Author Topic: Are grains bad for you? Considering Paleolithic Diet.  (Read 3384 times)

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Are grains bad for you? Considering Paleolithic Diet.
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
After doing research I have discovered that milk is basically awful for you. I have heard that grains are not that wonderful for you either but have found no legitimate research to prove that grains are bad for you, any suggested websites?

Also I am considering the paleolithic diet but only if I find that grains are not beneficial to my health.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Are grains bad for you? Considering Paleolithic Diet.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
What have you read about milk being bad? Can you link it? So far all I've heard is that it's hard for people to digest (true, but not a health concern for most people), that it might cause acne, and something about hormones that I've seen no evidence for, but would love to if it exists. I drink half a gallon of milk a day casually haha. It doesn't cause me any problems but I'm one person and only 20 so that doesn't mean a single thing to anyone else.

I dunno about grains. They're not ideal because they're mostly simple sugars without too many nutrients but I also haven't seen evidence of them being harmful. If I were you I'd be very skeptical of everything you read on the topic. There's a ton of scaremongering in the industry.

Paleo is pretty solid. It depends on what your dietary goals are, just like everything else. It isn't a cure all like some people would have you believe.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:05 AM »
Here are the two more trustworthy sites.

Here are the things I found about grains and I can't seem to find anything bad about them.

I love my grains so could one do the Paleo diet and still consume grains?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »
Oh man that's pretty convincing. Those milk articles basically just told me I'm giving myself prostate cancer, which sucks. I'll see if I can find any research on the other side of things right after I finish this giant glass of chocolate milk..

The grain story is much less sinister. Basically all those articles say is whole grain trumps refined. You can follow all the other principles of paleo and still consume grains. If it doesn't work out then make adjustments. That's the cool thing about diet.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty much done with milk, unless new research proves it all wrong,I'm convinced that milk isn't the best thing out there for you.

Anyways, great I'm goinf to try to start the paleo diet.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »
I was able to find this about the paleo diet. Hopefully the link works http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

Basically the diet itself is pretty solid, but they make a lot of illogical claims that aren't supported, including their hate on grains.

Still looking into milk. Found an abstract from a pretty recent study, sounds like another meta analysis, that determines that calcium intake is important for bone health http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032348

It's worth mentioning that milk does have a good amount of nutrients and a nice balance of carb, fat, and protein. It's definitely not all bad. My main concern right now is the prostate cancer, but I need to do way more research.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
People have been eating and being healthy for milleniums, without science. Milk, grains and just about everything, except fast-food and other junks. I don't see a reason why you should stop drinking milk, based on something read on the internet. People have been drinking this for enough time, that they would notice if something was wrong with it. And about grains. How could you know if some paleolithic man hasn't been hungry and the only food available was some grains. He could've eaten them and what? Your whole diet goes to hell. ;) And why would you exclude salt from your food. Yes in larger quantity it damages your body, but I see no reason not to eat it at all. Here I should say that I eat a LOT of salt :D

As it's a weight-loss diet I could understand why you would want to stop drinkinh milk for a while, but I see nothing wrong with grains and salt for weight-loss.

If anyone cares to explain these thing to me I will be really gratefull.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
The effects of diet are generally long term, not short term. You could be eating something that slowly causes problems without ever realizing it. Like your high salt consumption could definitely cause health problems later on. The fact that it doesn't now means very little. We also know very little of what people used to actually eat, which was mentioned in the link I posted.

Discrediting something just because you read it on the internet is just as bad as believing it just because it's on the internet. It's where the information originally comes from and if it has been accurately represented. For instance if you read an article on yahoo or something like "don't drink milk it causes prostate cancer" without any sources you can laugh it off. When you read an article from a scientific journal which references multiple studies you have to take what it says seriously. That's when you examine the studies, try to understand the methodology, and look for any glaring flaws like lack of a control group, exaggerated results, and logical errors. You also look for other studies either supporting or discrediting the notion. If you're lucky you find a meta review that sums up all the available research. Then you come to a conclusion.

People also do things that are bad for them all the time. Saying that people do something frequently again proves nothing aside from that it won't immediately kill you.

In any case it's not about not consuming these things at all, it's about not over consuming them. Paleo tells you to not eat them at all, but it's not like not following it to the T invalidates all the other good eating choices you're making.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
So here is a link, again from Harvard. What Should I Eat? > Calcium and Milk

While calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer, high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.

So if you keep your milk into some moderation it isn't supposed to kill you.
And including that:
Plus, dairy products can be high in saturated fat as well as retinol (vitamin A), which at high levels can paradoxically weaken bones.
I think that if you are just more careful when buying diaries and don't drink like... a litre of milk every day, you should be ok.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
But the one fact remains is that Humans are the only creature on this Earth that continue to drink milk after infancy.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
The only creature to think, use tools and speak....
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
But the one fact remains is that Humans are the only creature on this Earth that continue to drink milk after infancy.

Yeah man we're the only creatures who do a lot of things both related and unrelated to diet. That's not a good argument at all against doing something. I'm not disagreeing and saying that your point is wrong, but that doesn't mean anything.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
thats what i thought after i posted :P

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
It's usually the first argument you hear when people are advocating against drinking milk, so it probably just stuck with you.

Offline Caleb The Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
The only reason I would say milk is bad for you is because of what dick said some people just can't process it correctly in their body or because it's designed for that animal...  But Grains i'm not to sure about though I would say not but you never know.
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »
Just trowing that one in  ;D ;D
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »
haha