Author Topic: Help on motivation  (Read 2022 times)

Offline CthulhuKid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Help on motivation
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:40 AM »
Hiya,

I'm 33 and have really never been what one would consider "fit."  I've only recently gotten into parkour and have really enjoyed the last month or so of my life because of it.  I feel better, I'm much more active, and I get to use the work parkour in everyday speech (let's face it, it's a fun word).

I also have a 3-year-old, a wife, an 8-hour job, a commute that's about an hour one way and a house to keep.  Typical full day stuff. 

How does one keep yourself motivated to work out and still manage to handle all those other things without 1) burning out or 2) neglecting something you shouldn't?  I have other hobbies I love that I don't want to put too far on the back burner, I don't want my wife killing me for not cleaning the house, and I don't want my daughter forgetting what I look like because I'm out for a jog every afternoon.

How do you guys/gals do it?

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: Help on motivation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »
Im sorry I have no personal expierence with this type of situation, but here is my opinion.
I wouldnt take a specific time out of your life just for parkour, just intregrate it into daily life, (i.e. see a bench, proceed to vault over bench, see a wall, run up wall)

As for burning out, try to get 7-8 hour of sleep. (for me, since i'm younger i go to sleep at 8:30 and wake up at 5:00 and so get 9 hours of rest)
With motivation I suggest getting a partner to perform parkour with you, maybe you could meet once or twice a week.
set goals, like this:"by the end of this week I will be able do a kong vault."

Maybe later on you could teach your child parkour. You can use that as motivation as well.

As for me.
I just do parkour whenever. I see something that i can do and I try to do it.
I also try to do workouts everyday and while typing this i realize i need to update my training journal.

Hope this helps, I just kind of typed things I thought made sense.

$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Motivation is different for everyone.   Mine is to progress my self further into the art form and prove that determination and discipline is what makes me better not youth.    That being said my situation is very close to yours.   I work 50+ hours a week, married, practice Capoeira, and have a ton of hobbies.    I take 2 hours every Sunday and practice my butt off.   If I know I can not stop for long and just driving home from work, I will stop at a playground or office area and play on the walls or rails.   Just make sure you are having fun, even if its only for 2mins or 2 hours, once you are not having fun you will not be so inclined to practice....   
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15

Offline CthulhuKid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:55 AM »
Thanks guys.

I was thinking of posting a training journal, but know it would be updated so infrequently it would be more work than it'd be worth.  Right now I'm going for walks/jogs during breaks at work (like I said, I'm coming from being completely out of shape), and getting maybe 10-15 minutes every other night after I put the wee one to bed to do some more hard core conditioning.  After a month I'm still a guy in the back of class hunched over afraid I'll throw up during warmups, but I'm still trying.  If it wasn't for how nice everyone is at the local community here, I wouldn't be doing any of this at all.

And yes, if I could get my daughter into this when she's older, I'd be a proud poppa.  As for now, all I can get her to do is stretch like a ballerina and scream "Parkour!" like Harry Dresden.  I still call that a win. :)

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
I should also mention that I train solo as the community around me is not so big.... the closest groups are at least an hour and a half away from me.    Also I am proud of you and anyone that takes the steps to better their life, be it through parkour or just general fitness.  You are now part of my motivation!
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15