Author Topic: Weight Issues  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
Weight Issues
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »
Since the wrestling season ended I've been having some weight issues. During the season I would cut 2-3 lbs a week, going from 106-107 to 103-105. Now, even when I'm eating entirely healthy and working out 5 times a week my weight stays around 110-112. I know that that's healthy for me- my doctor has told me that I have very little excess fat on my body. However, wrestling has brainwashed me into thinking that that is not an acceptable weight. I don't know where the extra 5 lbs came from. I eat very few salty foods, drink a lot of water, and eat probably less than I should. Does anyone have a possible explanation?
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Weight Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »
Could be a few things.

High carbs tend to promote water retention whereas lower carb diets (particularly those rich in protein) tend to promote water loss.  Are you eating many carbs?

Also, you're a woman, so this isn't meant to embarrass you or put you on the spot.  How long have you had the weight on you?  Menstrual cycles tend to cause fluctuating water retention tendencies.  If you noticed menstrual disturbances in the past because of low BF (due to wrestling) then your menstual disturbances can cause water loss.  If the weight doesn't fluctuate down after your cycle passes (assuming you are ramping up) then this is likely not the case and you may want to consider the water retention aspect of your diet more closely (carbs vs. proteins, salts vs. no salts, etc.)

Finally, have you recently started birth control?  Now, I know you may not want to clue us into these details, so you need not answer - you will know on your own.  Birth control pills play with hormones and cycles and, if after wrestling, you started a birth control cycle then this amount of water retention could be due to your contraceptives.  Birth controls also tend to increase diet subconsciously - so you may be eating more than you realize if you are on a new pill.  If this IS the case then you likely will not be able to lose the weight while you are on birth control.  You can try another brand/formula of pill to see if it helps but its not likely.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
This weight came on maybe a month after the season, once I had gotten my eating back to normal. I am eating the same way I did before the season when I weighed 108ish.

I've been on birth control for several months now, it started before the season. I have an awful case or reoccuring ovarian cysts and the pills keep them from getting to large and bursting. I recently started a type of pill that makes it so that I never ovulate and therefore never have a period. This was quite recent.

I do eat carbs and I'm working on eating less, now that I have the option of driving to the store myself and buying food. And I do not weigh myself if I know I have eaten a lot of salt. However, even in weeks when I have eaten nothing with more than 50mg of sodium my weight is still this high.

Here is what I eat on weekdays, I generally stick to the same foods.

Breakfast: Fibertarts. (I know that they're awful for you since they're essentially poptarts but my doctor says I do not get enough fiber and we've found that this is the only breakfast that works for me. I'd explain more but it's a little embarassing.)

Lunch: Half a small pita pocket with either turkey and lettuce or cheese, some sort of fruit, a few Nilla wafers that usually get stolen by my friends anyways, and a Fiber Bar.

Dinner: Some sort of protein (Chicken, Salmon, Lamb, etc) or a carb (spaghetti, other pastas), a vegetable (broccoli, beans, cabbage, squash generally), and a starch (small noodles, potatoes).

I eat dessert on special occasions. We don't eat out very often, either, but both of my parents are on "diets" (I use the term lightly seeing as my dad is really bad at sticking to his), so we tend to eat at places where we know we can find healthier options (not fried, stuff like that).

Snacks are infrequent seeing as I chew way too much gum. I generally snack on cheese sticks, grapes, yogurt, etc.

As for drinks I mainly drink water, I carry a bottle of it at school. Sometimes I'll get a smoothie after school with friends but at home I drink a ton of milk (generally 3 glasses a day, minimum).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:36:46 AM by Rebecca Myers »
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »
I've been on birth control for several months now, it started before the season. I have an awful case or reoccuring ovarian cysts and the pills keep them from getting to large and bursting. I recently started a type of pill that makes it so that I never ovulate and therefore never have a period. This was quite recent.

I think this is our culprit.  The lack of a period is caused by hormonal regulations that promote water retention.  Essentially, your body always thinks its pregnant and pregos need more water for the increase metabolic demand (and much more) that pregnancy demands.  If this bit of weight is too much for you to deal with then you may want to switch back to your old pill or try another option.  This can be demanding on the body (and on your sex life, as it were, since switching pills may lead you vulnerable to pregnancy).

I do eat carbs and I'm working on eating less, now that I have the option of driving to the store myself and buying food. And I do not weigh myself if I know I have eaten a lot of salt. However, even in weeks when I have eaten nothing with more than 50mg of sodium my weight is still this high.

