Author Topic: Saftey First  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Saftey First
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:53:53 PM »
I've been "doing" parkour for 2 months. Its mostly been safety vaults over park benches and I want to start trying other things but I want to be able to be able to roll and jump higher/ farther. When I roll I seem to fall on my back more than anyone or I hit my shoulder or hip. Any tips and for the precision jump, I can barely jump 5' and 3"-4" up w/o bending by legs up. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline Dakota

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • No Obstacles, Only Opportunities.
    • View Profile
Re: Saftey First
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:56:31 AM »
Practice, training, progression, and commitment. These are the 4 elements I believe what makes a traceur better. Nobody became good at parkour in one year, or even two years starting from a blank slate like me. I used to be fat a year ago, I couldn't do anything. I had terrible balance and my running speed clocked at around 8 mph (I'm not joking). now, I have above average balance and I can sprint over 15 mph (according to a treadmill) Now, on to that advice.

"When I roll I seem to fall on my back more than anyone or I hit my shoulder or hip"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice on the grass! It sucks I know but we all and I mean "ALL" had to do this at some point. Drill it for a day or two on level ground, then start jumping off of small objects and don't increase height until you have it dialed down. Stop increasing height when you get to something above your body height. You need a little more conditioning for high drops even if you are rolling. As for improving your form, its really hard to explain in text. Look up PK rolls on YouTube, and watch lots of them, try different methods and such and find which one works for you.

"Any tips and for the precision jump"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is how I started practicing precision jump's.
I would go outback and get 2 2x4 pieces of wood. Place them side by side at a distance and try the precision. If I stuck the landing, I would move the 2x4's farther apart. Funny thing is I am here one year later with 11 foot precision jumps and I STILL do this! but it doesn't take EXTREAM AWESOMENESS to get a respectable precision.

I can barely jump 5' and 3"-4" up w/o bending by legs up

You want to bend your knees, it stops momentum and absorbs impact. As long as your not keeling over and falling your fine.

Like I said before. Practice, training, progression, and commitment. Also, when doing parkour, try not to think of it as "Parkour" or that your "Training". When I practice I usually just pretend I am a kid again. Because I mean hey. We are pretty much playing around like kids with disciplined movements in an urban environment right? Anyways. Sorry for the super long reply. I just love it when people become part of this discipline. Also, try looking up a film called People in Motion. It was seriously moving for me and it gives you the general idea of the parkour/freerunning philosophy.

Also, try looking up on the internet about parkour in your area. we are literally everywhere. Training with others while beginning will prevent you from developing pet peeves and bad habits, plus its funner.

Good luck! and welcome to Parkour.
There is a difference between simply being alive, and living. What do you gain by just simply eating and breathing? What is your life worth when you have nothing to lose?

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:43:31 AM »
You can't miraculously improve your rolls, you just have to keep practicing them until you learn them right.

As for your jumps, you need to improve your leg strength and technique. Learning how to swing your arms in synchro with your jump won't phenomenally boost your distance, but it will assist. Building your over-all leg strength goes a long ways in jumping, in fact more so than anything else. Squats, pistols, and lunges are few non-weighted exercises you can do. Weighted squats, presses, leg lifts, etc. Anything involving your legs and using them to exert force to move a given weight will improve your leg strength, and ultimately your jump distance. Don't forget your glutes, as those factor into your jump, I just forget how.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
Don't forget your glutes, as those factor into your jump, I just forget how.

For clarity:  The reason that squats are preferred for training leg strength is the carry-over into the "glutes" (and actually the entire posterior chain.)  When you bend forward, the posterior chain is what brings you back to an upright posture.  Do it fast, and it becomes a jump.  Up to a point, there is a significant relationship between posterior chain/leg strength and jumping ability.

Best of luck in training.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
Are you saying to do squats fast? ???

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice. I have already lost 10+ lb since I joined the forum and have finaly got back under the 200 lb mark. As for practicing on grass, I have been doing that but since there is done on the ground I practice on carpet. What I mean by without bending my legs, I mean once I am vertically in the air, jumping for height, I don't bend my legs up after leaving the ground but i bend my legs in "lift-off" per say. This I am doing since I need to work on my verticals fro my school's volleyball team.
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
 ;D Keep it up!

Offline Dakota

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
Keep it up bro. I look forward to hear about your progression.
There is a difference between simply being alive, and living. What do you gain by just simply eating and breathing? What is your life worth when you have nothing to lose?

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »
Practice, training, progression, and commitment. These are the 4 elements I believe what makes a traceur better. Nobody became good at parkour in one year, or even two years starting from a blank slate like me. I used to be fat a year ago, I couldn't do anything. I had terrible balance and my running speed clocked at around 8 mph (I'm not joking). now, I have above average balance and I can sprint over 15 mph (according to a treadmill) Now, on to that advice.

Like I said before. Practice, training, progression, and commitment. Also, when doing parkour, try not to think of it as "Parkour" or that your "Training". When I practice I usually just pretend I am a kid again. Because I mean hey. We are pretty much playing around like kids with disciplined movements in an urban environment right? Anyways. Sorry for the super long reply. I just love it when people become part of this discipline. Also, try looking up a film called People in Motion. It was seriously moving for me and it gives you the general idea of the parkour/freerunning philosophy.

Good luck! and welcome to Parkour.

What's the difference between practice and training?

Offline Dakota

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
What's the difference between practice and training?

I like to think of Practice as just doing the parkour and training as focusing on one thing at a time.

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
Oh, okay Dakota.

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
I've been practicing and I am getting better but I have hit my shoulder so many times that it hurts on every roll. I have watched JessieLaFlair's and the TappBrother's tutorials but I still end up hitting my shoulder. I guess just more drilling to get it down correctly. The grass has been too wet so I've been doing it on carpet which is softer than concrete but harder than grass.
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Have you ever tried going into the roll more sideways, instead of just rolling forward into it?

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
Yes but when I  do, I tend to go a little too sideways I start doing barrel rolls.
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
Does it hurt more or less often than the roll you are doing now?

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »
Its hard to tell with a bruised shoulder and with being sore from lifting. But I think it hurts less the way I do it. A little to the outside of my shoulder to a little inside of my hip bone.
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
Well stick with what is most comfortable!  ;D And again, keep it up!

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Just an update, I have made my school's volleyball team and my vertical is 14" which will only be getting better as the season progresses with conditioning and practice for hitting (spiking).
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
Awesome  ;D