Author Topic: fear of breaking collarbone during rolls any tips  (Read 1835 times)

Offline tylertdog17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
fear of breaking collarbone during rolls any tips
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
hi traceurs i have a concern that ive been worried about for a long time when im trainning im always worried about breaking my collarbone rolling from a drop and im also worried about even a broken leg can you please give me tips on how tp prevent this

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: fear of breaking collarbone during rolls any tips
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
I think collarbone and esp. leg are the last things, you could break during a roll.  :P
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
Literally just stop taking drops until you get more experienced. If you have even the slightest concern about breaking anything then you're not ready for the drop. If you do the method you keep describing properly and not from big drops you won't get hurt. If you're not ready, keep taking big drops, or mess up your roll you will get hurt. That's all there is to it. Your friend for damn sure isn't ready and should probably be sticking to ground level rolls until he figures it out, and then slowly progress height. And I mean slowly. Not working up to 10 foot drops in a week because "It feels fine".

Keep working your roll at ground level. Then work on jumping into it. Then jump from maybe a foot. If at any point you hurt anything take it back to the previous step. There's no quick fix here, there's just patience and practice.

Offline APK_Slash

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
if you are referring to me which i think you are, you have missread that whole post he made before. im not the friend hes talking about that he trains with.
But tyler dont have the mindset you will break something, ALWAYS be confident in what you do. dont overthink thinks and psyc yourself out. part of parkour is beating fear, i was terrified of heights before i started. once you drill it over and over it will be just like ridding a bike for you.
Fearlessness is Limitless

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
No I'm talking about his friend who's hurting himself.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »
Yeah, start from the ground up, 10 foot drops are still pretty big for me and I know my rolls quite well.
Asking the same question over and over again though will only have the same outcome, which is the same answer-Don't roll if your not ready, furthermore if you do feel ready like I said start from the ground up.
Emphasize on rule 4
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline tylertdog17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »
ok guys thanks ive been doing parkour for over a year and my rolls are good ive always practiced them constantly over and over again and i still do the reason im worried of breaking a leg is im just worried of landing wrong and also the reason i worry about breakng the collarbone is i read an article of someone who did a high drop and went into the roll and broke it thats all but i do trust my roll alot and i still practice it daily but your right im going to ignore the fear in my mind and just train and for my friend that hurts himself he has not been able to roll for a long time about probably almost a week he already has shoulder damage from things now he smashed his arm in the ground and its almost completely destroyed he said he wont quit parkour ever though

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
thats good as long as you are safe. Don't fear breaking a bone while rolling, the odds of that actually happening are ludicrous.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Bones are piezoelectric crystals, meaning they turn shock into charge, which may or may not be related to the fact that the Shaolin hit themselves with stones or hammers every day to strengthen themselves. Take from this what you will.
PK4LIFE!

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Bones are piezoelectric crystals, meaning they turn shock into charge, which may or may not be related to the fact that the Shaolin hit themselves with stones or hammers every day to strengthen themselves. Take from this what you will.

...interesting.