Author Topic: WHY CAN'T I DO PULLUPS!?  (Read 15347 times)

Offline SlickNic

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: WHY CAN'T I DO PULLUPS!?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
im not trying to steal the thread or anything, but in response to hanuman's post.  I think ive stumbled upon a decent handstand learning trick.  I dont know what is most challenging about them for you, but i find it hard to find the exact verticle (either not pushing my legs far enough, or too far)  I also have a problem with lifting my head up. and one day while practicing handstands i tried it with my backpack.. and i realized that my backpack would only fall off of my shoulders/head when doing a handstand when i did it correctly(almost perfectly straight).
   In otherwords... if you need help judging how far to go.. have a lightweight backpack on (i just had a journal in mine) and somewhat tight but not too tight, and do a handstand... and when it falls off your neck/back you know youre pretty perpindicular to the ground(given your not on a slant).  altho beware.. a few times it woudlnt fall even as i fell backwards ;p i thought about posting this but figured it was a bit silly

Offline Export1413

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
first post here so i thought i'd try help out

i feel your pain but in a completely different way, i ran all around my town looking for a decent pull up bar, i've begged my parents to let me attach one to my wall for a long time but no success

thus i'm forced to climb 3-4m up into a tree to find a lateral branch in my garden, it seems to me that the higher you are above the ground the harder it is to do pull ups, i might be wrong but if i am why? about 2 months ago i could do like 3 pull ups which was pathetic for me seen as i don't weigh a lot at all, now i can do 19, i practiced by using several differnt techniques

firstly, a pool

go to a pool and if they have a 1m diving board and its not too busy, you can use that to pull up on, the water will lighten your body weight a bit/a lot depending on how high the board is. You can train on this untill you can do one outside the pool

hope that helps im not an expert but it helped me

Offline ursasmaller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
speaking of negatives,  would those also help with wall climbs?

I've been working hard on wall climbs but I still can't get up.  Close, but not quite.  Now, I'm not sure if this is a strength issue or a coordination issue, but do you guys think that doing negatives on a wall would help, or would it be a waste of my time?

From a straight-armed position, I have no trouble hopping up onto the wall, it's just getting up from the hanging position I have a problem with.

Offline cnewt35

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
try putting a chair about a foot from your bar and putting your feet on it while doing pullups. Eventually you can take it away as you get stronger. Also do them every other day. When you work out it breaks up the muscles, then they rebuild a little stronger, but if you work the same muscles hard every day, they can't recover so you don't improve.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
In track practices in highschool we usually did what others here have suggested when we couldn't do pull-ups: just practice the negatives. If you have a friend, he/she can help hold you up if you need to be held up to make sure you can provide resistance on the negative instead of just falling down. Also, I would think that you could practice just doing bicep curls to strengthen your biceps, then work on your pull ups.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »
Because you have scrawny little shoulder muscles, triceps , and back muscles as well ;D
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 07:21:36 AM »
I've only got one little bit of advice for when you're doing pull-ups that hasn't been said yet.  It's more of a mental thing than an actual physical movement.

When you're doing your pull-up, don't think about using your biceps to bring your body up.  Concentrate on bringing your shoulders up to the bar.  Sounds weird, but I can usually throw 2-3 more pull-ups to my sets when I think about this than if I'm thinking about my biceps when I'm doing them.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
I've never had problems with pullups.
I can do them fine.
about 10 before my arms give out, but regardless I can do them.

I always thought pushups were harder.
I can only do about 10 pushups in a row right now.
sucks.
but then it's more like 3 set of 10-12 reps.
pullups just 10 a day and I'm done.
So I definitely need to get out there and give it more initiative

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 10:26:13 PM »
PaddyOHayes, no! Push-ups are much, much easier than pull-ups.
I remember myself 80 push-ups pretty easily and not being able to do one pull-up.
But push-ups are pretty much a cardio exercise. Now bar-dips, that's teh stuff  :P
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »
Ok.
Push up are getting easier to do, but still pretty tough.
Pull ups are sucking now, so I really need to either take a break, or drill it more. lol.

Offline vVTalonVv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
If anything, I would say do the pull ups with your palms facing away from you. Practice these more than with your palms facing you because think about it: When jumping up and pushing yourself up a wall, what does it feel like? Exactly.

Also, get a partner to help you once you are able to do 2-5 pull ups. Get onto the bar and start cranking them out. Then once you cannot do anymore, have your friend grab onto your ankles/shins (your knees have to be bent for this) and allow him/her to help you in this manner complete the rest of the set. It may not give you 100% of what a full pull up is, but at least you're doing reps and working on your strength and muscle endurance.

Hope this helped.

Offline Rilkedogg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. Try greasing the groove. I know-sounds odd.
You can find out about it through Dragondoor.com. It falls under the Naked Warrior catagory. Basically, you do assisted pull ups, a few, say 1-5 several times throughout the day. The idea is to stay as fresh as you can but up the reps. Wave the sets and reps. For instance, on one day, do 5 sets of 3. The next, do 3 sets of 2...you get the idea. As you get stronger, start loosing the bands. You will be amazed at how quickly you get up to speed. Just remember to never max out and always follow good form on each rep. Stop when you still have one or two reps left in you. This technique will work with almost all bodyweight exercises.

If you only want to do one set a day, ladder them. Do 1rep, wait just long enough so that a virtual training partner could do one. Then do 2. Wait again. Then do three. Stop when the rep isreally tough but canbe done. Do not work to failure. Wait 1-3 minutes, then go again. Try 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. This should decrease tendon fatigue since you will stop yourself before failure.

Good luck!