Author Topic: Jaz's Training Journal. [Critiques and the like welcome]  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Jaz_Thomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I want my movements to be fluid and controlled.
    • View Profile
Jaz's Training Journal. [Critiques and the like welcome]
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:16:18 AM »
About:
I've done parkour on and off over the last three or four years, and sticking with it has been a little problematic. Mostly because I end up talking myself into training tomorrow which turns into the day after, maybe next week, and so on. However, with this upcoming summer, I intend to completely change that attitude of mine and finally get serious about this really awesome sport. So I'll be keeping track of my progress with this handy little thread (opinions, criticisms, tips, etc. welcome), hope you'll join me for the ride!

Stats:
Age - 19
Gender - Female
Height - 5'9"
Weight - 245
Mile time - 10:15

Goals:
50 pushups without tiring
35 pressups without tiring
20 handstand-ups
PK Roll on concrete with at least 90% no pain
Overcome my fear of the Kong Vault
Perfect the underbar
Mile time of 8:30 or less
Run across my campus in under 10 minutes
Master 5 vaults by December 2014
Wall-run/Climb up in quick succession (5 seconds or less?)
Find a training buddy. Or four.
Hold a handstand for 1:30
Make my city my playground
Survive the zombie apocalypse

Well, wish me luck! ;)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:38:40 AM by Jaz_Thomas »
The world will be my playground.

Offline Jaz_Thomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Jaz's Training Journal.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
Day 1 . 5/28/14

Jog/walk for 15 min
Sprints for 5 min
QM for 10 min
Landing for 10 min
Roll for 20 min

My shoulder and lower back hurt so I'm pretty sure my rolls were atrocious. I started out with table top, but I may have gotten a little cocky and started diving into my rolls. Gotta master the stationary first right?

Landings went a little better, though I need to work on distance and height, since I didn't get very far. Probably need to work on my jumps period. Any suggestions?

I need to work on running for longer periods of time, my endurance wasn't the best and I mostly did jogging. Need to look up planning sessions, haha. Ah, I'm sore.

And itchy. Really itchy. Should probably roll my sleeves down for training in grass.

What I Learned from this:
-I should invest in running shoes. Don't think my Vans are going to cut it. I hear Feiyues are really good.
-Need to work on jumping power, distance and height,
-Perfect my roll from a stationary position before I start diving into it.
-I need to run. Alot.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Jaz's Training Journal. [Critiques and the like welcome]
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
Welcome back to apk, Jaz

Those are some pretty impressive goals, good luck achieving them :)

The three two best things to increase your jump height/distance are dead lifts and (acrefully) practicing jumping just below or above your limit.
Since you plan to run a lot I highly suggest you read this stickied topic.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Jaz_Thomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
Day 1. (Again.) 7.11.14

Lack of posting was mostly due to sprained ankle, two weeks of on and off again knee pain and a back injury.  I did alot of stretching and some meager running between it though. Today was the first day I felt good enough to get out there and actually do some training. Gonna get back to it everyday starting today.

Jog/walk: 10 min.
Precisions: 15 min.
Balance: 3 min.
Sprinting: 20 min.
Stretching: 20 min.
Roll practice: 1 hour and 10 min.

My lack of balance practice was due to continiously falling off the back of the bench I was using and giving. So I might focus on balancing tomorrow and get some tips from the other people who will be at the jam I'm attending.

What I learned from this:
-My shoulder really hurts from rolls, but I almost got it near the end. Need to practice extending my legs and going over my back.
-I practiced doing precisions on the sidewalk and managed to land on my viewpoint, though landing was shaky. Need to increase jump distance.
-I tried box jumps...and chickened out any higher that the curb.
-I can sprint faster now!
-I want to go back out and practice my wall run as well as my QM and jump height. Might even try the Kong!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:34:05 PM by Jaz_Thomas »

Offline Jaz_Thomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
Day 2. 7/13/14.

I went to my first city jam today! Oh, it was soooo much fun training with some more experienced people. So looks like I'll be postponing my wall run until I get some more upper body strength and am more comfortable with lifting and jumping. But other than that, I got my precision, cat leap, and safety vault down!

Walking/Jogging: 15 minutes.
Precisions: 10 minutes.
Wall Run: 20 minutes.
Safety Vault: 30 minutes.
Cat Leap: 20 minutes.
Safety Ups: 15 minutes.
Speed/Thief/Kong Vault Progressions: 10 minutes.

Definitely need to work on my balance and jumping. My landing also stop my momentum instead of letting me carry it through so need to practice. I want to train tomorrow but seeing as my knee hurts now, I might just focus on stretching, upper body conditioning and flexibility.

What I learned from this:
-I really want to invest in a pair of Feiyues. Really don't think my Vans are going to cut it.
-If I ever need someone to train with, see who's doing what on the FB group!
-Need to really work on my upper body strength. I could only hang myself for about a minute before it started to hurt.
-Practice my wall runs after I'm more comfortable with just hanging off of the ledge.
-I can should do *insert vault name here* ups before I try the move. It's basically just progressions.
-PERFECT. MY. LANDING.

Offline Jaz_Thomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
Day 83. 10/5/14.

Wheeeeew, this hasn't been touched in awhile, haha. Well I'm back and better at actually remembering to update! There's a little repeated event on my calendar too - gonna try posting once a week. And I have been training consistently y'know? Lots of vault and landing practice lately. Welps, anyways updates updates and training!

Updates:
-Learned safety vault, speed vault, reverse vault and thief vault.
-Can jump 4.5 ft (I am very proud of this.)
-15 pushups in a row!
-The roll...almost got it. Guess I have trouble running after I complete it?
-Found quite a few training buddies at my school so I have PK fun after classes!

Training:
Today was a roll/landing day. Soooooo many rolls, was sooooo itchy! Think I'll practice them in a day or two. Debating between flips or vaults tomorrow.

What's Next:
-Roll, roll, roll.
-Dash or Kong vault whichever I stop being scared to do first.
-Increasing jump height and distance.
-Lots of conditioning, lots of QM!
-Any tips on balance?