Author Topic: The Journey to become a Lioness  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
The Journey to become a Lioness
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
Wow, so I haven't done one of these in forever. I'm getting back into training after a while. And I know that this will keep me accountable. So, I will start it today. And start, and I can't wait to get back and become the fierce lioness I am. Because I am a little leonine.

Now this is going to be somewhat of a journal. I'll write things here and there about whatever. But, I would appreciate some feedback, and more of the constructive kind. :)

Current weight: 214.7 lbs
Height: 5'5.5"

Goal: Get down to a decent weight and get more fit before starting to train more on the movements. Working on myself first.

I'm planning on going to the gym here in a minute but I will be editing this initial post with what I did today.

EDIT:

Food today:

1 McChicken with no lettuce
1 McDouble with only ketchup
1 Large Coke from McD's
2 slices of homemade cheese and spinach pizza
1 large spinach salad with sunflower seeds and ranch
1 PB&J on Dave's Killer Bread
1/2 orange

I've had about 3 glasses of water today.

Now I know that my food sucks. It's usually not like this. The reason being is because of an unexpected expense that took money away from our (that is my girlfriend and I) grocery money. This day didn't have distinct times of when I ate. I woke up late, got going late, and all in all was not a very good start to my day. More like I woke up tense and stressed. All I wanted to do was sleep and not have a care in the world. But I had to be an adult and be responsible no matter how much I didn't want to. To me it seems like I have an issue when I wake up and things don't go the way you want, when you wake up stressed it sucks the life out of me. Because, I just don't want to do anything. I just wanted to be lazy.

Workout:

• 20:10 on the bike
From the workout summary it told me:

Calories burned: 103
Distance: 4.07 miles
Distance Climbed: 1,184 feet
Avg Speed: 12.11 MPH
Avg Pace: 4:57/mile
Avg Heart Rate: 147
Calories/Hour: 306

• 7:14 on stair climber

Calories burned: 533
Miles: .30
Avg Watts: 1,179
Floors: 14
Avg Calories/Hour: 442
Avg Steps/Min: 32

This thing kills. That's it. It's a killer. I haven't sweat that much in a long time.

• 6:56 on treadmill

Distance: 0.31 miles
Avg Speed: 2.76 mph
Avg Pace: 21:42/mile
Avg Heart Rate: 142

This was more to cool down. This gym visit was a quick one because I have to get up early for work tomorrow. And I know for a fact I need a better cool down that what I've done.
_________________________________________________________________________________

So now my girlfriend said cardio is the best way to lose fat quick. I am wondering if this is true. I thought something 50/50 would be good. 50% Cardio, 50% Strength. I'm definitely going to do some research online and through here on APK, because I know that there are a lot of you that are fantastic at knowing that information or have it on hand.

But, any feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:16:46 PM by Ashley McC »
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey to become a Lioness
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi Ashley! Starting a journal is definitely a step in the right direction. To help you out in your research I already wrote a little bit about losing weight here and here. Diet is the most important factor (also for health reasons, but for weight loss as well) but exercise will help a lot. Basically as long as you burn more energy than you consume you'll lose weight and it's a lot easier to eat 400 calories than to burn them which is why diet is so important. Also, like I mentioned in the other threads, don't ever beat yourself up because your diet sucked one day or you had a crappy workout. It's steady work over time that pays off.

The reason cardio is assumed to be the best way to lose fat is because it takes a lot of energy (so you burn a good amount of calories). It's very helpful, but true strength training also burns a lot. If you've ever squatted or deadlifted your 3-5 rep max for 3-5 sets you know how much energy that takes. Also, don't quote me on this, but building muscle increases your metabolism to at least some extent (more energy is needed to maintain the muscle) so that helps you lose weight and maintain the loss. Realistically the best exercise to lose weight is the exercise you'll stick with (although reps of fork putdowns with every meal help :P). If you enjoy cardio and dislike strength training then for now stick with the cardio because you won't be miserable doing it. If you hate cardio but strength training is fun for you then make a strength routine and work on that. Either way you'll lose weight and be healthier so pick whatever makes you happy as you go.

