Author Topic: New member. 41st birthday coming up  (Read 2970 times)

Offline atmycrossroads

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
New member. 41st birthday coming up
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Hello all,

As the subject says Im new and Im gonna be having my 41st in January.
Im 5' 6" and sitting right at 230 lbs right now and Id really like to begin learning parkour.
Ive seen the APK site recommend starting with some basics and it gave a short list:
1. Jumping Landing & Precisions
2. Shoulder Roll
3. Safety Vault, Lazy Vault, Monkey Plant
4. Wall Climb, Tic Tac, Cat Leap Underbar
5. Combo Training

Are there tutorials on how to do these maneuvers on the apk site?
If not would anyone care to link me the tuts they used to get started?

Im also looking for a place to get started training. I live in south eastern kentucky, would anyone know of any parkour specific gyms or other free-runners in that area?

Thanks for any assistance guys

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: New member. 41st birthday coming up
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
Welcome!  There are loads of tutorials out there... though what I did was to Google the local parkour website for my area and go the next time they had something happening.  I found it was best to work with actual people.  Traceurs love to show people how to do what they do.

The list you have here looks pretty good, thought I definitely would stay towards the beginning of the list.  And one thing: as an older traceur, your muscles will get strong before your tendons do.  You may find you are able to do some things that you should take it easy on.  I know from experience; I fought a case of patellar tendinitis for about a year because I just kept jumping even though my tendons weren't ready for it.

My advise is to learn a few things, then train consistently, but not for a very long period of time.  Warm up well (I think Quadrupedal Movement (QM) is god's gift to traceurs), work on something that you want to improve, work on something that is fun for you, do some conditioning (strengthening), then stop until your next session.  Avoid the temptation to do "just one more"; that's where the injuries come from.  Be mindful and focus on technique every time you do a move; never just try to throw a move out there until you are good good good at it.

I've had so much fun at this art/discipline/craziness.  Now my son is 12 and we practice together.  It definitely is a great way of life.  Good luck!  Enjoy!

-Tim
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline atmycrossroads

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I havent found any parkour gyms in my area. Havent even found any basic gymnastic gyms either.

If there are any other traceurs in my area Id gladly take instruction from them.

Offline Chad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Great to have another Traceur joins us...have you tired looking at the Kentucky home page on this site. You have better luck getting in contact with others there.  Just remember start slow..you have plenty of time to improve.  http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,64.0.html] Definitely start with the dive roll..it is the one technique that will allow you to train longer.

again welcome to the site..ask questions...lots of questions.
If the sun will rise even one more time, SO WILL I!!!!

Offline atmycrossroads

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
Thanks chad! Ill check there. Id definitely like to find a local gym.
Ive taken a few martial arts courses so Im hoping that gives me a leg up.

Offline Chad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
Any luck on finding other traceurs to work with? if not you might want to start making some of you own equipment and work on the basics.  Some ideas would be a vault box (there are plans on here as well as the net) maybe a slackline to work on core and balance.  here is a link  http://learnmoreparkour.com/how-to-build-your-own-parkour-training-spot/ and above all else when in doubt improvise..let the world become your playground
If the sun will rise even one more time, SO WILL I!!!!