Author Topic: The best Traceur  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Hunter Neiblum

• Mangabey
  • Be Free my friend......
    • View Profile
Re: The best Traceur
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:20 PM »
well that settles it for me! I think the traceur is the one and only "David Belle".
It is not that things are impossible that we don't dare... It's that we don't dare that things are impossible.

Winter's Bite, clouds black as nite, the suns light, torretial rain, and a hint of pain-   Performance At My Best

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »
You will never find someone better at parkour than David Belle.  The man has been training parkour for double, in some cases triple of most traceurs.  He can move through his environment better/more efficiently than any person alive IMO.  If there were a competion (which i really wish there weren't) and he competed (which I'm almost posotive he wouldn't), there would be no competition.  Just him making a bunch of other guys look silly ;).

this is honestly a growing problem with the american scene.

Too many people grow to completely believe that david belle and other european traceurs are the end all to parkour greatness.

I will be better than david belle someday.

That's what keeps my interest in parkour strong.

Its not that im trying to be the best or anything, its more like im trying to gain the absolute most from parkour as i can, and i know that if i am able to get my quality of parkour up to or past David's level, i know i will have experienced almost everything parkour has to offer a person, all the spirituality, all the philosophy, all the life lessons, all the physical benefits(and sometimes drawbacks lol).
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Haack

• Patas
  • TEAM N00B YEAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:09 PM »
i dont really understand how anyone can argue who is the best at parkour. everyone has their own style, motivations, philosophies, etc.

trying to decide who is the best traceur is like trying to pick the best artist out of sculptors, classical painters, and architects. i hope that metaphor isnt too out there..

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 10:14:56 PM »
i dont really understand how anyone can argue who is the best at parkour. everyone has their own style, motivations, philosophies, etc.

trying to decide who is the best traceur is like trying to pick the best artist out of sculptors, classical painters, and architects. i hope that metaphor isnt too out there..

well its kinda different in that parkour has some set things that are always at a certain level, and increase or decrease with time and training regardless of your style.

Flow and Technique.

Its by this that we determine a persons level of skill at parkour.

Offline Haack

• Patas
  • TEAM N00B YEAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »
thats a good point, but it seems like all of the people who have been suggested as the best have reached those amazing levels in different techniques and have their own distinct styles

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »
thats a good point, but it seems like all of the people who have been suggested as the best have reached those amazing levels in different techniques and have their own distinct styles

agreed.

But its not as though everyone has been saying OMFG DAVID B3l1e FOR THE WIN!!!11!21!!

A few people that certainly know their way around the parkour scene have cast there vote for other well known traceurs as well. Some even pointed out that while David has good flow, it may not be the absolute best, and that he is strength oriented. I don't necessarily agree completely with that view, but its refreshing to see someone criticize Belle instead of simply saying he's the best at everything...EVER.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:58 AM »
i think you are all confusing one who is exhibiting parkour with one who is using it.

for one who is using it, i would refer you to my previous post:
i would say the best traceur is anyone that adequately used parkour in a time of need.
for one who is exhibiting it, in a video or the like, i'll have to agree with hak:
trying to decide who is the best traceur is like trying to pick the best artist out of sculptors, classical painters, and architects

it really isn't something i think you can be the best at. at some point you have reached a level of peace with your environment, the ability to pass through it naturally, and this simply is not something you can measure. the goal is to do so to the best of your abilities, so whether you jump higher or run faster is irrelevant. don't strive to be better than david belle, strive to be better than you were yesterday.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
i think you are all confusing one who is exhibiting parkour with one who is using it.

for one who is using it, i would refer you to my previous post:
i would say the best traceur is anyone that adequately used parkour in a time of need.
for one who is exhibiting it, in a video or the like, i'll have to agree with hak:
trying to decide who is the best traceur is like trying to pick the best artist out of sculptors, classical painters, and architects

it really isn't something i think you can be the best at. at some point you have reached a level of peace with your environment, the ability to pass through it naturally, and this simply is not something you can measure. the goal is to do so to the best of your abilities, so whether you jump higher or run faster is irrelevant. don't strive to be better than david belle, strive to be better than you were yesterday.

