Author Topic: Nick's Progress Log  (Read 21586 times)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Nick's Progress Log
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
In this log I will be putting down the basics of what I or my group and I did that day, along with how we progressed since last time. We usually jam after school tuesdays and thursdays, I train alone on the rest of the weekdays.

THURSDAY, APRIL 11, 2013

We didn't do much of anything today with cold hands. (Matt, Gaylin, and I)
We discussed my runs in the video and what music we should put in. Gaylin and I made a short stupid video of us charging at each other than vaulting opposite direction when we got close. Tried to figure out the best way to get over the rail after the catleap in my run.

Notable Progress
I worked on the sit-spin and I can do it most of the time, when I'm not laughing. Showed Matt and Gaylin a little bit about reverse vaults and Gaylin attempted to kong a picnic table shortways a couple times(to no avail). I got better using my arm strength in kong to precisions.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Nick's Progress Log
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
Awesome man! I've been waiting for you to start a log. Looking forward to checking out your updates.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
 Thanks for the support  :) I might get to try out some flips at diamond academy saturday  ;D
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:41:49 AM »
I was wondering if you were gonna start a log, glad that you did  ;D.

By the sit-spin do you mean when you do like a lazy vault and spin around the rail? I just kinda learned those recently too but they're so sloppy haha.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Yes I meant that. Since I learned from Jesse La Flair's tutorial I called it the italian job for a while but then realized how wrong it could sound, heh. I can't count how many times I nearly racked myself because my friends made a joke as I attempted it.

FRIDAY, APRIL 12, 2013

Worked on some power, technique and confidence.
I brought our a flat rail that was about three fingers wide and practiced precisions onto it, anything more than about five or six feet I choked. The bulk of it was getting more acquainted with using power in kongs and sticking the landing like precisions. Did the simple two handed vault starting from a cat position so it would be more fluid in my upcoming video. Practiced making the lazy look and feel natural and coming at it with my right side. I ended with a flips on the trampoline as a memory and technique refresher for tomorrow.

Notable Progress
Much more confident in using the rail for precisions (it being weighted down now is part of it) and right handed lazys. Big improvement on kong power, can go uphill into the vault with little trouble and get further onto the porch(third row of nails).
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
SATURDAY, APRIL 13, 2013

Diamond Academy wasn't open when we got there so we went to a park instead. Their desk hours and pk open gyms hours don't match.
The park didn't have too much to offer, the height of many things on the playground made it difficult. Gaylin tried some more to kong the picnic table shortways and kept psyching out or doing a kash instead. There was a lot of tag; fences were climbed, nets were hurdled, and many a ramp were ran up. He and I gave Matt pointers on kongs, Matt needs to stop splaying out his knees or toes. I got the other two to pay attention on the progressions for the sit-spin. I am not entirely sure if Matt understood at the end. We took a small amount of footage on a phone to improve our lazys. We worked our more familiar movements with the objects at the skatepark so we can handle a wider variety of obstacles with ease.

Notable Progress
Even more confidence in my kongs now that I got to do them on new obstacles. Fixed foot placement on cat balances, slight tweak in hurdle technique, and I am getting used to the new shoes.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »
Didn't end up training monday.

TUESDAY, APRIL 16, 2013

Just me and Matt today, we worked on tic tacs, cat leaps, and a handful of vaults. Got to explain a lot today to Matt about technique and going barefoot. It was just a bit windy today, not too cold for hands. We practiced just climbing around everything. I wasn't consistent on my sit-spins today for whatever reason. Matt worked a little on lazys and I on dive rolls. At the end we slipped in a couple wall runs on on the stone bleachers.

Notable Progress
Matt is getting a little better at keeping his knees in for kongs, he can cat leap without placing his feet on a edge. Even when I was failing in my sit spins I knew exactly what I did wrong. I much better at doing reverse vaults on new/unfamiliar objects, especially low ones. Matt can wall run 9'8" and I got 9'10". Pretty proud that Matt learned them and got them down so fast. He finally has something under his belt that rivals me and Gaylin so he won't feel like the "newbie" all the time. I can rely on my new shoes even though my feet still feel blind.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:11:25 PM by Nick »
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
I didn't get in my usual two hours today or yesterday so I will just lump them together into one update.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 17 & THURSDAY, APRIL 18, 2013