I also recommend taking a few pictures of yourself so you have a reference point, especially if you decide to do strength training. There may be times where your weight doesn't change much but you get in much better shape so having a picture to look back at will prove to you that what you're doing is paying off.

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
Hello Ashley,

Along with what Dick said, if you wish to burn calories the best way is typically cardio and weight resistant exercises

Dick pretty much summed up the ideal exercises that help lose weight so I'm going to leave it at that.

To me, I feel eating right is all about having the proper mindset. Last year, I always gave myself excuses for eating unhealthy. "I can work this off", "It's faster to cook pre-made meals", and "I'm taking a break from diet" where all attitudes I had about my diet. As a result, I will train but see myself gain more fat than muscle. I finally started seeing a change after I adopting several rules I stuck with for my diet:

The first rule involves drinks. A lot of drinks result in weight gain. A lot of people tend to be ignorant of this, but sugary drinks are a huge cause for weight gain. Most drinks contain no fiber and a lot of sugar. As a result, you will not feel full and get a lot of sugar in your body, which results in gaining excess fat. I settled that the only drinks I will have is water, tea, and milk. Nothing added to any of the aforementioned drinks and I assured to get the proper amount each day. If you have trouble consuming the proper amount of water, try to carry with you a BPA free water bottled wherever you go. I started doing this about a year and a half ago and I impulsively drink water throughout the day. I am now getting more than enough water every day.

The second rule is to watch your servings. Whenever I finish a meal I feel this sort of "Pseudo-Hunger". What this means is that I'm hungry before I eat, and immediately after I eat I still feel that same hunger or just slightly less of it. This was mainly because I never gave my body enough time to digest. Rather, I grabbed a second serving or I consumed more food. Whenever I have just finished a meal, I still experience this pseudo-hunger. I tell myself "Wait 20-30 minutes, if you're still hungry you can grab a snack". Most of the time I never continue experiencing this pseudo-hunger. If I do still feel this hunger, I usually snack on a non-fat sweet treat such as a small serving of non fat frozen yogurt, or a small bowl of fruit. Nearly all foods you make, one serving will suffice as fulfillment.
Also, only eat when you are hungry. Eating when you have cravings or enjoy the taste of food is never a good idea. You have to resist the temptation to eat something simply because you are in the mood for it. Likewise, remember to eat if you are hungry. Starving yourself is not going to result in your body properly losing weight. Your body will try to find other sources of calories to make yourself not starve such as protein and other nutrients used for proper digestion. This will make any weight loss exercises you do a lot more pointless.

Another rule is to eat out as seldom as possible. It not only saves me money, it also saves me a lot of calorie consuming. I get it, you're working class human, you have a busy life. Sometimes you come home and it's hard to want to just skip making your food and just eat out. Problem is, it tends to become a habit. When that happens we often find ourselves eating out once or twice a week. That becomes a problem.
 Here are some tips I started to follow to assure I do not eat out often:
   1. When you know you are going to have a long/busy day tomorrow, prepare your meal beforehand so you can either cook or heat it up when you get home.
   2. Cooking larger portions is more ideal when you know you won't have time to cook later on during the week. The leftovers you have from cooking a large meal will give you something to heat up when you don't have the time to cook.
   3. If you do eat out, do not eat your entire meal in one sitting. Instead, eat half or 3/4 of it and save the rest for later. When you do not have the time to cook, you at least have a meal you can eat to fill you up. Restaurants usually never serve you food that is meant to be eaten in one sitting.
   4. Buying or making healthy snacks will always come in handy when you need food on the go. If you buy some foods such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc; you will have food that will have stop your hunger until you have more time to eat later on. Think about searching for healthy food recipes and spend a day off making them. My girlfriend and I made apple raisin banana bran muffins not that long ago which resulted in at least two dozen muffins. Each muffin was about 100 calories a piece and had zero fat in it. It became my go to food when I knew I wasn't going to have dinner until late.
5. Remember, nearly everything you eat at a restaurant is never going to be healthier than what can be prepared at home. It can easily result in consuming 500-1000 calories more.