Going low carb and low salt may not be the answer.  I would experiment with it, but given your athletic nature and the fact that you aren't in competition, then I would suggest that you up your sodium intake a bit.  Sodium is one of the main ions responsible for nerve conduction and this is especially important to athletes who stress their nerves quite a bit AND lose sodium through sweating.  I would suggest you up your salt intake and would speculate that you would not see a huge increase in waterweight as a result.  Experiment with it, of course.  Also, consult your doctor if you think this may be a problem because of hypertension or congenital heart disease, etc.

Here is what I eat on weekdays, I generally stick to the same foods.

You should try to vary your diet on a seasonal basis, at least.  Eating the same thing every day leaves you wide open to nutritional (micronutrient) deficiencies.  These deficiencies may also be causing water retention due to mechanisms of which I am unaware.

Breakfast: Fibertarts. (I know that they're awful for you since they're essentially poptarts but my doctor says I do not get enough fiber and we've found that this is the only breakfast that works for me. I'd explain more but it's a little embarassing.)

What other options have you explored?  I am concerned that you are not getting enough fiber because that means you are eating mostly processed foods as your source of carbs.  Also, doctors tend to stress high fiber for GI issues as well as cholesterol issues.  Cholesterol isn't really an indicator of heart disease and it usually comes up for people your age if you have a history of heart disease in the family.  Either way, there are plenty of sources of fiber if you are eating properly (that is, unprocessed foods) and this should be a non-issue.  There is no reason you should need fiber in the morning as opposed to the whole of the rest of your day.  You should be eating more fruits and veggies.  Salads, fruit salads, whole fruits, oatmeals, carrots, beans, etc.  You can eat any or all of this for breakfast and I think that saying you have eliminated all other options is short sighted.  If you want to discuss this in private then feel free to IM me/skype me/email me and we can go through some options together.  Eating fiber tarts every morning is an obstacle in your diet, imho, not a solution.

Lunch: Half a small pita pocket with either turkey and lettuce or cheese, some sort of fruit, a few Nilla wafers that usually get stolen by my friends anyways, and a Fiber Bar.

Replace the pita with greens.  Replace the nilla wafers with an extra fruit or a piece of dark chocolate.  If you eat greens instead of the pita then you won't need a fiber bar for your extra fiber - and it cuts out a piece of processed crap from your diet.  You can also make your own "fiber bars" with some dried fruit, honey/agave and oatmeal.  Three ingredients, unprocessed and a LOT healthier.

Dinner: Some sort of protein (Chicken, Salmon, Lamb, etc) or a carb (spaghetti, other pastas), a vegetable (broccoli, beans, cabbage, squash generally), and a starch (small noodles, potatoes).

IMHO, cut out the starch, and replace it with, you guessed it, greens.  There are dozens of different kinds of lettuce and spring mixes.  There are several kinds of vinegars and oils.  There are tons of salad veggie/fruit toppings that mix up the flavor (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, avocado, kiwi, carrots, raddishes, beats, rutabagas, sesame seeds, olives, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.) Salads never get boring if you learn how to mix it up and it will solve your fiber problem AND your processed food problem AND your starch problem all in one shot.

I eat dessert on special occasions. We don't eat out very often, either, but both of my parents are on "diets" (I use the term lightly seeing as my dad is really bad at sticking to his), so we tend to eat at places where we know we can find healthier options (not fried, stuff like that).

Enjoy your desserts on special occasions.  I suggest limit your dessert eating to when you are in company - and as part of a celebration.

Snacks are infrequent seeing as I chew way too much gum. I generally snack on cheese sticks, grapes, yogurt, etc.

Gum is also loaded with processed sugars which may be increasing your water retention.

As for drinks I mainly drink water, I carry a bottle of it at school. Sometimes I'll get a smoothie after school with friends but at home I drink a ton of milk (generally 3 glasses a day, minimum).

If you want to kick the few extra pounds you may consider dropping the milk, as well, for a short time (3-4 weeks) to see if it reduces the bloat.  This is mostly based on anecdotal evidence but its worth a shot just to see how you react.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:24:00 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Thanks Chris! I'm going to talk to my parents about some of these options and do a little experimentation.
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Let me know how it goes.

Offline fadric

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Garcinia Cambogia Magics
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
Lot's of peoples are facing weight issues and struggling to reduce weight by using harmful medications, Garcinia Cambogia Australia is best weight loss pills to get rid from overweight and extra fats. Garcinia cambogia burn your calories by naturally without any harm to your body organs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:37:07 PM by fadric »