Author Topic: Strange Rolling Occurrence  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Ronnie Thompson

• Patas
  • Team Raven-Moon Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Strange Rolling Occurrence
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »
So I've been doing rolls for about 2 months now (when I started PK) and I have always rolled on my left shoulder, and never on my right. But yesterday, I started rolling on my right shoulder and found that my roll is WAY more smooth, even without practice. I found that the transition between the roll and a run is much more smooth and that there is little to no pain at all. Why is this??? Why is my "right shoulder roll" smoother and better than my left??? ???
"Flow like water, because flowing water never runs stale." -Bruce Lee

Offline The Barefoot Panther

• Patas
  • what is this, 'personal text'?
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Rolling Occurrence
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
Are you right handed?
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Durandalski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
There's really no good answer for this. I found the same thing happened to me early in my roll training. Then in time I went back to my left shoulder. I still drill my right shoulder rolls and use them occasionally, but I use my left 90% of the time. Sometimes we find ourselves drilling bad habits without knowing it. Switching sides can reveal this. But Don't forget that there are countless aspects of the roll to worry about. Maybe your right shoulder rolls don't hit your shoulder or hip, but you're banging your knee on the ground when you exit.

Don't worry about the difference, train both sides and decide which you prefer later on.
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - JFK

Offline Ronnie Thompson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the opinions guys, and yes, I am right handed. I guess that I was doing something wrong with my left and I needed a new start lol. I will continue rolling on my right shoulder and eventually, when my muscle memory forgets itself, I will try to do "correct" rolls with my left  :).

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
While we're on this topic already, is there any real reason to learn to roll from both shoulders, other than maybe just training you body to adapt to new things? I simply always roll from my right, and have never as of yet had a reason to roll from my left. Maybe in tight spaces?
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Durandalski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:45 AM »
I think it's important for a couple reasons. A: having a complete and rounded parkour skill set, B: when dealing with drops and flips off of hights at or near your max safe drop it's easy to land off balance or off step for a roll over your preferred shoulder. I've been practicing front flips off of a 4ft block at the gym and frequently my landing forces a roll over my not so preferred right shoulder. I'm glad I trained for it. :) trying to force a left shoulder roll could result in injury. And C: if you bruise your shoulder or get PSIS'd it's nice to roll over your Uninjured side till the bruises heal. ;)
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - JFK

Offline Ronnie Thompson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
Well said Durandalski, well said.

Offline THEafk5

• Guenons
  • Less QQ More Pew Pew(or training)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
+1 to that, especialy the bruise part. Reminds me of how I kinda bang my thigh when practicing italian jobs
No pain, no gain. No gain, no pain.
"A man falls before he rises, just as there is darkness, before light. But if you trip while attempting a double kong before learning how to kong, then that's not my problem"-Me

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
Good point. I had not thought of that. I think I'll begin practicing with my left shoulder, especially seeing as how I kinda stupidly did a dive roll on concrete a little while ago, and bruised the bone on my hip real bad. I have no idea why I didn't think of simply rolling the opposite way till it healed, but I didn't. Thanks.
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Hopscotch

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »
I don't think there's a good reason to learn both sides.

10 push ups

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
Avoiding rolling over an already bruised spot is the best reason I can think of. Realistically there aren't many situations where you absolutely have to roll over a particular shoulder, and most people tend to land in a way that favors their better roll anyway. If that doesn't happen I don't think it's likely that they'll be perfectly set up to roll over the other shoulder either. So while it can be useful I don't think there's ever a need for it.

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Changing or favoring sides happens to my tumbling students all the time.   They some times will twist opposite of the side they normally twist.   Same for them doing handstands (leading leg).   I tell them its them finally being comfortable with a skill and not think about it and do what feels natural at the time.  Granted twisting in tumbling should always be the side they learn it on but for beginning skills like a handstand or roll.     Let your body pick.
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:43 AM »
Wait they twist the opposite way without intending to? That's..shocking, honestly. Everybody I know, myself included, twists only one way and it's weird to even think about twisting the other.

Offline Tim "Cabra" Cutts

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
Yea the kids are so comfortable being in the air that some times the kids don't even think.   It happens.
Train smart, train safe.  You are not your neighbor.

APK Certified as of May '14
APK Ambassador as of March '15

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
sometimes you just need to switch shoulders, depending on where you're landing and where you're headed off to after your roll. the environment should determine which shoulder you'll use.. it should be drilled to perfection on both sides so you've got it when you need it.. and you will need it.

Offline Ragdoll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »
Since we're on the topic of weird rolls, I have a habit of wrapping my arm around my knee when I roll l. It doesn't get in the way of the roll and I can still roll and recover smoothly but is there any scenario were this will back fire and kill my painfully or is it alright?

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »
Offside rolls are often super smooth if the onside roll is practiced. It's very useful to have in long runs, because sometimes you'll be in the air and didn't take off the way you usually do. Re: grabbing the knee, if you roll from a large drop or dive roll, most people take a bit of it on their hands or a hand and forearm.
PK4LIFE!

Offline ShowMetheFuture

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I love parkour and music and want to share it!
    • View Profile
    • ShowMetheFuture PARKOUR/Freerunning
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
I have found this too... so yah!
My YouTube channel: Hope you can visit it and watch my parkour videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBe2DM3a2zmuLz4qLDXvVjg