Author Topic: trees...  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Josh

• Patas
  • CHIEFTAIN PK/ Movement 101
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
trees...
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »
Do any of you use trees in your training? If so, what do you in them?
"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: trees...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
Climb them. Kongs, speeds, dashes, underbars, muscleups.

If the tree permits, obviously. :) Trees are fun, but I'm scared of heights(yea, great fear to have as a traceur, but with Pk i'm overcoming it, so, ya know :))
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
Climb, pop-ups, muscle ups, branch to branch precisions [both standing and w/ arms], speeds, cat leaps, turn vaults, QM... almost any move that can be done to a rail or wall can be done to a tree. It may break on you, though.

Offline Sean Boyd

• Mangabey
  • “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
Climb, pop ups, pull ups, ets. If you get a good tree it can be hours of training.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »
This is getting out of hand....

Everyone needs to make a thread and ask people what to do in every situation. It's a tree, climb around in it and have fun. You don't need a name for everything you do, you don't need to do certain things to get a benefit from your training. Just do what comes naturally to every human being and play. Play=Training. When young tigers play-fight amongst themselves they are training for when they actually have to defend themselves. I truly think that this is a big problem in the parkour community, everybody imitating everybody else and not just going out and being creative and finding ways to move and train on their own.

On topic, I love trees (shut up, Mike...) just being in them and finding every way to move about in them will help your strength, coordination, balance, body-awareness, the list goes on. I'm planning on making a video soon showing only the natural-environment training I do, and trees will be a huge part.

Don't think I'm attacking you or anyone personally with my little rant, I'm concerned about (what I see as) a problem in the community.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
Personally, I like hugging trees.  ;)
Queen of Puns

Offline Haack

• Patas
  • TEAM N00B YEAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
find ones that stand at different angles, you can use the ones with steep angles to learn wallspins, wallflips, etc. and slowly work up to a tree that stands straight up. in my opinion, they're the best possible training tool for these movements (besides a gym..)

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »
I like to just climb around up in the trees like a monkey! Tons of fun, just don't fall!
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

crazyted

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
trees are just part of your environment... much more natural than concrete.. but just use them as you see fit climbing swinging... etc lots of good conditioning can also be done in trees... They are a great training tool.... Enjoy...

on the side note be especially careful to test the branches out slowly to make sure there good and strong... because they can rot and such and may look good but then swing bang crash... and your on the ground.. anyways enjoy!

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »
Trees are pretty much what I do all my training on. I live right in front of a forest, so there's why.

Something that's kinda difficult but probably very helpful is climbing those trees that go straight up without any branches. Pretty difficult, but I bet being able to do that comes in pretty handy if you've gotta climb up a flag pole or something like that. Leaning trees you can vault over, fallen trees, especially over a creek or something, you can balence on and stuff like that, I think they're just as good as rails. But one thing I think people don't think about much is treehouses. C'mon, that's combining the best of natural and urban (well, maybe not the best or urban, but at least it's good side.) You can build treehouses with walls close to the ground, strong roofs, railings, and stuff like that from scrap wood and stuff you find lying around and in dumpsters, just make sure that everything's securely screwed in and that nobody is gonna come yell at you for building a treehouse in the park, and that's really useful for training, saves you the trouble of finding a good place to practice.