Author Topic: The app that will help Parkour  (Read 6739 times)

Offline NinjaViolinist587

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Only Get Better. Never Stop Improving
    • View Profile
The app that will help Parkour
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool to have an app that would notify traceurs where other traceurs in the area were training. Not only would this allow small meetups with traceurs but non-traceurs or beginners on the app could follow the notification too and learn from the experienced. This app would be a great way to bring the parkour community together and also allow people that haven't experienced parkour yet to get their dose of it.

The things that I would love this app to have is:
1.National searching (for searching traceurs by region to state to city)
2.Social Media or Message Board
3.Friends (for private messaging buddies)

Idividual components of each:
-National searching: being able to search by region, then by state, and finally by city. Icons will show up on a map on people training in certain areas with addresses included. If a person clicks on this icon it will take the person to a map and make where the person is training, the destination for whoever is searching.
-Social Media or Message Board: This will be for traceurs to talk to other practitioners of the sport. Whether it's discussing tomorrows meetup, showing the fun you had at today's training, or organizing a jam, the social media component will be fun for all.
-Friends: If you wish to train with a couple of friends instead of random people or just talk to fellow traceurs that you know, then the friends component will help with that. Private message friends that you can add clicking the "add friend" icon and also tell them about your next meet up. Friends that have their phone numbers available and that are online have the opportunity to be tracked by their other friends. With the click of the "track" button, the app will use the phone number of your friend to track the phone's exact location (which will most likely be on the friend). Tracking can be turned off in the options page if it is your preferred setting.

I hope this app will soon become the best it can be. I have no experience in app developing or coding but I'm sure that there are people out there that can help or point me in the right direction. If you wish to help, you can contact me on gmail (justintorres587@gmail.com) or facebook (https://www.facebook.com/justin.torres.5686). Thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:32:16 PM by NinjaViolinist587 »

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: The app that will help Parkour
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Woohoo. I just started a computer applications class. If I learn anything in the class that could help I will make sure to contact you.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline The Barefoot Panther

• Patas
  • what is this, 'personal text'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
This doesn't sound half bad. If it becomes a reality, it might even give me a reason to get a smart phone. I would make the suggestion of making it available for Android as well as IOS though.
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »
Yes I would like for it to be available for Windows, IOS, and android stores (I have windows phone)

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »
If you can come up with an official design I can lend a hand in development.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
I'm drawing out designs as we speak  :) I will show you the pictures when I finish

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Wow. NV587, I remember a few months ago how your idea started out as whistle, or audible sound of some kind. A few months later and after dozens of suggestions and tweaks, we may have a possible new mobile app in the making.

I admit this will of course take a lot of logistical stuff to fully come to fruition. There's the software, programming, coding, designing, etc. And then there's the question if there would even be a buyer's market for an app like this.

I barely know squat about information technology or electronic marketing, but seeing that this is one of your own actual possible goals, I at least wish you the best in pursuing this. I shouldn't be surprised if this app is completed before the end of this decade. Or if not, maybe we'll see it sometime in the 2020s.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:08:05 PM »
Hey man, It is crazy how much and fast this idea evolved. Thank you for the inspirational words and I will use your post as motivation. Thank you again  :)

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
I still love the idea but out of curiosity how much would it cost?
*insert witty comment*

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »
It'd probably cost alot ;D. Hiring people to help, getting a good software, and maybe even advertising will contribute to the cost. This will most likely be a long term project where I'll have to accumulate money over time. I will do everything I can to get the money though, even if I have to street perform.  ;D

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
Hate to say it but I think someone beat you to it!
http://beta.glyphbase.com/?r=https://www.facebook.com/
*insert witty comment*

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »
As you have plans to include messages and registration, I assume you'll have a server running for this anyway. So my idea is for allowing people to add spots on a map. With photos from the spot, address, write details about it and point it on map.

Also support for user-made skins for the app. There is a high probability that many people would want to make it look their way.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:11:19 AM by Alvendam »
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Glyphbase-Chris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Glyphbase
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
I wouldn't say that we beat him to it.  We've still got a ways to go before we're ready for a final release, but we do have a working (web-based) prototype and are moving toward a limited public beta in the coming months.

That said, we're by no means the only ones working on something like this.  PK Live, PK Spotter, and Cleverspot are already available in the app store (though Cleverspot is more for skaters).  They're worth a look, if for no other reason than to see what works/what doesn't.  There may be others out there.  I found those as I was doing market research for Glyphbase.  All have strengths/weaknesses, so it's hard to say whether any of them would offer exactly what you're looking for.

I think the core features you mention above are spot on, and I would encourage you to keep working on your app.  No one should ever be deterred in pursuing an idea just because someone else is already tackling the problem.  PK Live, PK Spotter, and Cleverspot all take on the problem in different ways, and Glyphbase is going to offer yet another approach.  I think the community as a whole benefits from lots of people trying different things to see what works.

