Author Topic: Quick basic introductions to people who are new to parkour  (Read 2604 times)

Offline The Barefoot Panther

• Patas
  • what is this, 'personal text'?
    • View Profile
Quick basic introductions to people who are new to parkour
« on: September 28, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
Ok, so I've been having a situation that keeps repeating itself lately.

Basically, I'll be out on a playground (my favorite places to train), usually playing tag, and someone will try chasing me, only to realize that they can't jump over that 5' high wall that I just effortlessly sailed over. Or they may simply see me training, etc. Point is, they'll usually be fairly impressed, (often thinking that I'm in the military, because I where BDU's) and want to know 'how did you do that?'

At first, I was thrilled to get questions like this. I tell them that I practice a discipline called parkour, that involves fluid and efficient movements through varied terrain (please don't start an argument on the definition of parkour; that's just how I explain it, I know it isn't the 'official' definition or anything).

Problem is, I'm not very charismatic, and I don't know if it's the way I say it, or just that I'm explaining it badly, but nobody really seems interested. Sure, they're still impressed, they think I'm awesome, yadda yadda, but they have no interest in learning themselves, or asking me more.

On the plus side, I rarely see young kids trying to do the same as me, being unsafe and injuring themselves. They're smarter than they're parents give them credit for, and they seem to know when something is beyond their level.

What I'm asking is if anyone has any tips on explaining parkour in a short but thorough manner, stressing the importance of safety, the need to 'fall before you fly', and in a way that might seem a bit more interesting then my deadpan explanation about efficiency.
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Caleb The Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: Quick basic introductions to people who are new to parkour
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:07:17 AM »
Parkour is moving from point a to b as fast and safe as possible.
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline Lupus Potens

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
Somebody I train with says it's just movement, and people get it, kinda

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
Panther's explanation is good. Though, I would say "Parkour is a discipline that consists of improving yourself, both physically and mentally, so you can overcome various obstacles in efficient or creative way" And then probably add* "I also can do a backflip" ;D

No offense, but I think the "point A to B" explanation is very limited, uninformative, and IMO bullshit.

*Only appliable if you actually can do a backflip.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:36:15 PM by Alvendam »
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
Excuse me he said as short as possible so I gave my explanation in the shortest way possible and believe me there is more to parkour than that so please don't act like that on the forums it makes you look childish and immature when you have to call some one out on their opinion have a nice day.
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Excuse me he said as short as possible so I gave my explanation in the shortest way possible and believe me there is more to parkour than that so please don't act like that on the forums it makes you look childish and immature when you have to call some one out on their opinion have a nice day.
Calm down.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:54:33 AM »
My bad I just dislike when people say my words are bullshit I get infuriated quite quickly my bad.  :P
Caleb At Your Service.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
There's not really a definitive definition that can explain parkour to its full extent perhaps instead of saying what it is try saying how it makes you feel  :P
Caleb At Your Service.