Author Topic: What is your best recovery? (nearly wiping out but preventing it)  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Caleb Monkey Lewis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Monkeyin' it up since 03/26/11
    • View Profile
    • My sketch comedy and parkour trio!
I had one where I was doing a monkey over a about 5 foot wall, not really high but my heels hit it and I started tipping forward, but I was able to stick my arms back into a dash formation and correct myself and land it! :D

what's your best one?
"Impossible is a word found in the dictionary of fools"   -Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: What is your best recovery? (nearly wiping out but preventing it)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
A while back I was drilling precision jumps onto a rail. One of the precision jumps I did I ended up not jumping with enough distance. I ended up clipping my feet on the rail. On the other side of the rail was a five foot drop onto concrete. I quickly reacted and tucked myself into a dive roll. It was a very sloppy dive roll, but I still managed to get the roll. When I got up I wasn't hurt, but I was pretty surprised how close I was from hitting my face onto the concrete.

Offline Jeremiah Townsend

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »
I had just jumped from a ten foot wall onto the ground, not knowing there was an identical ten foot drop about five feet farther. Ended up dropping twenty feet onto concrete. I had only planned to land but I tucked instead and ended up rolling under a rail and sliding down a slant to the third floor below me.
The easiest way to learn to live is to learn to die.
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
I was trying to jump onto a rail about waist high, a jump I can normally easily do, but this time I had somehow manage to catch the crook of my left arm and both my ankles (I don't even know in what order or how), next thing I know I'm swinging down, face-first towards the stone bench that's immediately next to the rail, so I pulled inwards towards the rail with my left arm while bringing my right hand down on top of the stone bench and performing a face-saving variation of a gate vault.

Though, there was this other cool save where I was trying to monkey over my vaultbox, just a little below my chest, clipped both feet, somehow brought one back and up onto the top of the vaultbox, and kind of jumped off to save myself from falling forward. It was pretty neat because it somehow flowed really smoothly.

Offline kenny nivens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:31:28 AM »
i was practicing long fall kongs when my feet clipped the rail. the fall was probably ten to 12 feet, and I was falling chest/face first so I brought my legs under me, hit the ground painfully but enough to get me going forward and rolled out of it.
Have you ever thought, could do?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
There were two garbage cans against each other and I was trying to kash vault them, but I'm not very good at kash vaults. I managed to jump up and knee the first can so the second one got knocked over, and I was sort of perched on the first one as it fell onto the other one. I fell off the can and had to roll without getting my feet under me like a dive roll.

Offline Trevor Welch

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »
I was trying to side vault over a bar and land on the balcony below me, but I got caught on the rail and had to grab it with one hand and flip around with the other. I buised my side pretty badly, but I managed to save a 6 story drop to the road below.

Offline Christopher De Bow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
Once upon a time in my younger and more reckless years,
I decided to climb a wall.
A big wall.
Very big.
The handholds weren't ideal for climbing, and I slipped and was left dangling from one hand some 40-odd feet above the ground.
However, I didn't look down, and I finished the climb.

Offline James Mellen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • make your own path, be like water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
so far my worst ever fall was when i was climbing in the winter. i love climbing trees, really big ones with alot or mildly alot of branches. so, i just finished climbing up a 4 story tree and decided to perch all assassins creed style on the very top (note, i usually just lay down on a branch little bit less from the very top since the braches get a bit thin ). so, i had one foot in a grove and was leaning out with one hand free enjoying the cold breeze and view..when the grove i had planted my foot on snapped (causeing me to fall, breaking the other branch i was holding onto  :( ) when i was falling ( i dont know, but it was a better bliss then the epic view and breeze at the top ) i somehow managed to use my forarms to guide my body down 2 stories to land in a improvised percision on another branch. i dont know how i managed to get down, i was shaking with sooo much adrenaline that my pinkie toe was vibrating lol :P. i still have the scars on my forarms  :-\ . but it hasnt stopped me from climbing  ;D
people are too mental, BE yourself, BE who your heart wants you to be. become more intune with your body and dont get too mental.

Offline parkour12321232

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:22:06 AM »
This one is just....

I fell off 1 story balcony back facing road and some how i just went for a backflip and land it :)))) now when i try a backflip i cant WHY??!!?

Offline Dylan Bowman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »
I was jumping a small gap from a wooden park table to a stone wall not much higher if all (I recorded me doing other stuff in a video) but I messed up while jumping and tossed my body sideways and barely saved my head from smashing off the stone even though I slightly injured my arm and side

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
Gonna revive this thread =p.

Today I went to practice side flips in my backyard and on my second attempt the dirt broke loose under my foot and I ended up upside down without any rotation at all and barely managed to do a sloppy vertical roll and not get hurt. I came so close to landing directly on my head.

Offline Jeremiah Townsend

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:55:46 AM »
a few weeks ago I was practicing dive rolls in my yard and I had this crazy idea that i should vault my dog with a dive roll... I thought she would move out of the way with the speeding person above her but she didn't. I clipped my feet with her body and landed directly on top of my head like a breakdancer. I believe I am an inch shorter to this day because of that stupid mistake
The easiest way to learn to live is to learn to die.
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
It's generally recommended you don't practice on or with non-stationary objects until you've come to feasibly expertise a technique.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.