-2 handfuls of orange-flavored Craisins and mix.
9. Pour all into a large casserole or lasagne pan and put in oven. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 30 minutes more or until heated through. For crisper bread crumbs (which I prefer), dot top with butter before baking, and bake for longer (until bread is to the consistency you like).

Bon appetit!

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline BloodHawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2007, 08:33:29 AM »
a cooking thread...hmm...i'll have to think of some recipes to post...
quiet people have something to hide...

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2007, 09:55:27 PM »
Muse, we had dinner a couple weeks ago.  :)  I ended up cooking that pasta dish I talked about, as well as your "big easy shrimp," which was quite tasty!  She thought it was too spicy (just a little), but I ended up throwing in a bunch more peppers into my portion, so.. :D  It was a good time and was fun.  Thanks a bunch for the recipes.  I'll try your other ones out, too, cause a few of them look really good.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2007, 05:18:01 PM »
Yay! Glad you liked it! :D Thanks for the update.

...and good luck with... *ahem* future dining experiences. ;)

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
She's become like a sister to me, but there's another I have my eye on that I wouldn't mind cooking for, either, so thanks for the well wishes.  ;)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
"cooking for" is that what the kids are calling it these days  ;)
I like to cook sometimes.  I'll try to write down a recipe or two.  My best stuff is generally not real good for you though.  :)  A BUNCH of the posted recipes sound really good.  I'll have to try some out!

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 06:43:51 AM »
Not good for you, but tasty!

Mexican Cheese Soup

1 to 1 1/2 lbs. hamburger ( browned and drained )
2 cans Campbell’s Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup
2 cans Chicken Broth
1 can Diced Tomatoes ( I usually use tomatoes with chilies ) whole can, don’t drain the juice
2 soup cans of Water
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced ( I use about 2/3 of the pepper )
1 16oz. jar of Pace Picante Sauce ( I use medium )
1 box Spanish Rice
Occasionally I add something else that sounds good at the time and so far it has worked out fine.

Mix everything into a slow cooker.
Cook 6 - 8 hrs on Low ( works best this way )
OR about 4 hrs on High ( this tends to make part of the rice stick to the bottom and sides and burns to a gooey crust, the soup tastes fine but cleaning the pot sucks)
I start the hamburger first and do the chopping and mixing everything while it cooks.  By the time the hamburger is ready it’s usually the last ingredient, about 15 minutes.

I like to crumble a few Tortilla Chips over a bowl full.

The next day it will be thicker.  It works well as a dip or add water and it’s soup again.

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »
steak and eggs

-  4-5 eggs
-  steak(fila mignon or center cut) ;D

scramble eggs put eggs on plate .grill/broil/heat-up(left over) steak. put steak ontop of eggs and drown in steak sauce(A-1) ;D ;D 8)
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
Okay, I've got another mission to cook for another girl...  I'm running a few ideas in my head..  I'll let you guys know what I come up with.  I need to do it within the next week so I'll post up at the latest in two weeks.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
Please do!

Is this for a "girl who is like a sister," or is this more like a date?

;)

Let me know if you need any ideas for recipes (and also let me know if my above question is, frankly, none of my business.)

:D

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline BloodHawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2008, 07:54:21 AM »
Muse, I was reading your Poulet Provencal recipe on page 2 and i have a question, what is Herbes de Provence and where can i get it?
quiet people have something to hide...