The fourth rule is to learn about and consume healthy substitutes. With the addition to the first rule, the smallest changes to what you put on or in your food can make all the difference.
If you enjoy ranch on your salad, go for a low fat or non-fat ranch. It will still give you the proper fat your body needs and you will be eating a lot less fat and calories. Instead of ordering large portions, go for small ones. Most likely, it'll fill you up in the end. Try to avoid unnecessary additions to your food like the use of condiments, or adding extra salt to your fries. If you do not enjoy the taste, remember that your taste buds are still use to an already unhealthy lifestyle. Once your taste buds make the adjustments, you'll find yourself having more acquired tastes and you'll wonder how you could even have stand the taste of sugary foods.
Lastly, this one is more discussed in the final rule, make healthier transitions to your preferred foods. Instead of eating your regular bread, go for ones that are Whole Wheat; they contain more fiber and the needed nutrients. If you eat cereal, have some that are higher in vitamins in minerals-such as bran flakes or oatmeal- and less on fat. If you know how to properly read nutrition facts than you will always have a guide to a healthier you.

Finally, the most important rule is to always educate yourself in proper diet and nutrition. More than a year ago my breakfast was usually a protein shake, banana, and toast with 1/2 serving of peanut butter. I thought I was eating so healthy. It wasn't until I took a nutrition class(which I would recommend anyone who wishes to change their diet to take one at your community college) that I found out I was not getting a balanced diet. Most people will get more than enough protein in their diet, and trying to get more of it without a proper education in nutrition, or a recommendation by someone who does, will do more harm than good to their body. The protein I consumed was doing damage to my bones and due to over consumption also turned to excess fat. Even with training 2-3 hours, on average, each day I was not burning off enough of the protein and fat I consumed.
The nutrition class helped a lot, but I'm still constantly educating myself in proper diet. I'm often learning new things to help shape my diet. I learned what low calorie foods will make me more full. I learned what late snacks I can eat that won't mess with my body. I learned that there are proper and improper ways to make a salad. I am always learning something new.

If you do have questions regarding diet, feel free to contact me or post on the diet board. There are a lot of great resources there to help educate you on what to and what not to eat. Keep posting your diet on your training journal, and if you would like feedback we will be here to provide.

Good luck in your weight loss!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:09:14 PM by Russell Wilkie »

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Thank you both Dick and Russell for the comments and advice. I really appreciate it.

There is one thing that I wanted to address and that was something in your comment Russell. Let me quote it here:

To me, I feel eating right is all about having the proper mindset. Last year, I always gave myself excuses for eating unhealthy. "I can work this off", "It's faster to cook pre-made meals", and "I'm taking a break from diet" where all attitudes I had about my diet. As a result, I will train but see myself gain more fat than muscle.

Now, Russell, I do know that eating right is all about having a proper mindset and by not having that and making excuses it does no good. Not for me and my health nor my reputation (by reputation I mean not following through, not being reliable). By eating the fast food I did, it was from a choice of am I going not eat anything until I get home around 5 pm or am I going to eat and give my body at least something. This is going to get personal, but the reason I chose the latter is because I had to scrounge up any change I had, and I had only about $4. About a 2/3 of that money being pennies. I did not have anything in my house to eat. That $4 fed me and my girlfriend. If I would have went to a grocery store I probably would only be able to get bananas or maybe top ramen. But even then I wasn't sure because of the city of live in here in WA. The cost of living is high, grocery shopping is hard because of the prices, and want to know why everything is a bit more expensive here? Because I live 30 minutes away from Canada and businesses like to keep their prices high because of the high traffic they receive and the revenue the benefit from.

I decided to get that fast food because I knew it was going to fill me up and help me get to dinner time. Now let me explain the other things I ate yesterday.

• 2 slices of homemade cheese and spinach pizza
  • 1 large spinach salad with sunflower seeds and ranch
  • 1 PB&J on Dave's Killer Bread
  • 1/2 orange

If some of our friends didn't make us, as well as give us, food until next payday, I would still be scrounging up change and maybe on Thursday when my girlfriend works she can get some tips (she's a waitress), depending on how much she got, would be spent on gas or food. Gas being the more important of the two because both of our jobs are about 30 minutes south of us. But basically what I'm trying to say here is that that money, change or some tips, would get us fast food. Because it's quick and easy when it's all I can afford at this point in time, but not a habit.

