Author Topic: How to travel further with your kong (kong to precision)  (Read 3049 times)

Offline jod6437

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How to travel further with your kong (kong to precision)
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:50:06 AM »
Okay, so I can't do a kong to level precision at all, but if if i'm going back to the ground, I could reach about half a metre. I really want to do the kong to level precision. Also, would it help me with the diving kong?

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: How to travel further with your kong (kong to precision)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
A diving kong has a different technique to it than a soaring kong.

For a soaring Kong, it helps to make sure you get your hips up higher and pull your arms more to achieve distance. What can help you more is that you come at the obstacle with your shoulders down, already ready to go into the vault.

For a diving kong, while you still need to get your hips up higher, you will mainly need to focus on doing the vault before putting your hands down on the obstacle. What I mean by this, that once your hands touch the obstacle, your hips should already be above your shoulders.

Some moves that can help you train these techniques more would be a Kong up and a kong down. Just focus on doing a Kong vault up onto an obstacle without actually going all the way over it. The Kong down is just simply standing on top of an obstacle and doing your Kong vault off of it.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
Kong-precisions are beasty, mad props for wanting that tech. A high level of fitness is a prerequisite, I think, because you're launching yourself with your core unless you're just going really fast which is ... ah, you know ... one way. I use this set of ledges with dirt inbetween so I know if I got it but I won't hit my shins. I still haven't mastered it, though. Good luck, and rock on!

And diving kong and soaring kong are new ones. Dive kong and kong precision is what we used back in the day when we walked to school through the snow uphill both ways ;)
PK4LIFE!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
A few tips:

Practice your kash vaults. A kong to precision involves a similar motion because you need to learn to get your feet in front of you out of the kong. This involves pulling with your core to push your hips forward and also thinking about throwing the obstacle behind you which helps get your chest up. The motions are different but it can help you get something of a feel for it.

Make sure you get height out of the initial kong. To do this it's important to have a good gather step and seriously use your arm swing. As you drop into your gather step swing your arms a little bit behind you and then swing them forward explosively as you dive into the kong. Push hard off the obstacle so you're moving up as your hands come off of it. To ensure you make this happen it's also important to hit the obstacle at the beginning of your jump so you're not falling into the vault like you do in a long dive kong.

Once you start getting good height coming out of your kongs and you're able to get your feet in front of you start going for the precision out. You might need to work your way up to level. I'll be blunt, if you're not fairly proficient at kongs and pretty athletic this could take a while to get down. If you're barely getting distance off your kongs you're going to need to learn that by improving your speed, take off, technique, and maybe strength. But if you put in the work it's not an unreachable goal.

Oh, one drill I forgot is to just find a long object, even a picnic table, and kong up onto it and try to get as much distance as possible. Hit the front of the obstacle and try to land feet together in front of you like a precision. If you can do this then you know you're capable of the level kong-pre. Good luck!

Offline Mr.Curly Parkour

• Guenons
  • I'm de cooliyist in colorado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
I would say split step set-up instead of feet together, most people that I have taught have had trouble with this.
train safe, train hard