Author Topic: rollin  (Read 689 times)

Offline Lauren

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
rollin
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
ok i no its lame but i cant seem to get the roll down and i dont wanna try anything new till i get it. i keep going head over heels and i cant seem to get the across the back from shoulder to hip plz help b4 i hurt myself

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
Re: rollin
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
ok i no its lame but i cant seem to get the roll down and i dont wanna try anything new till i get it. i keep going head over heels and i cant seem to get the across the back from shoulder to hip plz help b4 i hurt myself

Hi Lauren,

The roll should be mastered before attempting any other move in Parkour. The gymnastics roll you do is fine, but that's an old habit that needs to die out. In parkour, we use a roll similar to a combat roll where we go on the shoulder first at a 45 degree angle. I teach three different approaches to the PK roll.

1. Punch your armpit

Once you're about to go into roll, make a punching motion into your armpit and tumble over it. This is an excellent way for beginners to get accustomed to going over their shoulder for the roll.

2. The accordion or hands in front method

Works well for small to large dive rolls. Your hands will collaspe in front of your as you hit the ground. Start in the squating position. Make a small dive foreward, have your hands offset as you dive. (This is key for getting the angled roll.) Your body will naturally roll to the 45 degree sweet spot.

Finishing the roll

The goal of the PK roll is to create momentum rather than stop momentum. The goal of the PK roll is to land on your tush, booty, ass, etc.; and come up to a small run from this position. Whenever I roll, I fold my support (left) leg until I sense that I completed the roll and stand up on the left foot. The foot acts as my launchpad to spring back into a run.

In closing, I hope my words actually help your problem. Feel free to use youtube for further help. Also the APK parkour dictionary is a great place to fine the tutorials.

WIP

Offline Jeremiah Townsend

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
Re: rollin
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
Stay tight

I just addressed this issue because my feet kept slamming down into the dirt when I rolled. The tighter you are, the easier it is to recover at the end. Shoulder, middle of back, opposite hip, feet, back to running.

2 more things

1. Are you practicing jumping off of small objects or just rolling in the grass?
2. Watch this video about the roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iICtT7ycUs

Then there is this video learning the Ryan Doyle technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPd29MlHpg
The easiest way to learn to live is to learn to die.
-Tuesday's with Morrie