Author Topic: Can't see anything when flipping  (Read 598 times)

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Can't see anything when flipping
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
Ok so I know that with flips you are supposed to spot your landing so you know when to untuck. The probkem is though, is that no matter the flip, I can't see anything. I know my eyes are open cause I've slowed down a a video of me back flipping and my eyes are open just fine, but I just can't see anything. Same with my side flip. I usually just untuck when I think is right. Just by feel I guess. Any tips?
Fear is just another obstacle.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Can't see anything when flipping
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
How long have you been flipping for? It took me months to be able to see things while flipping and even still it's mostly just a blur. Like you don't really see individual clouds, trees in the background, the guy looking at you like you're crazy, individual sidewalk panels, and land. It's more of "sky, ground, land".

Now front flips are pretty much blind because your legs block most of your vision. Back flips feel less blind to me but you're still pretty much going based on feel. Side flips you can totally see if you get enough height. Try filming yourself and see where you look during the side flip. If you see yourself looking for the ground then you know you're trying and probably seeing the ground coming, but you just aren't able to make out the specific features.

The more advanced you get the more you just get a feel for things. Even if I can't see well or close my eyes I can feel when I'm going to land a flip and when I'm going to bail it. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBelLNWBZrs

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Can't see anything when flipping
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »
I've been flipping for about 7 months. When I do my backs I can like see colors but nothing that is really defined at all. It's all a blur. Like I said, I do it all by feel. I usually can tell how high I am and how fast im rotating.
Fear is just another obstacle.