Author Topic: getting kicked out  (Read 1991 times)

Offline GeeksGoneBad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
getting kicked out
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Hey guys - got "kicked out" of the park today for doing Parkour - I live right in front of a public park and I've built a few things (vault, precisions, etc) and they basically told us we can't bring our own equipment to train on (all the while there's people on tennis courts, and personal soccer goals, etc all around) I tried to explain to them that our equipment isn't that dissimilar to other sports equipment and it's actually safer if we train on our stuff rather than jump on what's at the park - they were unmoved, basically a lack of understanding of our sport I suppose - but it's sooo frustrating - how do you guys deal with getting kicked out?

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: getting kicked out
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
I've only been asked to leave places where we were training with in situ architecture. I commend you for your passion for the sport! Keep rocking, don't let one incident deter you, maybe the spot-djinni will bless you if you explore! :)
PK4LIFE!

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
I've been kicked out a few times. There's rarely anything you can do.

It's always a bit annoying having to search for a new place, but it was never hard for me to find a replacement spot. Whenever I need to find a good spot I just spend some time walking/jogging about until I can find potential areas to practice. There is never one spot for me to practice on, I end up having multiple different training spots.

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
While I'm not the best at this I've decided to take it upon myself to learn the laws that could effect training (public disturbance and what not) that way I know what my legal limits are. This has only helped my once, but on the other hand I've only been threatened once. While most will say to be polite it doesn't always work. Use your best judgement though because like I said I'm not the best at giving advice....
*insert witty comment*

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:28:46 AM »
If it's a public park, you can do as you please as long as it doesn't cause a disturbance or harm anyone in anyway. So I'd say go back and if they come up to you again, maybe try to explain some of the movements. Some police are cool and will appreciate you showing how parkour can be safe and effective. Some are just jerks. But if you know the law, and explain to them that you have every right to be on public property, then you should be fine. Good luck man
Fear is just another obstacle.

Offline teamstellar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »
While at a public park vaulting repeatedly over a picnic table we had a mom that called the cops on us and got us kicked of. We did have a big group, but if people would just talk to us we could resolve problems so much easier. 

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
We need some sort of movement to teach people about PK/FR
*insert witty comment*

Offline Caleb The Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
Well that kind of takes the public out of public park perhaps you could just set up somewhere else near your house there's not much to do when you get kicked out. Sorry  :'(
Caleb At Your Service.

Offline TheFreshFreerunner

• Guenons
  • Currently Working On: Solid Ground Backflip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
I've been kicked out of numerous places uncountable times. i left and found a new spot. But since you were on public property i do understand their concerns. if you get hurt on public property they think you will sue them ect ect. i was told this.  nobody will sue if you accidentally fall and scrape yourself but.. its the rules lol and if we wanna be looked as positively and gain support we need to be respectful to others wishes no matter how stupid. i found a small 10 ft high and about 15ft long concrete bridge and i couldn't be happier there. best spots are hidden in plain sight. good luck buddy

Offline GeeksGoneBad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:42 AM »
Just to follow up on this - I contacted the supervisor of parks and recreation for the city and he forwarded me the statute they are going by and it "Prohibits organized or dangerous sports" in public parks, and they are considering Parkour a dangerous sport (no doubt because of the daredevils you see on YouTube if you search "Parkour") I tried to explain that we don't do that kind of stuff, and it's not dangerous, but they said a big "no" - so I started building stuff in my backyard :) got a 7' tower - 8' high bars and a 3' wall so far - where there's a will..... ;)

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 03:52:09 AM »
This is the best thing to do... When you have a backyard :-\
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »
maybe make a safe haven for traceurs in your backyard.   
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline GeeksGoneBad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »
I have invited several people already :)

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
thats so awesome +1 karma

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
Aghh... I have a big "forest" that's my parents' property. I say "forest" because it's not very dense. It's about 2 acres and there might be 15 trees in there. Maybe more, idk. The point is, it'd be really easy for me to build stuff to train on there and I've already planned some things out, but my parents aren't going to let me build anything. They didn't outright say it, but it's pretty obvious with how reluctant they seem to be to answer any questions I have about prices and how to use certain tools. What I realllyy want to do is take my spare bed (the whole thing) it's big enough to be put up against this double trunked tree and used for wall runs :D and then I was going to build some vault boxes and use the mattress for flips/fall/more dangerous training. I might try to get this project to be my Christmas present and make my parents buy some pallets and bars and help me build it >:)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:07:20 PM by C.Bourque »
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
that'd be cool