Author Topic: Jeremiah's training log  (Read 6648 times)

Offline Jeremiah Townsend

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah's training log
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
Back to circuits # 1, changing the squats to 30 second plank raise
The easiest way to learn to live is to learn to die.
-Tuesday's with Morrie

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »
Grrrrr... losing motivation.

Decided because I sit eight hours a day in a school desk I am going to complete a sitting circuit every hour Tuesday and Thursday.this will exercise my back, legs, and forearms. a circuit scheduale to come.
-Tuesday's with Morrie

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
Thought I'd crack this bad boy open again... So an update is necessary.
I have been working out and working for the past six months and have doubled both my bench and squat maximums... I can now do a full dive kong no issue... And I work for a masonry company which will further help my muscles grow and my endurance prosper.   So on to my re-evaluated workout.
Circuits
20 elevated push ups (raised by five every week)
30 sit ups(raised by five every week)
Thirty second plank (raised by ten every week)
Thirty second right/left plank (raised by ten every week)
Five chin ups (raised by one to two every week)
Five clap push ups ( raised by one to two every week)

This will be done each Monday Wednesday and Friday
Goals:
Twenty chin ups no issue
One muscle up
One fifteen second L sit
Climb ups done with no issue
Be able to rail precision
Bench my body weight (145)

That's it.  Workouts start on Monday
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:26:26 PM by Jeremiah Townsend »
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
I don't mean to be discouraging but your routine could use a lot of work. It barely even relates to the goals you listed and is random at best.

First off, circuits are almost useless for anything but endurance training. You can't get strong with a circuit because your body doesn't have time to rest. You'll make gains initially but your progress will stall very quickly. Some very general ranges are 30-90 seconds rest for endurance (muscular, not cardiovascular), 90-180 seconds rest for mass, and 3 minutes+ rest for strength. For now I highly advise you focus on strength because strength translates to endurance much more than endurance does to strength.

Start off with a wrist warmup/mobility program. Preferably warm up your whole body. Light aerobic exercise and mobility for all your joints should do the trick.

After that comes skill work. This can include planks (because they're mostly for posture/body allignment) if you don't do them to the point of exhaustion and do them with the right form. If holding it for 30 seconds isn't extremely hard I guarantee you're doing it wrong. If you want to do them last that's also fine and then you can use them as a finisher and go to exhaustion. Your choice. Also, you can throw handstands or light parkour training in here but legitimate parkour training should be done either different days than your workouts or several hours after.

Next comes strength. You don't even have l sits in your current routine so if you want a 15 second l sit you need to change that. Do l sits first and do them on the floor. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZJoSP66HI and a 15 second l sit shouldn't take you too long.

After l sits do strength movements. Since you want to achieve a muscle up do pullups first and drop the clapping pushups for dips. Pull up as high as you can, dip low but be careful not to hurt your shoulder. This will also help your climb ups but you need to practice those separately as well since there's skill involved.
If you want to bench your bodyweight you need to bench. 3-5 sets of 3-8 reps (I'll explain this more if you don't know what I mean). Add in some kind of rowing as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZDKBnuOLFg This is a bodyweight row. Harder if you elevate your feet. Try to match reps with benching.

If you noticed this is pull and 2 push exercises. This is extremely important. If you don't balance out pushing and pulling you will develop shoulder injuries that are extremely debilitating. Don't do more than 2 push and 2 pull at first. It's too much volume for most people and can kill your gains.

Do something for your legs along the same lines. Squat and deadlift preferably but also pistols, glute ham raises, etc. Just pick 1 or 2.

So drop the circuit, rest about 3 minutes between sets, and shoot for exercises you can only do 3-8 of. When 3x8 becomes easy pick a harder progression except for pullups since you want 20 just keep working those.

Also, l sits and planks are enough for your core. If you want more exercises do hanging leg lifts but drop the crunches. They're very hard to do right and there's serious potential for a back injury when they do just about nothing for you except increase the amount of situps you can do. They're only necessary if you want to join the millitary where you're specifically tested on sit ups.

If you have any questions about anything I said ask away and I'll happily go into detail/explain what may sound like blasphemy.

