Author Topic: Western Illinois University Parkour - Starting Interest Meeting  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Matoro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I'm Purely Epically Awesome
    • View Profile
Western Illinois University Parkour - Starting Interest Meeting
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
Hey everyone, does anyone here go to WIU and would like to start a Parkour Club with me?

Offline Matoro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois University Parkour - Starting Interest Meeting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »
By the way,can  anyone give me tips on how to start and manage a parkour club? Is my first time, and I really want to start it off well for next year.

Offline Matoro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45:26 AM »
Sorry for multi-posting, but seriously, I am really trying to bring Parkour over to my school!

I've been doing research based on other Universities that does Parkour, so I can contact them on how they started it up, dealt with insurance, obtaining experts/trainers, etc. This is so that I can bring up something to my sports director for him to follow up on.

But so far I am in no luck. When I went to some of these University's websites regarding to Recreational Sports, Parkour isn't listed as one of them. So I am coming to 2 assumptions:
1. Their Parkour is not part of a Sports Club, just an Interest Club
2. The school used to have it, but not anymore
(I mean look at these posts from the American Parkour Forums! It is over 1-3 years old! Haven't been updated since! Why?!)

Please, I really need help getting this started! I need guidance from those who successfully started a Parkour Club at their school (and is currently active) and how they go about with important necessities to get it started. It is considered a high-risk sport after all. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:48:22 AM by Matoro »

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
I started a parkour group at my high school but it's not really affiliated with the school. At first all you need to do is find other people to train with and do so ( and do so responsibly. Maintaining a good reputation is important not only for the pk community and yourself but for the school you choose to affiliate with).
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Sean1234

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »
Hello, my name is Sean and I am currently a student at Western. Before winter break I noticed a sign in WIU's rec center that said their was going to be a parkour club at western and that there was a meeting December 5th. I missed that meeting and wanted to find out if the club was started. From what is written on this page, it looks like it never happened. I used to practice parkour in Chicago with Chicago Parkour which is also know as Aero Parkour. If their is a club or you are still trying to start the club, I may be able to help. I am by no means an expert at Parkour, but I did practice for a few summers and a winter and learned the basics. If you have any questions, email me.