Author Topic: Kong vault fear  (Read 1655 times)

Offline KevDru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Kong vault fear
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
Hello! So I have been doing parkour for about a month now. I know how to do a good amount of vaults, precisions and rolls. For some reason I have a fear of the Kong vault. I don't even know if its a fear. At first I didn't know if i could clear it but after my friend video taped me to see where my legs were I figured out I can. Now my problem is getting over the object. Every time I run up to the obstacle, I jump towards it and my body just stops and my arms never push me over.. Idk why, my arms automatically just stop me. It is frustrating that I know I can clear it but for some reason my arms are stopping me. Anyway to get over this and tips on how to help finish the move? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Kong vault fear
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
I'd need to see a video but it's probably just a confidence issue. Focus on getting your hips higher and throwing the object behind you as you push off it. The drills from this video should be more than enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvTe67irwc

Clapping/plyo pushups, dive rolls, and handstands can all help to some degree. Ground kongs are probably the best thing to do though.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »
Took me three months to get a kong. Well worth it! Good luck!
PK4LIFE!

Offline KevDru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
From what my buddy says and the video shows I am able to clear it. My hips are high. It might be a confidence thing. I guess I just need to break from stopping as soon as my hands hit. I'll try to post a video later since they are on my phone.