Author Topic: squatting after front flip  (Read 4712 times)

Offline tCong

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
squatting after front flip
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
Hey guys. I've been practicing my front flips a lot and I'm taking them outside but now I'm facing a new problem. I believe my tuck is decent but my height is severely lacking. I've tried everything from light bounces to basically punching the ground with my feet. I can rarely get enough height to land well. Even if I do get the height necessary I always land in a squat position I have no clue what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. If you need more details to help, I'll be more than happy to give them. Thanks.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: squatting after front flip
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
You could be tucking too loose, tucking too soon which would kill your height, or you  might not even be straofhtening out your legs. I think we're going to need more details, please.
One thing that can help us help you and you help yourself is take a video of yourself so we can see what is going on. Uploading an unlisted video onto youtube is a good idea if you don't want other people to see it.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline tCong

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoTaXo8RpA&feature=youtu.be

Here's a link to a video of what we recorded last week. I usually tend to land in a squat and I'm not sure what to do.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Ok so mainly what you're doing is not jumping up enough and a lot of the cause of that is what you're jumping off is ridiculously unstable. Try to find something more solid to jump off so you don't lose half your power with it shaking around.

You also don't tuck very much at all in some of your flips. You kind of just tap your knees with your hands and then untuck immediately. Tuck hard and grab the middle of your shins. Hold this for a moment (practicing a lot will get you a feel for how long) and then untuck. Coming out too early and not getting enough height are your two main problems, so I'd say fix what you're jumping off first and then work on your rotation.

Offline tCong

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
alright, we're actually heading to that gym again tonight so I'll record some more.

I agree with the unstable base but my friend insisted on using those blocks. I'll just take the top half off and see how that goes.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
Find a hard surface to jump off if you can. Any kind of mat takes power out of your jump. And awesome, post the video later and I'll check it out

Offline tCong

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bK6GOmMMiE

Here's what we did tonight. I tried tucking a little harder and I'm not landing in an as deep of squat as before. Could be a lot better. also my friend has little to none cinematography skills.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »
Nice work that's a big improvement! Basically now it just comes down to practicing it as often as you can and landing it will start to just feel natural. You're pretty much always going to land in some kind of a squat unless you start splitting your legs but don't worry about that for now. Aside from the things you're already working on also try to jump a little bit less forward so you can get a little more height. Try to land no more than 3-4 feet from where you jump by focusing on jumping up instead.

And once you're comfortable with all of that you can start to practice rolling after you flip. Any time you over rotate or even if you land in too deep of a squat, get in the habit of rolling. This gets really important when you take it outside or flip off of things.

Offline tCong

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNH0SyXlJg

Here's a small session we did in St.louis. I attempted more front flips outside. (2:20). All the attempts before that everyone said I was really close to the wall I was jumping off of, so these attempts I jumped more outward and was able to land semi-straight as well as transition into a roll. Watching the video I didn't really jump as far as I had thought and it certainly doesn't look pretty. But what do you guys think (if you can see anything).

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:12:07 AM »
I can only kind of see. It looks like you still need to jump up a little more and just keep practicing and you'll get better at landing clean.