Author Topic: need to set up diet plan any tips and suggestions  (Read 1558 times)

Offline thekid240

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
need to set up diet plan any tips and suggestions
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
I finally convinced my parents to eat healthy now I need some tips and so on I know the basics (all I know is protein builds muscle, fat and carbs are good as long as they are natural, eat food as close to its natural form as possibly, and to avoid prossesed heavy foods.) so if you have any articles I could read please provide them.
Look at my training log to learn about me.

Offline thekid240

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: need to set up diet plan any tips and suggestions
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
Any more?

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
ummm...if it helps. Research the effects of milk on the human body. also stop drinking soda. Just 2 a day is considered poisonous by your body. Also take HFCS out of your diet.(<thats hard since like 50% of food in America has High Fructose Corn Syrup in your body.

Do you want more?
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline thekid240

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
Yes as much as your willing to give . And I took most of That bad HFCS out of the diet. Oh and do you know any carbohydrate choices without HFCS?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
It highly depends on your goals. What are you trying to accomplish with diet? Weight loss or gain? Just healthier living?

Just so you know fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs haha.

Offline thekid240

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
Sup dick long time no talk. And the goal is weight lost .

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
How's everything man? How's the progress towards your goals?

Alright so for weight loss the most important thing is how many calories you eat vs. how many you burn. If you have a caloric surplus you gain weight, and if you're working out with a high volume and intensity most of it will be muscle unless you're at a massive surplus. If you have a caloric deficit you lose weight. High protein diets and working out ensure that the vast majority of weight lost is fat. You can even build muscle while losing that fat at first, but that ability rapidly declines as you lose more fat.

So that's a complicated way of saying you need to eat less or do a little more cardio for your goals.

Now to figure out how much you need to eat you have a few options, most of them unfortunately involve counting calories for best results. Option one is to use an online calculator (google TDEE calculator) and get an estimate of how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. Eat like 300-500 calories below maintenance daily and you should be able to lose roughly a pound a week. The main problem here is these calculators are estimates so if you find you aren't losing weight or you're losing it too quickly adjust your calories to match. You have to pay attention and eat more or less depending on the results.
Now if you've been steady at the weight you're at now you can either just add a bit of cardio in or drop the calories down. This won't be as precise but you can definitely lose weight that way if you adjust the same as you would with counting calories. More guess work, probably slower progress, but less stressing over counting numbers.

Now there are other options like low carb/ketogenic diets, intermittent fasting, etc. But that main thing to understand about these diets is they're just very effective ways of limiting your caloric intake. If you overeat on keto you still put on weight, same with IF or anything else. Keto works for some people but not at all for others, just don't get caught up in the hype if you read about it. There's no magic here. Weight loss isn't easy, but it's very straightforward.

So even though weight loss can usually be boiled down to calories in/calories out, there are some confounding factors that you should be aware of. Probably the most important is nutrient density. Basically certain foods (like whole foods, veggies, meat) have way more nutritional value than others (poptarts, cereal, bread, etc.). You will be way more full from 400 calories of chicken than 400 calories of donuts. This is why eating healthier so often corresponds to weight loss without calorie counting. If you eat wholesome, healthy, nutritionally dense foods it can be damn hard to overeat. This means it's easier to eat less calories with very nutritional foods than it is with garbage food. That's why high protein and fat (read low carb) diets can work so well. They're very filling.

Now as far as how much you want to eat in terms of carbs, protein, and fats it's pretty variable from person to person. You want a good amount of protein on a cut to preserve muscle and because it will help keep you full. Aside from that you can find what balance of carbs and fats you like the best. Go for the healthy carbs and things like milk are fine for fat. Remember that it's eating too many calories, not eating carbs or fat, that cause weight gain. This is a huge, ridiculous myth that tons of people believe.

If you're keeping up your strength training and get protein you'll keep your muscle and cut fat. You can drop strength training to only twice a week if you find your current plan too grueling on a cut. I would add in a good amount of steady state cardio a few times a week. HIIT occasionally if you feel like it, but I talked a lot in another thread about how HIIT is less effective than people try to portray it as and more stressful than steady state. 

Feel free to ask away if I need to explain anything better. Hope this helps.