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
As I know relatively nothing about working out I will take this into serious consideration... Also I did plan in working on technique on the weekends just did not include that in my plan... Think you for pointing this out and I will edit my program after further study focusing more on reaching goals then just endurance training
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
If you have any questions feel free to ask! And if you'd like some sources to find good information ask away and I'll link you to some.

I used to do a workout so similar to yours that it's actually a bit ridiculous haha. I got in a lot better shape over the course of a month or two but then my progress stopped dead. This was years ago before I had any clue about exercising and I got so much stronger when I find out what I was doing wrong.

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
I would very much like those links to learn how to properly train. Keep in mind the only resource I have is a chin up bar. I would like to put on size a bit but I want to try to keep my body lean and thin. Endurance is a huge factor in my life so endurance exercises are very important to me, I keep up with calisthenics movement  on YouTube so I can do a lot of those exercises. Thank you for the l sit video very helpful. So yeah basic summary.  Little size. Much endurance. Continue raising my bench and squat maxs. Technique. All links and other things are helpful and I think I will start my new workout on the new year
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »
Hey I'm just checking in very briefly and don't have much time for the next few days because of finals and such. For now, read this http://americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,21445.0.html

If you don't read all of it at least read the section on goals, fundamentals of bodyweight strength, and integrating bodyweight and barbell. Try to at least skim all of it, though.

Next, read all of this http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq. It might take you a while and might seem confusing but break it up section by section if you have to. It's all actually pretty basic information and by the end of both these you'll know way more than most people.

Fair warning: most things you're going to read here are biased towards increasing strength and size and not focused on muscular endurance. This is because for the vast majority of people getting stronger is the most beneficial thing (this is especially true in parkour). Understand, though, that gaining size is all about diet. If you don't eat to gain weight you won't gain weight. People don't get huge on accident.

So while we're on the subject, why is endurance important to you? And understand that muscular and cardiovascular endurance are two different things. Muscular endurance includes things like tons of pushups while cardiovascular is running. But yeah, strength helps a lot with muscular endurance (pushups are easy if you can do dips) while endurance does little for strength (80 pushups isn't going to help you do a planche).

If after reading everything your main goal is still endurance you need to set specific endurance goals. I'd say 20 pullups and 20 dips are solid endurance goals and you do basically the same thing but you keep increasing reps instead of finding a harder progression and you don't rest as long between sets. There are also a bunch of other ways to improve the amount of reps you can do but I think it's better to stick with a basic program and improve over time.

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
Well I totally fell off the wagon here. I'm having serious issues making myself a plan because I don't know what I want to do to improve. Anyone know how to get past this?
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
It all depends what you wish to improve. Are you focusing more towards body building or are you focusing more on Parkour and Freerunning?Do you wish to improve your physical being, your techniques, or both?

When it comes to body building, it can get very tedious fast. Like Dick has said before, implement some Parkour techniques into it or else you'll get bored of your workout all together.

What helped me get through that feeling of not knowing where to go was to write an annual goal list of what I wish to accomplish by the end of the year.

They are never small goals either. They are goals I know will take me a long while to get down and there are multiple goals I write up. This year I have a total of 15 some goals that will probably take me until fall to master at least half of them. Remember to always aim large, because even if you fail you will accomplish great things.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
To be honest it kind of just comes down to what you want to achieve. If you're really unmotivated set a few long term goals and a few sort term ones and get to work achieving them. If you can't think of a good way to go about it then post here and we'll help you get on the right track.

If you can't think of any goals then I encourage you to do one of two things. The first is to test yourself on a variety of exercises and movements. How many pullups can you do? Dips? Can you muscle up? How many climb ups? How about every vault you know? Rolls? Landings? Try all of these and look for things that you feel aren't good enough and boom, you have at least a few goals.
The other option is to just play around and have fun with your training. This is just to help you enjoy training without worrying about anything but doing your own thing. It might help you mentally get back in the right place and get motivated.

Also, just want to point out that body building and strength training are very different things. Body building, to me, is pretty boring but strength training is sometimes as fun as parkour and incredibly beneficial. To be honest I'd probably make the argument that the average person would be better off starting a strength routine than starting parkour for just improving their daily life.