Author Topic: Move of the Day - Underbars  (Read 8017 times)

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
Move of the Day - Underbars
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »
Hello time for another move of the day...yeah........well todays move is underbars. A very simple and extremely flowful movement that makes up this great art. Personally one of my favorite moves.

1) Fear is another one of the kick in the balls here. You got the fear of hitting your head on the railing, Fear of not grabbing the rail...Anyone way you want to imagine yourself falling...loser...anyways!

2)Start with the run up lets say its a simple straight ahead underbar kinda level with you, But also a good ways up from your feet. (kinda like the mcdaniel underbar Akh!  ;)) So what you want to do is run at a good pace slightly faster then a jog.then when you get about 2 or 3 feet away from the railing.....

3) JUMP! lol Throw your dominant leg forward like the same motion of a dash vault and have the other one follow it. Now this is where Fear comes up and grabs your cahones!  :P. You gotta make ABSOLUTLEY SURE that you put both legs through the opening of the railing or such and that you have enough room to pull yourself through.

4) Pulling yourself through. This is the part that flows so well when you throw your legs through the object you want to place them on the ground and then just pull with your hands and arms. Then your creating a whiplash effect and pull yourself up! Make sure not to be overconfident and hit your chin...(happened to me once....Now i underbar with my chin to my chest..Still very effective lol)

Well thats todays move and i hope you get a good understanding of the basics of an underbar!

Ill leave it to everyone else to give details of other variations! But for now I'm off to tomorrow to plan my next move MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

So from The Fallen DONT FALL!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 01:32:44 PM by Demon »
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Move of the day!-Underbars
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:37:05 PM »
Yay, another one. I usually throw my non dominant leg up on dashes and underbars ... wait omg my left leg is power dominant ...

Ok, that was an unpleasant shock ...

And there are oh so many ways to do this, again. 360, lazy underbars, crazy side things, etc. Good job getting the basic one in though, although I would have said more about pulling yourself though/
PK4LIFE!

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »
good call, underbars are a bit of a mind f@#k. do them over and over and youll get them so smooth.... the back of your head will thank you

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
oh man, to this day i am scared of underbars. when i was first starting parkour i tried an underbar and didnt bring my head far enoguh up. needless to say, i had a very bad headache for a while and havent attempted an underbar for a while. I hope that soon il overcome my fear and master it. does anybody have any pointers for starting out underbars?
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 05:43:01 PM »
its nothing more than going to a potential underbar, jump through as slow as you want (it doesnt have to be as fast as possible the first time). A bit faster the next time, then faster until its a respectable underbar. take it slow.... its something you can easily work on alone for about an hour or so.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
alright il try that
thx skip
-Sublime

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
yuppers  ;)

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 07:47:43 PM »
Underbars are a favorite of mine, Im working towards getting to the point where I can do those David-Belle-Under-Window-Over-the-Door bars  ;D

All you gotta do is start slow and then speed it up. The easiest ones are rail to rail... the riskier are Rail to ground/wall.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 06:05:22 AM »
Yeah Leon, that little underbar you do in Dispersion was really cool.

Another fun excercise is popping up out of them, which is especially useful for bars that are low to the ground, so that you don't have to bend over backwards coming out of them. Point your legs upwards as you come out of the underbar and spring off with your arms. It's very hard to describe such a simple concept.

I'll try to get a short video up.

Offline Invisiblex

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Red Bull Owns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 06:40:02 AM »
johnny check out the duct tape drill (by demon i think?)

Offline silentrushman1357

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »

All you gotta do is start slow and then speed it up. The easiest ones are rail to rail... the riskier are Rail to ground/wall.

Hit the nail on the head, someone else said this as well...and as hard as it is to believe, there are such underbar movements that aren't quick, that look better slower...it's difficult to explain but as mentioned numerous times always learn underbars slowly.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 02:20:18 PM »
johnny check out the duct tape drill (by demon i think?)
alright ill check it out thx
-Sublime

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 03:07:33 PM »
ya check out demons drill. its probably the BEST underbar training tech ive ever used!