Check out those other apps and let me know what you think, and good luck as you pursue your own solution!
Twitter: @glyphbase
Facebook: www.facebook.com/glyphbase

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »
Hate to say it but I think someone beat you to it!
http://beta.glyphbase.com/?r=https://www.facebook.com/

There's no saying an app with similar goals cannot be developed. Shoot, if other developers had that mindset we would still be using Netscape.

Offline Glyphbase-Chris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Glyphbase
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Russell!

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »
True, true.
*insert witty comment*

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
The more stuff the better. I don't like Spotter. I don't like it's UI, I don't like their market model. I woudn't use an app that has LITE and full version. I find it FAR less irritating when there are ads and you can pay to remove them.
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Glyphbase-Chris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Glyphbase
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
Alvendam - Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I'd be interested to learn what particular aspects of Spotter's UI you don't like?  What works, what doesn't?  If you could change something about it to make the experience 10 times better, what would it be?

The business model question is a tricky one.  We live in a world where most apps are free, making money through ads or in-app purchases.  The truth is, unless you've got a large install base, ads don't bring in a lot of money.  The parkour/freerunning community is growing, but it's still a relatively small market, and probably not large enough to support an app's development/maintenance through ads alone. 

The alternative option is to charge the for the app itself.  Most tools/apps that serve niche markets command premium prices (e.g. - photo/video editing software), but that won't work in the parkour/freerunning community.  In some ways, PK Spotter commands a "premium" price.  In a world where most apps are free or, at worst, $0.99, an app that costs $1.99 is asking a premium price.  But even at that price point, it would be difficult to cover development and support costs for a professional app.  If, for arguments sake, we assume the pk/freerunning community is 100,000 strong. Further, let's assume PK Spotter or any similar app can capture 100% of that market charing $1.99 for their app.  At best you stand to earn $199,000 dollars.  App development costs can run upwards of $50 - 125,000 and you can easily spend thousands more each month for hosting services.  In the end, it can be very difficult to make the numbers work if you want to develop and maintain a professional app for the parkour/freerunning community.  Hopefully we can crack the code, but I certainly sympathize with the folks behind PK Spotter and PK Live.  It's not easy to develop a good business case for a pk/freerunning app, particularly one that will allow you to support the app long term.

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »
I'd be interested to learn what particular aspects of Spotter's UI you don't like?  What works, what doesn't?  If you could change something about it to make the experience 10 times better, what would it be?
The whole thing is ugly. The fonts are poorly chosen. You have some fancy (barely readable at moments) font for different titles and just some normal font for everything else. Also it's white font on dark background. It could at least be some bright grey, so it doesn't hurt people's eyes. Also look at the "CHECK IN" and "CLOSE" buttons. Blue doesn't fit in that colour scheme at all. You can also see blue coming out the corners of the buttons.  I'm now using the app on pc and it looks even worse. For some reason (most likely not a bug) the text under "Techniques" alignes to the left. Also the videos button looks out of place and is badly cropped. They could put a video camera and it would look way better. The bottom button row could be hideable with a little arrow, that you click to show it. There also could be a setting for which direction you want the arrow facing. Also the background and the top and bottom row, just doesn't match. That's all for now. You can ask me if you have any questions.

"Marketing part of the post"

OK, point taken. PK spotter's model is better in this case :)
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
I wouldn't say that we beat him to it.  We've still got a ways to go before we're ready for a final release, but we do have a working (web-based) prototype and are moving toward a limited public beta in the coming months.

That said, we're by no means the only ones working on something like this.  PK Live, PK Spotter, and Cleverspot are already available in the app store (though Cleverspot is more for skaters).  They're worth a look, if for no other reason than to see what works/what doesn't.  There may be others out there.  I found those as I was doing market research for Glyphbase.  All have strengths/weaknesses, so it's hard to say whether any of them would offer exactly what you're looking for.

I think the core features you mention above are spot on, and I would encourage you to keep working on your app.  No one should ever be deterred in pursuing an idea just because someone else is already tackling the problem.  PK Live, PK Spotter, and Cleverspot all take on the problem in different ways, and Glyphbase is going to offer yet another approach.  I think the community as a whole benefits from lots of people trying different things to see what works.

Check out those other apps and let me know what you think, and good luck as you pursue your own solution!
  Hey I've been looking at what you guys have been saying and I think that it's great that other people notice the issue and are trying to help. I've seen the PKSpotter and PK Live apps before and based my design off of both of their features. If your app design is quite similar to mine, it would be great for you to help out the community and design your own app. Trust me this is still a LLLOOONNGG term project. I've gotten basic, non financial requirements for the app (designing & planning) done but money is still a necessity, so making your app in the meanwhile will surely help the community alot while I get finances straight :D