This week has been a weird week, my job status was in limbo because I was seasonal but finally earned a permanent position and because of an unexpected financial situation is why I have no money to get what we usually do. About 95% of the time my fridge and cabinets is filled with fruit and veg as well as healthy alternatives for snacks. For my meals, on a normal routine, is so much better and different than what I've had. So keep watch the next couple days. It will change.

Russell, please do not take my response as trying to cause issues or to combat you in anyway. I just felt the need to inform you that this is not the norm. And I really do appreciate the time and the information you put into your post. It will be the perfect reminder for me to not eat those bad foods during my weak moments. So, thank you again. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Still not the best, but no fast food. :) Also, thank goodness for great friends and the food (and gas money) they have gave us. Thanks guys. :)

Food:

• 1 Nature's Path Organic Choconut Granola Bar
  • 1/2 a can of Pepsi
  • 1/3 cup brussel sprouts (they're not my favorite)
  • 7 Ore-Ida Garlic & Herb Potato wedges (that is a serving size)
  • 2/3 BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich on a 100% whole wheat bun with about a 1/2 tbsp of mayo on the bun

Water Consumption:

• 4 glasses

Still drinking more as I type this!

Workout:

• 20 min beginners yoga

Not much, but it helped with my sore back today. First day in the back room of my position change at work. Receiving truck, pushing truck out to the floor, lots of lifting and bending. And for those that know me, I do not have the best back. Today was a bit more relaxed when it came to the work out. It should be getting better as I progress in my journey. :)

Again, please any comments or really anything is very much appreciated.
__________________________________________________________________________________

This is going to be the first day of the journaling I plan on doing as I take this journey. Not only is this for me, but perhaps it'll help someone searching for some inspiration or really anything.*

Journal:

Today the only thoughts that continued to run through my head were those of fear. Even when I woke up I was thinking about it, and honestly that's a bit unusual for me. What really got the ball rolling was when I was at work today. We have a lift called Big Joe. It looks like this:

I work at Best Buy and this helps us put TVs away and the Apple Products in the cages up top. Though I'm not going to explain my job because that's boring. Anyways, I was watching my coworker put away the TVs and I stated that I'm "absolutely terrified of heights". A bit funny if you ask me. Considering that I plan to train to what people think it's all about, "jumping off rooftops". He said that I would get used to it and after a while it wouldn't phase me. But as I thought about I had decided that he was wrong.

Now to explain my fear of heights, I will not go towards a railing on the second floor. My stomach twists in knots, I start to get heavy anxiety (and if this is at a mall, double that because of social anxiety), and I begin to panic. I try to avoid going near a railing whatsoever. Now, this isn't to say I do this for every time, because there are times where I'm fine. Such as when I'm on my girlfriends parent's porch. It's pretty high up and I'm never really that nervous while I stand on it.

To continue on, my fear of heights started most likely in seventh grade at the tender age of 12-13. I have no idea where this fear came from and why it hindered me the way it has and still does. So I began to think back into my life. And still to no avail have I ever figured out where this fear stemmed from. But I thought about a Ted Talk that Sebastién Foucan has done. Where he talks about our relationship with fear. He talks about his stunt work in the James Bond film where he jumps from crane to crane, admitting he has vertigo and is afraid of heights himself. He spoke that he spent hours and I believe even months (or maybe it was weeks) climbing the structure of the cranes to understand them better. How he overcame his fear by not only challenging it but understanding it.

And I believe that's where I need to start. Is to understand my fear, to document it in my mind or journal, and be able to come to I suppose some sort of compromise with myself. To begin a healthy relationship with fear, to understand the risks and dangers but to also know how to cope with those risks and dangers. Sometimes fear is justified and sometimes it's not.

So, the next time I'm only on the second floor, I'll move closer to the railing, breathe deep and understand everything about it. Well maybe not everything, but a decent chunk. If you don’t overcome, you don’t become. :)

As a reminder to myself and perhaps to others, to take what Sebastién says from the video, "Do not think it is safe out there, do not think it is dangerous out there: just follow your way. Just be less afraid to be afraid."

