Author Topic: How long does it take to perfect the parkour roll?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Timeforbacon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How long does it take to perfect the parkour roll?
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
I'm new to parkour and I'm just getting the hang of the dive roll on the grass, but whenever i do a crouching or standing roll on the concrete I get a sharp pain in my shoulder and middle of my spine. I'm pretty sure that's normal as I'm a beginner, but I just wanted to know how long it took you guys to get the roll down on concrete, and if you have any tips?

I also use the diamond technique if that changes anything.

Offline bluej

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take to perfect the parkour roll?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECpmQKXrdk
Check out this tutorial. It gives some good tips on how to roll painlessly on hard surfaces as well as other important parts of the roll like the exit position. I don't use the diamond technique myself, but it seems to work fairly well at absorbing impact especially after drops.

I haven't perfected the parkour roll yet either, but I'm working on it. It's something that takes a lot of patience and technique to perfect on hard surfaces. Just keep working at it and you'll get it eventually.

Offline Bryan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
took me 3 years until i met Amos at the APEX level 1 cert course, the above posted video is pk info GOLD, after meeting him and working on the roll i finally had rolls on concrete.

Offline jod6437

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:55:12 AM »
I've been doing parkour since April and I struggle to do it on anything harder then sand. Except I notice that for anything softer then concrete, If I jump down from a height, I can do it really well, but not do it from standing or crouching. I recommend going to a parkour workshop, because having someone right next to you could really help

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
It really depends how often you practice the move, and how natural the move is to you. I've known some people who have trained for 2 years and still can't roll on concrete properly. Conversely, I've known someone who has barely done Parkour rolls and was able to get it down in under 6 months.

When I was working it I was told this: "It take a thousand rolls to get the perfect one". Don't focus so much on how long it takes, just keep focusing on the technique.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:11 AM »
10 years, and if you really try, 15 years, and if you really, really try, 20 years. (Adapted saying from the East)
PK4LIFE!