Well you're tapping into the more philosophical side of parkour, which is fine, but also remeber that at its core is still point A to point B as fast as possible, which is the more physical aspect of parkour, and with the traits i aforementioned(flow and technique) it can indeed be measured.

Also what is wrong with wanting to grow up to be better than david belle?

I said before that its nothing about competition, and honestly i feel like i've been improving alot faster ever since i started thinking that way(over thinking the way you mentioned).

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »
A good teacher is one who wishes his student to be 10 times greater than him.

Sat Santokh

Offline FrootLoops

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "STOP DOING HANDSTANDS IN THE HOUSE!" my mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 11:15:44 AM »
A good teacher is one who wishes his student to be 10 times greater than him.

Sat Santokh

You are officially the coolest person alive  :).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:36:13 PM by FrootLoops »
"Hello, my name is Chase Armitage.  I like to do backflips in the shower, oh and without a rubber mat, because im that awesome."

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
a to b are theoretical points, someone can show you an example but whether or not they are prepared no matter where a and b are is impossible to tell. philosophical side maybe, but it is essential to parkour. for the record it's as efficiently as possible, just because i beat you in a race doesn't mean i ran more efficiently than you.

the thing i see wrong with being "better than david belle" is that i don't see a quantitative method of calculating skill in parkour. i think that anyone that training should be pushing to reach their full potential, regardless of the efforts of other people.

on a pure movement note:
let's say i wallrun higher than you and you kong further than me? who is better.
now instill the philosophy into the statement:
I wallrun 6 inches less than i could with perfect technique, whereas you wallrun with perfect technique but still fall short of my wallrun. what i mean to say, is i dont think that i am better than you at parkour because i can do a technique measurably better.
bring technique into that, or flow, and you see that i may not have as much technique, but i may have as much technique as i am capable of at this time, whereas you might have lost potential, a visually flawless technique that uses more energy than necessary.
keep it free and true

Over
Through

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »
you cant argue this because all traceurs are human, and humans make mistakes. we could sit here for years breaking down every traceurs video and pointing out their weak points and justifying why they arent the best traceur.

clearly there is only one answer
i am the best traceur  ;)
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 04:33:59 PM »
anyone who tries to be is, so i reckon you are pointman.
keep it free and true

Over
Through

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 09:24:10 PM »
the thing i see wrong with being "better than david belle" is that i don't see a quantitative method of calculating skill in parkour. i think that anyone that training should be pushing to reach their full potential, regardless of the efforts of other people.

Well if you look at what i say at the bottom of the post as to WHY i think the way i do, you'll see it gives me the same effect. To me this seems like two sides with the same goal, we are doing it in different ways, but yet will both achieve our own individual goals.

I feel with that thinking it will make me grow faster as a traceur, and it actually HAS been helping me drive myself.

In a way i kinda think the other way at the same time.

From day to day, that is what i think about, just getting something that i didn't before, learning something new, or maybe doing a WOD a few sec quicker. However i still have a long term goal of being better than belle.

Seriously, there may not be a "quantitative way to calculate skill" but i mean really, just try looking with your eyes. David Belle is better on whatever level you want to call it than alot of us, and i simply am aspiring to exceed those levels.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:25:56 PM by Kurokaze »

Offline FrootLoops

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "STOP DOING HANDSTANDS IN THE HOUSE!" my mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
I think that because I suck at parkour, it's really hard to decide who's the best because they all amaze me.
"Hello, my name is Chase Armitage.  I like to do backflips in the shower, oh and without a rubber mat, because im that awesome."

Moa

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
Belle is amazing but his flow suffers in my opinion. It's just not smooth and nice.

yeah, but you can just see the power he's got.  effectiveness>flow

Not exactly, hes like a stick man. Power isn't always effective. I'm sure there are plenty of underbars Owen can do that Belle cannot, and all because Owen has perfect use of momentum. Belle rely's on strength.

Did you see the underbar through the slit at the top of the apartment door in the first chase scene of B-13 it was flawless and i didn't think his body would even get through without getting stuck. It may have taken a couple takes but it still counts. I think david belle is the best traceur he is the fastest and his movements are incredibly efficient.