*Just a disclaimer: These are my opinions in my journaling on here. You can agree, disagree, or just not care. But I feel the need to share what I think. Plus, it helps my personal progress in my journey.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:57:53 AM by Nick Holmes »
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:59:51 AM »
I hope you don't mind but I added that missing bracket in the code to make your post easier to read. I did nothing else to your post.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »
I apologize if I came off as condescending. I didn't want it sound like you were ignorant when it came to diet nor did I want you to feel like I was making a critique of your personal life. It felt like my post was presumptuous , and again, I apologize for that.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
I hope you don't mind but I added that missing bracket in the code to make your post easier to read. I did nothing else to your post.

Thank you Nick!

I apologize if I came off as condescending. I didn't want it sound like you were ignorant when it came to diet nor did I want you to feel like I was making a critique of your personal life. It felt like my post was presumptuous , and again, I apologize for that.

Russell, it's all good. I really appreciate what you wrote and like I stated before it's a great reminder not only for me, but for whoever runs across that post. And I want to apologize to you. Because I feel like I came off like you were attacking me. So I am sorry if that post seemed to jump down your throat. Anyways, thanks again. :)

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »

Posting the day after, but still posting!

Food:

• 1 can Red Bull (smallest can)
  • 1 cup berry smoothie
  • Scrambled Egg Sandwich on Dave's Killer Bread
  • Half Honeycrisp Apple
  • Chessy Pasta w/peas and corn
  • Banana

Water Consumption:
5 glasses

Workout:

Rest day!

Not much yesterday. Glad payday is tomorrow and I can go to the grocery store. I need more veggies.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:03 AM »
Hey Ash. :)  Good to see you.

I just swung by to see if anything was still happening around here, and noticed your name in the list of recent posts.
...and you know exactly what you need to be doing (or have at least heard it before).  The challenging part comes when it's time to do the things that we know that we need to make that changes that we wish to see.

Eating right is my personal fight as well.  I know, without a doubt, that I make poor choices in this department as well.  I can do great for days, staying true to a relatively clean high-protein diet...but then I'll have a day where I'll break down and eat 5 Chicago-style hotdogs, and have a milkshake with them.

As far as what's best for fat loss: it's a mixture of conditioning and strength that I've had the best luck with.  That being said, you can STILL out-eat a rigorous training program.  I'm walking proof, as I am still inching towards the #235 mark while training hard 5-6 days a week.  In my case, this is intentional because it's the class I want to compete in.  I don't see that being a desire of yours.

Quick rundown:
1). Strength Train, it's good for you.  Do some aerobics too, but allow yourself the time to adjust to transitioning back into your routine.
2). Eat less breads, and get your lean protein up.  It's far too low.  Eggs aren't very expensive.  Eat more eggs and fish.
3). Sugars aren't helping, and you don't need me to lecture you about Pepsi.
4). It's lifestyle changes that actually make the biggest difference over time.  So many people "rubber-band" from doing exactly the right thing to doing exactly the wrong thing, because as they start to approach a goal, they let themselves stop working so hard to achieve it, and they fall back off of the wagon.  If you can start hitting those big ones such as "today, I'm not going to have a soda."  You'll slowly stack up a workable change in your life that will be reflected in how you feel.  This leads to normally doing a much better job of making your changes stick.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:28:28 AM »
Joe, thanks for replying. :) I'll definitely keep that advice in mind. Thanks. :)

Food:

• Bowl of Oatmeal with Hemp Seeds
  • 1/4 cup of coffee
  • PB&J
  • Crockpot Chicken
  • Banana

I didn't eat very much yesterday. But that's due to limiting food. Yay for getting paid today though.

Water:

5 glasses

Workout:

I went to the gym last night and did 30 minutes on the bike.

I do need to strengthen up my back. Especially my lower back because it is very weak. Any suggestions for to strengthen my back?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
Out of curiosity what makes you think your lower back is weak?

