Author Topic: Gather step vs punch  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Gather step vs punch
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:22:23 PM »
Ok so I can do both punch fronts and punch sides rather well.  Today I watched a video that talked about doing a "gather step" rather than a punch.  The guy doing it seemed to get just as high as normal while getting more distance and supposedly being safer.  Any of y'all have any experience with this technique?  Can you actually get as high/higher with this or is this guy just awesome?  I really like how it seems like you can be running and just do it without have to stop all your momentum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZPlzf1FNwU
Fear is just another obstacle.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Gather step vs punch
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:37 AM »
For side flips I would absolutely recommend the gather step. It's not that hard to learn because your arm swing doesn't change at all and it's a lot easier on your knees and I personally flip much better with it than with a punch. It's more controlled and adaptable.

Gather step fronts are much harder to learn. You can definitely get a ton of height and when you nail the technique it's really low impact and you'll feel like you're floating. The downside is even after training it for a while it's easy to mess up. It's a move you have to really commit to every time. If you already know how to gather step for a kong with a good arm swing then learning the gather step front won't be too hard because it's very similar. If not you're going to want to drill the footing and maybe learn it with kongs first. Obviously the faster you run the easier it is to do and really focus on the arm swing and tuck well.

One thing that I've noticed is that it's really hard for me and others I've trained with to twist using the gather step. I try not to punch at all for normal fronts but if I'm going to throw front fulls or halves the arm swing messes with my ability to start the twist and things get weird. So keep your ability to punch front if you want to twist as it's probably a lot easier.

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:37:53 AM »
The problem with the side flip is that when I punch I flip to my right side, which is the opposite side of my cartwheel. When I think about doing the gather step, going to the left feels more comfortable. I'm just not sure I can get the height though since I'd be taking more off of one foot rather than both.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »
Ah now that's interesting. Personally I never learned to cartwheel so I've never had that problem. You'll have to take the time to drill the gather step on the proper side, then. Unless you want to learn to side flip the other way. If you already flip that way it should come pretty quickly because the foot position is similar to punching just the mechanics are different.

You can still take off both feet fairly evenly, just make sure you block a little into the split step. If you try to take off starting with both feet under you you can end up favoring the outside leg more and you'll jump more out than up. If you block slightly you'll take off with your weight pretty evenly between both feet.

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:50 AM »
Alright I guess I'll just have to play around with it a bit. I went to do a gather step front and like, if I throw and jump up as high as I can I feel like I'm not gonna be able to rotate at all. But if I don't think about jumping up high, I more of dive into the front flip, which looks like garbage since it's maybe a foot off the ground. Like I said, I guess it's just gonna take a lot of practice. I just wanna be able to be running and throw a front with good height and distance without having to stop my momentum.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
That's exactly what makes it so hard. You have to learn to flip without the use of your arms. It helps me to think about pulling my hips up rather than throwing my chest down. It's really, really weird to get both height and rotation out of the gather step but just keep practicing it and stay conscious of what you're doing. Make note of when you jump too low or rotate too slow and try to think of why and work on finding the happy medium. Once you get it right you'll realize why it's such a great technique.

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 04:22:59 AM »
The problem with the side flip is that when I punch I flip to my right side, which is the opposite side of my cartwheel. When I think about doing the gather step, going to the left feels more comfortable. I'm just not sure I can get the height though since I'd be taking more off of one foot rather than both.
I have the same exact situation as you. I too cartwheel to my left and side flip to my right but I managed to learn the gather step side flip and get it down. The problem that you probably have is that your right foot isn't as strong as your left and you just aren't comfortable with the thought of taking off with your right foot. What I did to get over this awkward feeling of the gather step was I slowly spread my feet out when i punched. So lets say I do my first warmup side flip by just doing the standard punch side. Then I would do the same thing just this time with my feet slightly spread out. Then I would spread them a little further and do a mini skip step. If you practice that all the time you will develop muscle-memory and strength and the gather/skip-step side will make you never want to punch again.
*Also use step ups once you can gather step side on the ground because it will really build up some muscle in that right leg if you do it constantly.
See, we have a gift actually  :P because this will make you ambidextrous like me. Which is badass.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »
Come to think of it teaching step up sides is probably a great way to teach anybody to split step..It pretty much forces one.