Author Topic: Best way to do your lead up?  (Read 4065 times)

Offline detroiter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Best way to do your lead up?
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
I've been having a ton of fun and learning a lot since my initial post. One thing that I'm still trying to figure out the secret to is figuring out the best way possible to a lead up on the intended object. What's the best way to figure out how many steps or how large to make your stride when approaching the object? I keep finding myself taking nice full strides and then it's either too far away or I get too close to the object, so then I have to shuffle my steps close at the last second, instead of making a nicely spaced stride.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to do your lead up?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
That's something you'll get a lot better at the more you train. It's hard to work on directly but it will improve. A good way to get better at quickly judging distances is to start runs from random distances away and not giving yourself time to plan out your steps. At first it will be really hard but with practice you'll get more skilled at it.

My personal technique for fixing my foot placement as I run up to something is to use medium or long strides. Instead of stutter stepping I'll take a few slightly slower and longer strides until I get in my intended path and then I speed up.

If you don't care about being able to do it without planning ahead then either practice the run up a few times from the same spot or plan out each step ahead of time. On particularly challenging runs I'll sometimes even tell myself "left, right, left, right, leftrightjump" haha.

Offline Brandon Dean

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
This is honestly one of those times when the best thing to do is just to stop thinking. Just give in to the movement. You feel it. Your body will adjust without you even noticing. It's like balance. If you think about it, you fall quickly. If you give in to just feeling it, your body automatically adjusts.

Offline detroiter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
I tried putting your suggestions to use this passed week and it helped out a lot, I appreciate the advice!

Offline Shu Mookerjee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »
Detroiter,

Brandon and Dick both gave some solid advice. But I'll add my two cents since I struggle with this on a regular basis.

In fact, if you like, check out my training log as I mention this pretty much every other week:

http://americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,41599.0.html

A lot of times, it's mental. For me I have a nagging fear of clipping my feet if it's a vault or smashing my face if it's a wall run. So I'll work up to it in stages few times.

I'll set the distance by standing by the obstacle and then taking some steps back.  Then I'll run up to with even medium stride. If it's something like a wall run, I might even approach it and then just plant a leg on it.

This helps with the muscle memory and get the body ready.

After that, I'll just go.

Hope this helps!