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 06:56:58 AM »
Well Dick, I threw out my back about 5-6 months ago. And from yesterday at work I came home to where I can hardly walk. Or bend. As I'm typing this it feels like my back us going to snap in half. Also I have a history of a bad back.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
I'm just shooting in the dark here, but a lot of lower back problems end up being related to weak abs instead of a weak back. I had a similar problem and working on strengthening my core and fixing my posture have gone a long, long way towards making it better. Also squatting instead of bending over has helped me out.

Planks are really good exercises. Squeeze your abs and glutes and don't let your body sag. Don't just relax in the position, try to tense up everything and align your body. This was was one of the best things for me personally. Side planks also.
For your core things like leg lifts or knee lifts are good. Also, hollow body.
For your back you can try arch holds.
If you have access to weights deadlifts are a great exercise to strengthen your back but while it's hurting definitely avoid those.
Glute ham bridges might do you some good as they'll strengthen your glutes. I personally just alternate between those and planks.

Honestly I don't know of many good lower back exercises without weights but try these and if my guess is right they might help a lot. Some stretching and mobility work might also help you a lot if your lower back is compensating for something.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I do have access to weights but I would rather my back feel better before I do those. I'll be working on my core more often because I know it'll help. Thanks again Dick.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »

Food:

• Oatmeal with hemp seeds
  • Banana
  • Scrambled Egg sandwich
  • Cream of Potato chicken breast over brown rice (yay for leftovers)
  • Apple

Water:

6 glasses

I'm happy I'm drinking more water than what I'm used to.

Workout:

• Stretching to help my lower back
  • 20 mins of beginners yoga

Went to the grocery store yesterday and we have lots of chicken and some fruit. Now to finish shopping and get some more veggies to keep in my fridge.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »

Food:
  • A bowl of fruit (mixed berries, apples, bananas)
  • 3/4 cup of coffee (black)
  • Turkey wrap in romaine lettuce
  • White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bar
  • Homemade Chicken strips
  • Spinach Salad with about a tbsp of ranch

Water:\

At least 6 glasses

Workout:
  • More stretching
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:06:50 PM by Ashley McCauley »

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
Might as well do today too and edit it later.

Food:
  • Oatmeal with hemp seeds
  • 1/2 cup of coffee (black)
  • Homemade orange chicken over brown rice
  • Peach tea
  • Homemade Mac N Cheese
  • Spinach Salad with about a tsp of ranch

Water:

3 glasses so far

Workout:
  • Even more stretching

So I've only been stretching because I've narrowed the pain that I'm feeling in my back to be my sciatic nerve. At least this is what I think it is and not what it actually is. My hips may be misaligned and I need to get them realigned. It may be a couple other things. I'm not sure. I have pain centered in my hip and down my thigh. As well as pain in my back. But the pain in my back is more of a sore back on the verge of throwing out my back when I bend in certain spots.

My left leg muscles, my left hip, and my left buttcheek when I walk are always completely tensed up. And I can hardly sit. I have to lay down to get the pain to subside some what.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:29:22 PM by Ashley McCauley »

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »

Food:
  • Natures Path Organic Strawberry Poptarts
  • Banana
  • Turkey sandwich
  • 3/4 Chicken & Gnocchi soup (Olive Garden date night!!! :) )
  • Split lunch portion if the Five Cheese Ziti, I only had about 3/4 of it
  • 1/2 of our appetizer (can't remember it right now)
  • 4 breadsticks with 1/2 alfredo dipping sauce
  • 1/2 Black Tie Mousse Cake

Definitely not the best eating day.

Water:

6 glasses

Workout:

33 mins on bike

Not that great. But one thing is that my back is not hurting anymore.

Offline iFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »
hi Ashley... first of all congrats on your decision to get in shape! I'm not the type of person that will write paragraphs but I'll give a few tips a long the way...

1. Avoid mayonnaise like the plague. That stuff doesn't taste good anyway lol...
2. Believe it or not cheese is not exactly the best thing if your trying to loose weight. Eat it sparingly...
3. Butter is another thing to add to the list of stuff to eat extremely sparringly but I'm sure you new that...
4. Pasta (linguine, penne, zitti, etc) all extremely high in carbs. If you don't do enough exercise daily then avoid them or all those carbs just turn to fat...

Oh and once you start losing weight a lot of your pain issues will go away too!