Author Topic: Clod hoppers  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Diddy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Clod hoppers
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:19:10 PM »
Hello, I just moved this from the pk/free-run thread, sry mod! :o
 I'm brand new to apk and well I've been trying to find the most proficient shoe out there.
Now I've always been loyal to my chucks, since 5th grade but I recently got some b-ball rbks to practice parkour and they're really good.
Thats no the problem. The other day I showed my physics teacher some parkour on you tube and we got into the discussion about sneaker.

The question I purposed was: "What is the perfect parkour shoe?"
After probing with questions about terrain, etc. he came to the conclusion that "A good parkour shoe would have; thick shock absorbing souls, thin foot covering, wide surface area, and a somewhat narrowed toe."

What is your take on this, what do you wear?
Are there any particular brands that pkers don. Huh

-peace

Offline Rob51

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Clod hoppers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:08:26 AM »
Your teacher has the right idea,as far as strategy goes those would be ideal shoes, however one must think of comfort, that is the most important attribute, grip would be next in line, a flat wide surface, and definately a thin foot covering b/c you will need to let your feet breath....ideally this sport would be best served bare footed, but since most people do not have the callusces for that make sure you are comfortable...think about it....in the middle of a big jump, do you really want ANYof your focus taken away by uncomfortable footwear, this sport is about concentration and relaxing your mind while performing precise movements....As is with most things, including shoes, it's allabout what's best for you so toanswer yourquestions, there cannot be a "Parkour Shoe"...I suppose some greedy bastard could market oneand people would by it but it's false advertising, and I for one agree with the naturalists when it comes to Parkour, nothing could comes out of commercializing any sport, it takes away from the proffesionalism, everyone thinks they can do it with little effort or training, and the more you market things like "Parkour for Dummies" and "Parkour Shoes", the more is taken away from it's true being...Unless you're doing it for yourself and you alone, don't do it at all....Find what works best for you and forget what anyone else has to say about it, you know better than anyone what shoes will suit you best, just think about what you want and need...

~PEACE OUT~

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »
Thick shock absorbing soles are not ideal for most traceurs. There have been assloads of threads about shoes. http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=3886.0 -this thread is just one of them, and I'll direct you to my first post in the thread as it addresses the issue of thickness of soles.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Diddy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Well I just heard about a type of shoe called "trail runners". Have you heard of them? If so do you own a pair, If yes please compare.

thnx.

Offline Maiak

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:45 AM »
I can only moderately help you there. I do own trail runners, and I'm fairly sure (based on what I've been reading) that I'll be using them for parkour. But I haven't started yet. So here's what I can tell you...

They're light. Very light.

The soles are thin so you can feel the ground more than with a normal shoe. The treads on mine grip both directions (made by Salomon).

The upper part is mostly mesh, so they're very breezy and nice for hot feet. It did rip at the base of my big toe, but the tear hasn't gotten much bigger in probably 4 months. I wear pretty much one pair of shoes all over and beat the crud out of them.

They quick-tie, with a slide instead of real laces.

So my guess is trail runners would work nicely for parkour, but you tell me. You have the experience.