Author Topic: KNEES  (Read 1563 times)

Offline RivQua

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • rivqua.com
KNEES
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:17 AM »
How do I stretch them, warm them up, make sure they don't get hurt!

The problem I have with knees is that I can't figure out how to work them out specifically, so I am not really strengthening them, so I am worried that they are getting hurt.

Any ideas?
***rivqua.com***

Offline jake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: KNEES
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »
You don't really work out your knees. You work your thighs and your calves, but your knee is only a joint. Here is a website I found that discusses stretching your knee.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363

In my opinion, the best thing you can learn to help your knees is how to roll effectively.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
Yeah knees are a joint, not a muscle. Things like weighted squats (with good form!), deadlifts, and other exercises to increase leg strength will go a long way towards preventing injuries. Aside from that, technique. Proper landings and rolling will take a lot of stress off your knees. I don't know about stretching the knee, but ankle and hip mobility are also important for keeping stress off the knee.

acrobatlegend

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
How do I stretch them, warm them up, make sure they don't get hurt!

The problem I have with knees is that I can't figure out how to work them out specifically, so I am not really strengthening them, so I am worried that they are getting hurt.

Any ideas?

Can't stretch knees.
Warm them up by jogging or running around.
Don't get hurt by using proper form and technique in your skills.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
Stretch your legs after a workout too, no use in having strong muscles if your tendons and joints can't handle it.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »
Lunges is from my experience the best exercises for strengheting the muscles around the knee. Either to non-weight or with weight.

Squats is also a good exercise. Weight or without weight. If you do them without weight remember to do them very very slowly and controlled.

You can also do static workout, such as standing in the squad position for a certain amount of time. This is good for avoiding injuries (and also to rehab).

Offline Caleb Monkey Lewis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Monkeyin' it up since 03/26/11
    • View Profile
    • My sketch comedy and parkour trio!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
I like doing high knees
"Impossible is a word found in the dictionary of fools"   -Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
The absolute best thing I've found for warming up the knees is this: crouch down a little, put your hands on your knees, and do little circular motions and progressively do bigger and deeper circular motions. I usually do twenty circles then switch directions.
This will warm up all of the muscles right around the knee. For stretching your knee to protect it I recommend stretching your quads, calves, thighs, glutes, and the back of your leg(don't know what it's called). This releases any pressure on your knee joint. I had patella tendonitis last summer but I've kept it away by stretching before(15 second static stretches) and after(30 second static stretches) training. Just make sure to be warmed up before stretching.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:07:15 AM »
Static stretching before training is a bad idea. It has its uses, but not before training. Here's a quick article, there's tons more research on it if you want to look deeper.

http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-do-static-stretches/

Also holding a static position like standing in a squat isn't very effective because isometrics only strengthen the muscles at about the range of motion that you hold them at. This means extended hold times at multiple different positions instead of just doing a squat.

Offline Jaden Fennec

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Everyday I Test My Limits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
My knees usually before and after i do a jam have bubbles in them, and REALLY hurt after, so what should i do? well ive tried static stretches but as the guy b4 me said, they suck before training.
Understand that this art has been created by few soldiers in Vietnam to escape or reach; this is the spirit I'd like parkour to keep. Its up to you to determine what is useful in an emergency situation, and what is'nt.
                   -David Belle