Because of weather and individual plans of people in the group, there was no jam. It was cold and very wet both days.
There was a lot of small things, since most areas were too slick to do vaults. Lots of precisions, cat balancing, and backflip practice on the trampoline. Sprinkled throughout was some uphill and downhill QM, striding, rolls and cat leaps. I also practiced doing front flips on the trampoline in a tight fashion so I had enough room on the trampoline to roll out without rolling off. I finished up today with some speed vaults on my retaining wall but the exit was onto higher ground and my feet would land in the mud :/

Notable Progress
My QM canter is improving a little and I can cat balance further around the trampoline. Speeds feel a little bit more natural.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 2013
Injury
My foot has been sore as of last night, I plan on resting for the weekend, hopefully that is enough. Since I have nothing else to put here I might as well describe how it hurts. It is mostly a pressure-like pain in my left foot where my first metatarsal and proximal phalanx connect, the pain is on the "padded part before my big toe". I experience pain when I put weight on that part of the foot and especially when I bend my foot at the MTP joint while walking, where the pain is. After walking around today, including up and down stairs my foot is sore.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Been a while, my foot is been much better.

THURSDAY, APRIL 25, 2013

Just me and Matt again. Was getting on to him a bit about not sitting around.
A little bit of kash vaults and few precisions. I am trying to stop getting psyched out as much. I pretty much lost my ability to correctly do the sit-spin. I attempted to reprogram my body by drilling it for a short while. We also did some kongs, speeds, reverse vaults, and rolls were done. Towards the end we got some wallruns(with high fives to mark height) and some of my failing sit-spins.

Notable Progress
Matt and I hit the 10ft mark on the stone bleachers today. Matt isn't splaying his knees out as much but ends up crossing his legs half the time. Wee bit more confidence. I no longer have to alter how I walk since my foot feels better.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
Had a cold the last three days, I still took medicine just in case today but I had no problems.

MONDAY, APRIL 29, 2013

Adam C finally got time to train since he didn't have track practice, we had a group of four.
There was a lot of moving from place to place showing Adam some movements. Since the rest of the group wanted to show him so much I am eager to get to practice and drill movements with him instead of just drowning him in movements and new knowledge. We did a lot so I will just put a hard list: Safety, Speeds, Lazys, basic two handed vaults, turn vaults, precisions, strides, monkey vault progressions, cat leaps, kash, dive kongs, reverse vaults, sit-spins, wall runs, tic tacs, and a little bit of dash progressions. Because of how loose Adam was and maybe what he expected we were strict with him and partly because how many people there were at the park. We actually had our fist encounters today. One man, likely a coach who we did not see, asked us to please walk around the fence instead and we had a police officer approach us and ask us about people trying to climb the wall to trespass at pool which we were training at. I feel like we handled the situation and the cop seemed to be o our side. Sadly I didn't take a chance to explain what freerunning was even though he didn't ask. He was respectful and if anything didn't want people to think we were up to no good.

Notable Progress
Matt can pretty much do a monkey given his form is perfect and he has clipped a few times. Adam was a very fast learner and got quite a few things down: lazys, turn vaults, safetys, monkey progressions, precisions, strides, wall runs, and cat leaps. Gaylin improved a bit on his wall run, as did I(my shoe kept falling off though). I did not do that many sit-spins but I did them well everytime.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
We had everyone training from yesterday and then a new recruit, who is on the last straw after recent events I am not going into detail about.

TUESDAY, APRIL 30, 2013
Since we had Derek, the new recruit for most of the time we went through about a third of the movements we did yesterday.
Discounting all we did to teach the new guy we worked on kongs, this one movement Hatpins(Gaylin) made up, speed vaults, reverse vaults, precisions, underbars/laches(the bar was in a weird position...), and tag. We are getting a lot more serious and less like a bunch of friends jamming each practice, something I am proud to say.

Notable Progress
Everyone who has gotten a chance to go to at least two days can kong, although not perfectly or consistently. Matt and Hatpins are getting closer to being able to kong the picnic table longways as I am doing in my profile picture. Everyone but Derek can now kong this rail that is about chest height on me and I am 5'7".

P.S. Our unofficial name is Team Avian and we might be getting more beginners soon.(Woot! :D)
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Been a while. Weather, other people, and stress put me on hold.

