Author Topic: Trouble with wallrun to climb up  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Jhone435

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Trouble with wallrun to climb up
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
So I have been recently practicing wall runs, I can get a good solid 1 step and launch from it.
But there is this specific wall about 7 feet tall that I've been always wanting to get on top of by wall running at it, get a solid step and then climb up.
So I get the wall run good and I'm just hanging there on the ledge. I try to get into a cat but I can't get my feet up high enough and thus my feet simply slip.
I'm thinking that its either a flexibility issue or conditioning or maybe even my shoes ( but I dont really see them as the problem )
So hopefully you guys can help me with my problem?
Thanks in advance  ;D

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with wallrun to climb up
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
If your feet are slipping they're either too low or there simply isn't enough grip on the wall. It's more likely that your feet are too low and that it's a strength issue than anything else, although having very tight ankles could maybe cause the problem. Flexibility would be my last guess, though.

To get your feet up you need to lean back a little and let your arms straighten out. If you can film yourself and watch it you'll probably be able to see what you're doing wrong, and if you want to post a video I'll be able to give better advice instead of just guessing.

But yeah you probably just need to lean back more and straighten out your arms so your feet can get higher up on the wall which will give you better traction. You might need to get a little stronger if you're unable to pull yourself from hanging off the wall into a good cat position. Pull ups will help a lot.

Offline GeeksGoneBad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
yeah if there's anyway you can video the wall run I bet people would be able to help a lot - I myself am not the strongest so for me I have to get up into a cat or ontop of a wall with the momentum of the jump helping - I don't think I could pull myself up from a dead hang. so maybe try to work on the timing of it as well, launch yourself up the wall and as soon as your hands can get a gram pull hard and into the cat (there's gotta be SOME momentum left maybe hopefully) :)

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Use your momentum. The hardest thing to do is use your arms to pull yourself up. One motion, up. Try it and try it again, and every few days again and again, and the top offs from cat or straight-arm are good, too, even negative reps. Foucan has a wonderful vid with an alternate technique I'd only seen as an accidental tech, too. Good luck! You can do it!
PK4LIFE!

Offline Misterbadaboon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
If you look up "Parkoir from Scratch" on YouTube, you'll see a pretty good tutorial for climb ups.
Fear is just another obstacle.

Offline APK_Slash

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
its not flexibility trust me, i have to fight every inch just to bend over and reach my toes... my mother just showed me how easy she could do it the other day and shes nowhere near in shape. =embarrasing.. so i got zero flexiblity and can get over 11 ft walls without to much effort at only 5'6". you want to keep your chest and chin up. i doubt the shoes will play any part but the texture of the wall really can change the game. pull ups (if reverse) will help get your body up and over.
Fearlessness is Limitless

Offline Lets take flight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 03:42:01 AM »
So I have been recently practicing wall runs, I can get a good solid 1 step and launch from it.
But there is this specific wall about 7 feet tall that I've been always wanting to get on top of by wall running at it, get a solid step and then climb up.
So I get the wall run good and I'm just hanging there on the ledge. I try to get into a cat but I can't get my feet up high enough and thus my feet simply slip.
I'm thinking that its either a flexibility issue or conditioning or maybe even my shoes ( but I dont really see them as the problem )
So hopefully you guys can help me with my problem?
Thanks in advance  ;D
try putting your foot at waist height  but once you grab the wall use your dominate foot and rise your knee up in an explosive form as your doing so move your chest forward and close to ledge i hope this helps