MONDAY, MAY 6, 2013
Todays training had more intensity than usual to compensate for the limit time I have due to incoming finals.
Drilled some precision landings, precisions, tic tac to cat out(a movement I saw in demon drills that I utilized so I could properly train tic tacs at my house), rolls onto waist high objects, box jumps, and strides. I ripped part of my hand just as I was starting training and the band-aid would not stay on. I did not do many vaults so I wouldn't get infected.

Notable Progress
I fixed my landings to a degree and slightly adjusted run ups.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
TUESDAY, MAY 7, 2013
Hatpins had just got over a cold and was sore from weight lifting, Matt had poison ivy, and I have a cough still from my cold. Derek was the only normal one our lazy day today.
We did some practice learned movements and taught Derek a little on wall runs. We did tic tacs, speed vaults, kongs, lazys, kash vaults, wall runs, backflip progressions, and that movement in which you swing 180 degrees around a pole but ours was slanted. In addition I practiced with and helped Derek with safety vaults and I did some sit-spins.

Notable Progress
I did a good speed vault over a picnic table and Derek and Matt have gotten better at precisions. Hatpins was able to do the assisted backflip(the progression I mentioned earlier, its like using gymnastic rings that stay in place.)
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
I am busy as of late so my updates may be irregular until the 24th

WEDNESDAY, MAY 8, 2013 & THURSDAY, MAY 9, 2013
I did a smaller and quicker circuit today of what I did yesterday for time and weather conditions (AH! Thunder!)
I did some precision practice, speed vault practice, obstacle rolls(maybe thats the name for what I mention on 5/6/13), reverse vaults strides, trampoline backflips with focus on good form, cat leaps trying to work on distance and hand form, barefoot training(small precisions, those helped a lot, and walking my gravel driveway and back), and slight double kong progressions training on the trampoline.

Notable Progress
I adjusted my thumb in my cat leaps I won't hit it, I've seen improvement in my arches so that lead to the barefoot training, I am leaning back less on my flips as far as I can tell by my landings, I figured out how to impact my hands and wrists less, partially corrected some bad habits on my precisions, and improved my strides by a bit.

When I get out of school and after I take my break, in late may, I will need help to make a full and structured workout for the summer. A full body plan that includes the mileage I need  to build for cross country incase I do it next year (four to six miles a day). I won't have full access to weights or obstacles, the majority of the time I will just be at my house.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
Ugh, finals and a cold. Didn't get to train until today.

TUESDAY, MAY 14, 2013
Just Adam and I.
When we were at the layton center I fixed his safety a bit then had two slips ups in a row when trying to demonstrate a speed vault. The first happened because I didn't lift up my lower leg and so I smashed my knee during the scissor kick part. The second attempt was a mistake due me drill taken place on wide objects and not rails. So my hand was completely flat, resulting in me ... sliding. No injuries from todays fails, only laughter. Adam also had the most epic fail I have ever seen in person. We were fixing his tic tacs and his foot glanced off the object and was too high.
We worked on lazys, speeds, kongs, and I taught him sit-spins. Adam is quickest to learn movements of any person I have personally met. I was able to redeem myself and do speed vault on a rail later. We did a decent amount of repetition, even if it was a bit random. We also had an audience for a short period, but they didn't stay long at all.

Notable Progress
I didn't have much progress because I haven't been training very much lately but Adam got better at everything I mention especially the  sit-spins which he can pretty much do now.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 15, 2013
'Twas hot today.
Trained a lot of speeds today, really paying attention to making sure my second leg clears nicely and I drilled some on the trampoline making certain I had a good grip on the rail in addition to clearing well. I for the rest on the time I spent training was precisions, going to a lower spot and normal precisions. I slipped in some kongs, reverse vault, and cat leap practice in there as well.
Today was easy because I'm still taking medicine in the morning for my sore throat.

Notable Progress
Fixed a small amount of bad habits and noticed more to fix.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Whopping update, it's a little hard to remember everything. Forgot to mention on 5/14/13 that I somehow was not able to kong the picnic tables longways like I usually could.

THURSDAY, MAY 16, 2013
Had a recruit who didn't end up joining. We did not end up doing much besides teaching her the basics. I felt kinda bad because she fell on her first attempt at a vault. Later on Matt joined me, Hatpins, and the recruit. Lots of small stuff, nothing new.

TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2013
Hatpins, Matt, and I discussed our team a lot and moved about as much. Mostly justed drilled movements we already knew besides me helping Matt with his speed vaults. As for talk we discusses the logo further and talked about the future of Team Avian. A guy showed up before I left but was just sitting around. After they left it figured out that he knew some flips and vaults but was lost in terminology and knew some flips from some kind of gymnastics(not sure on all that, I was not there) and apparently he is really good.

WEDNESDAY, MAY 22, 2013
My last day of school, I thought I would have a long training session by myself. I did have that for the most part but towards the end I saw others doing a little parkour who I knew did it, but never really met them. We showed each other some stuff for a bit then Tony and Brandon wrestled for a while, which was pretty entertaining. After the other two wrestled a bit and then Tony wrestled a lot more I wrestled Tony and he gave up pretty quick. My solo training was pretty productive. I was drilling my kongs and speeds a lot to get my arc a bit better so I could take a little more pressure off my hands. Lots of tic tacs, many of the left footed one(my focus during the tic tac drills) were not the best. My sit-spins were good after getting a small bit of nerve from training alone in public. I was able to kong a picnic table that was my height at the end(this table is the only table that is this short, most tables at the park are roughly seven and a half feet.)

THURSDAY, MAY 23, 2013
Woo filming! And then the battery dies.... (Adam, Hatpins and I)
We talked out many shot ideas and got two done. FYI the video is a long ways off, my tentative guess is August. I know I can do the longways kong but I have had a mental block and I couldn't kong the short table for a short time today. We also got in some training. I was helping them improve the 180 pole spin thing and on reverse vaults. Practiced a backflip progression, laches, and kongs. Hatpins showed us the new gap to precision which is really good to drill. Because of how long we were there (~5hr) things wound down and we ended up sitting there for about fifteen minutes goofing around and talking.

Notable Progress
Got some of the mental block I have over the longways kong out of the way. Found out a reverse vault is not hard to do on a picnic table. Adam's kongs are looking pretty good. He can do a sit-spin whenever he wants although its not near clean yet. My sit-spins are clean more often. Adam can do a half-decent reverse vault and so can Hatpins, they need more practice with them to really get them down. We have a morsel of footage and have a better sense of team direction. We now have an official facebook group, email, and twitter. The twitter is going to be very active soon but I will have more tweets about my own progress and the team's progress soon.
Twitter

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
FRIDAY, MAY 24, 2013
Back to the essentials means of chase/escape.
Started Running again, will did it before the rest of the workout. Ran a slow two miles going down and back Beaver Creek which has a Hill at the the end. My phone lost my time when I recieved a text. Typing this part and contributing to the 3k miles is my rest period.

Along with distance running I did some drills that are are the essentials for a chase/escape. When I put on my normal shoes(I have running shoes for longer distances) I noticed i forgot my arches and just went with it. Everything was slightly harder because I also had to focus on maintaining arch support with just my muscles. First off was rolls, which always can be improved. Secondly there were safety vaults, making sure I used both left and right hands and not just using them to get over an obstacle but onto and down. Thirdly were hurdles. These I had to adjust for today so the landings wouldn't hurt my feet which made them a bit awkward. Last were sprints. I am guessing they were about 50 meters, from the northernmost evergreen to the closest sick tree. I had to slow down here because of my arches again. Ballpark of 70% max speed for the five sprints I did. My left foot got sore on the third sprint and on the fifth is when my right foot began to ache. Now that I am sitting down they feel better.

Todays workout was thought up during my two mile run and inspired by past thoughts about what would be realistically necessary when you needed to get somewhere quickly on foot. The first part was mostly for mileage but I bet there many circumstances when distance is required in an emergency. Fifty meters should be enough to get away from danger and to a safe place. Hurdle is the most practical of all vaults and the safety is the best option when caution and going slow is needed.

Notable Progress
I'll consider the running as I haven't really ran for a couple weeks. My arches (or rather the supporting muscles) have gotten better, faster. I can easily adjust aspects in my roll to other techniques, the ones shown in the advanced roll technique video by Ozzi.

Additional Notes: I will be expanding my workouts and how much I time I have now and expanding what and how much I write down. I will adjust the layouts of my entries a little to better organize them aswell.
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Glad your arches are starting to feel better! Your training is looking good, and I can't wait to see that video when it comes out. How about a teaser?  ;D